View Full Version : trainee salary - UK NATS

lucycowan
23rd Sep 2009, 16:35
just wondering if anyone can tell me how much a trainee salary is while at college in bournmouth is there accomodation available as i have family wife and 3 children would it be worth upping them too much info appreciated to anyone who can help thanks :confused:

Glamdring
23rd Sep 2009, 16:43
Salary is £10k per annum plus accomodation allowance. Works out about 970 quid in hand per month.

I left my wife and 3 kids back home and stayed in a B&B for the duration of my course, we both felt it was the best way. I popped home every month for a visit.

InkyPinkyPonky
23rd Sep 2009, 16:45
Trainee Salary £10,678.
£60pw Accomodation.
These are 2009 rates published on NATS website. They have all the info you need.
Small salary, but if you compare that to being a mature student, i think you should be pleased. As for moving your wife and kids, i think you'd struggle, finances aside, its a demanding role where you can fail at any stage without the right dedication youd be uprooting them again in no time.

This site has all the info you need: FAQs - Jobs and careers at NATS (http://atcocareers.co.uk/frequently-asked-questions.html)

lucycowan
23rd Sep 2009, 16:55
how long is the training before i would get posted

InkyPinkyPonky
23rd Sep 2009, 16:57
FAQs - Jobs and careers at NATS (http://atcocareers.co.uk/frequently-asked-questions.html)

Has all answers. You need to possibly think for yourself on this one.

paperclip810
23rd Sep 2009, 17:16
Hiya,

For a bit more info, the accommodation allowance is £60/week. Some people are eligible for Working Tax Credit but it really depends on your age and financial circumstances (partner's earnings, etc) - check the HMRC website for more details. Current salary is just over £10500 per annum, as Glamdring said above.

Training length really depends on if you're training on the aerodrome or area course and if you pass everything first time! Aerodrome only: About 5 months duration including annual leave. Aerodrome + Approach: About 8-9 months. Area: At least 9 months (but may be closer to 12). Add on more months if you have to wait between courses (eg. Aerodrome & Approach), or between the 3 different parts of the Area course.

Hope that helps a bit...

lucycowan
23rd Sep 2009, 19:17
thanks very much folks for the info didnt realize all the info on the website had a look now everything alot clearer now cheers:ok:

pewpewpew
3rd Oct 2009, 15:34
At college it works out about £950 - £1000 monthly all in with housing allowance and after tax.

After being posted (assuming you get through with no retakes) which is about 4/5 months for a London Airport (TWR only), 9 months for other airports (TWR + APR) or TC (APR only) or just under a year for area, pay goes up to £15k (band 1) to £18k (band 5) but you lose the housing allowance, so it works out about the same.

My pay actually went down after being posted as I pay into my pension now which makes a difference.

Fletchers Left Boot
3rd Oct 2009, 20:07
Just a note that those going TC Approach will also do the Aerodrome Course.

BigDaddyBoxMeal
3rd Oct 2009, 20:16
Just a note that those going TC Approach will also do the Aerodrome Course.

Please be advised. This weeks plan may have changed. And next weeks plan may have changed again :ok:

alfaman
4th Oct 2009, 19:52
Within the time frame discussed, TC Approach Trainees not doing ADI is unlikely. Licensing issues mean the ADI element is required knowledge for both. Factoring that into APS is less cost effective, not more.

pugwash4x4
4th Oct 2009, 19:54
ADI? APS? not up to speed with my anachronisms yet!

Roffa
4th Oct 2009, 19:59
ADI? APS? not up to speed with my anachronisms yet!

CAP 744. (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP744.PDF)

LEGAL TENDER
4th Oct 2009, 20:53
not up to speed with my anachronisms yet!

LOL.. is this deliberate or involuntary humour ?
Either way... brilliant !!

alfaman
4th Oct 2009, 21:02
For Roffa :ok:

Zebs
25th Nov 2011, 16:28
Hello
Just reviving an old thread as I'm wondering if anybody knows how the trainee salary and expenses payments might change next year (2012) and beyond please? I realise that this might be a case of guessing and may not be possible!!! And is tax currently payable on the expenses payments as well, or just the salary?

I have looked at the FAQ page (FAQs - Jobs and careers at NATS (http://atcocareers.co.uk/frequently-asked-questions.html)) already, but basically I'm wondering if it's likely to go up a little, down a little, or stay about the same, so I can work out how to make this work financially.

Thank you in advance! This is my first post, please be gentle.
Zebs

Avoiding_Action
26th Nov 2011, 12:07
The salary will only go up if minimum wage rises and they are forced to. The accommodation payment is tax free and I would be very surprised if NATS increased this payment.

Topjet
26th Nov 2011, 13:14
However, all ATCO grades are receiving a 5% payrise as of January, so add that onto the current advertised TATC pay scale. I believe the accomodation allowance is still the £60 a week tax free that barely covers any accomodation down here.....

Zebs
26th Nov 2011, 18:18
Thank you both. I was mainly concerned that it would not go down. If I can make it work on the current figures then all well and good, as long as rental prices don't go up massively of course.

That's all really helpful, thank you very much.