PDA

View Full Version : 'Hiring' a single seat PFA type...

iburnthings
23rd Sep 2009, 10:51
Just wondering if anyone could shed any light on this....

I remember reading somewhere that there is a clause in the CAA ANO that allows the hire of a PFA/LAA type if it is single seat and under a certain weight? And this is how the Tiger Club rent out there Turbulents?

So is it possible to hire a similar machine from someone who owns one privately?

Cheers.

ifitaintboeing
23rd Sep 2009, 11:48
Correct. See ANO Article 157 (3)(c)

Public transport and aerial work - general rules

157 (3)(c)
for the purposes of Part 3 of this Order (other than articles 19(2) and 20(2)), if valuable consideration is given or promised for the primary purpose of conferring on a particular person the right to fly the aircraft on that flight (not being a singleseat aircraft of which the maximum weight authorised does not exceed 910 kg) otherwise than under a hire-purchase or conditional sale agreement.

ifitaint...

Bigglesthefrog
23rd Sep 2009, 12:56
Errr....... So that'll be a Yes then... Won't it??:confused:

G-ASSV
23rd Sep 2009, 17:59
If I recall correctly the Turbulents operated by the Tiger Club are to all intents Rollason factory built aeroplanes and as such qualified in the distant days of the ARB for special category CofAs as they had been built by an approved manufacture of light aeroplanes. This certification has continued but only applies to Turbulents built by Rollason Aircraft & Engines and as such only these Turbulents can be hired out. Of course things might have changed!

hatzflyer
24th Sep 2009, 07:38
Nippers used to operate on the same basis, but there is no equivelent C of A now so that is no longer possible.
It does appear though that there is a loophole as described that allows hire of any single seater.

iburnthings
26th Sep 2009, 09:26
Which brings me onto my next question... Does anybody have or know of a single seater theyd be willing to hire out to me?

Of course you can ensure I'm competent and capable to fly it and i'll pay for all costs!

Worth a try I suppose! :O