PDA

View Full Version : Pitot tubes

Mac the Knife
22nd Sep 2009, 18:53
The current brouhaha about AF447 and pitot tube icing got me thinking.

Instead of the tube facing forwards and deriving speed from the ram air pressure, why not turn it around 180 facing backwards and derive speed from the Venturi/Bernoulli effect pressure drop?

I think I'm going to take some plumbing and a mercury manometer for a ride in my car and see how the rise/fall in pressures correlates (young Tom can read the manometer, it'll make a good science project).

:ok:

Mac

lpokijuhyt
22nd Sep 2009, 19:08
Why, so you can icing on the other end?

Mac the Knife
23rd Sep 2009, 05:38
No, O most exalted lpokijuhyt - as might be evident even to you, my thought was that you'd get less icing that way.

(if you ever have a medical question I'll try to be as sarcastic and dismissive)

:ok:

Mac

Piltdown Man
26th Sep 2009, 14:21
You certainly can do it that, but I think that would be a higher drag option. But given the overall drag of a large transport aircraft, it might be worth the price.

PM

Piltdown Man
26th Sep 2009, 20:27
You don't actually have to have a "backwards" pitot. It probably wouldn't work anyway (and would still be susceptable to ice). But you could have an "open" venturi, ie. a built up section on the the side of the airframe. But the most difficult problem would be siting it in such a place as to get a reliable reading at all speeds and angles of attack.

PM

john_tullamarine
27th Sep 2009, 00:57
the most difficult problem would be siting it in such a place as to get a reliable reading

Generally, the pitot is reasonably tolerant of siting and doesn't cause much in the way of errors.

Now, the static source, that is quite a different animal and takes up a lot of certification time and effort.

Piltdown Man
27th Sep 2009, 12:42
I was actually referring to an "open" venturi (a lump on the side of the plane). As such it's a modified static vent so it would be subject to all the problems of a placing a source, plus a few more.

PM

Mac the Knife
27th Sep 2009, 19:35
Two questions (actually 3)

Why would it be higher drag? Just facing the other way.

Why do you say probably wouldn't work? The basic physics seems OK

Wouldn't it be less susceptible to icing facing backwards?

Thanks for answers

PS: Can you explain what you mean by an open Venturi?

BOAC
28th Sep 2009, 08:06
One of the major hurdles in any design is that if you are measuring any sort of pressure you have to have a little 'ole somewhere where wot it goes, and the trick would be to stop ice getting there.

I would have thought sticking with the current shape but with variable heat input would not be beyond the bounds of the designer - eg when the probe is sensing 'cold' or 'ice' is detected, a high current and vice versa.

Brian Abraham
30th Sep 2009, 07:07
Could always stick one of these on the roof. I know, I know.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/6/61/Wea00920.jpg/408px-Wea00920.jpg

Wonder though if some of the methods here could bear fruit.

Anemometer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anemometer)