PDA

View Full Version : A/C hire USA

MK1978
21st Sep 2009, 03:15
Hi all, I am planning a trip to las vegas in a couple of weeks and would like to hire an aircraft. Can anybody tell me how long it would take to get an FAA cert to be able to do this and where I need to go to do this, I currently hold a JAA PPL.

Thanks

Mark

julian_storey
23rd Sep 2009, 20:54
You could get a '61.75' foreign based certificate based on your JAA licence, but I'd say it's highly unlikely that you'd be able to get everything arranged in the next two weeks :uhoh:

Contacttower
23rd Sep 2009, 22:24
If it was too late for a 61.75 might it be easier to simply go out there, take the written and flight tests for the FAA PPL and simply get issued with a full US PPL?

BackPacker
24th Sep 2009, 06:10
Simply hire an aircraft with an instructor. If you're going to Vegas, I assume you're also going to want to fly the Grand Canyon. That's best done with someone who knows the airspace.

No license conversion/validation required, no M-1, no TSA but you can still write the hours (as dual).

slatch
24th Sep 2009, 07:38
BP is giving you some good advice. Not only will be cheaper, no checkout required etc, the airspace around LAS is somewhat complex. a lot of military Restricted areas, federal parks with restrictions, MOA's with some serious operations, mountains to over 14,000 feet etc. Dont take the area lightly, Steve Fosset found out the hard way that it is not easy. A instructor with experiance in the area will make it a real learning experiance. Fly to Stove Pipe Wells -210 ft evevation then to Mammoth lakes airport 7100 ft elevation in under 90 miles, while crossing ridges up to 11,000 ft. Dont forget heat up to 110 F and winds creating downdrafts over 1000 fpm if your on the wrong side of the hill.

englishal
24th Sep 2009, 10:40
I agree with Slatch / Backpacker - if you have never flown in the USA then even a short BFR would probably not be enough to prepare you for a flight over the desert / around LAS (forgive me if I am wrong, I don't know your experience level - you may be a 10,000 pilot for all I know ;) ). However if you could get your FAA certificate in time, do what Backpacker suggests and take a FI, then you can get that time signed off as a BFR.

Those of us who have flown there know that it is simple really, but only if you know what you're doing. MOAs are not a big problem though restricted areas can be. Making decisions with regards to the mountains is also a learning experience.

Last time I was out that way there were thunderstorms in the desert and we were getting seriously kicked about by the turbulence even in clear air. One minute we were going down at 1250 fpm with full power, and the next we were going up at 800 fpm with no power. We ended up going into Laughlin where it was 110F, so you need to consider density altitude too....