View Full Version : A/G Operators - how to qualify & medical requirements.

CMM
22nd Sep 2009, 00:53
Hi folks, I am not sure if I am asking in the correct section and I completely understand that an A/G certificate does not make you an ATCO, but I hope I'm posting in the best place due to the broad question I wish to ask.

Essentially, I am a UK University student, hence I have a bit of spare time - I have always had an interest in aviation and rather than doing the usual hobbies I'd prefer to do something out of the ordinary which is both interesting and different (hence good for a future CV).

I am fortunate enough to attend a University which has an airfield which provides an A/G service closeby, and before approaching them directly I would like to get a little bit of advice so I don't make too much of a fool of myself.

I would like to get my A/G qualification but I am unsure how to go about it, what the training involves, or where the training often happens. Is it on-site training, or do you have to go to a college? What are the costs involved? I am also interested to know whether many A/G fields have the operators as volunteers or if it is a job as I understand some FISOs are full time. Just to clarify, I would be happy either as a volunteer or indeed as a part-time job - money is not the motivation at all.

What are the medical requirements? I am colour-deficiant hence I am worried that this will prevent me from doing yet another thing which I have ambitions for.

Thanks for all your help, and advice in advance.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
22nd Sep 2009, 09:33
Somebody more up-to-date is bound to reply.. but just in case not, I believe an A/G operator requires no qualifications and training would probably involve sitting with one of A/G ops until they are happy for you to work alone. The next stage up is AFISO, which does involve certification, although is is not an Air Traffic Control service. Try a search on here for "AFISO"..

I would advise you to speak with the people at your local airfield and seek advice from them.

Lastly, it must be said that a lot of A/G operators are licenced ATCOs doing the jobs in their spare time..

Vortex Issues
22nd Sep 2009, 09:52
Have a look at the CAA website (http://www.caa.co.uk), loads of info on there.

Also have a look at CAP452 (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP452.PDF) Aeronautical Radio Station Operator’s Guide.

In terms of a medical it looks like you don't have to have one but possibly a "declaration with medical standards similar to the level required for professional driving in the UK" will have to be made.

Hope this helps

2 sheds
22nd Sep 2009, 11:00
Somebody more up-to-date is bound to reply.. but just in case not, I believe an A/G operator requires no qualifications and training would probably involve sitting with one of A/G ops until they are happy for you to work alone

Aa-argh!
Not quite - you are required to obtain a certificate to operate VHF radio prior to even operating at a unit under training. Look for CAP452 and CAP413 on the CAA publications website - and also for the list of approved examiners. PM me if you need further help.

2 s

Squadgy
22nd Sep 2009, 11:22
Hi

I'm a (part time) Aerodrome FISO, having previously been an A/G operator.

Firstly, do not get confused by the statement about FISOs being a 'step up' from A/G operators. FISOs provide a different service to A/G operators - the level of service provided at each airfield is normally fixed and not determined by the qualification of the member of staff sat in the chair at any given time.

There is a licensing requirement for A/G operators - you need an A/G certificate of competence - this is only granted following exemination by an R/T examiner - see the links in earlier posts.

Therefore if the airfield you want to work at is A/G then you need an A/G certificate of competence. FISO training is more involved, so you would be expending effort studying for the FISO licence when you could be doing your degree/ partying (!) at uni. (That said a validated FISO (or ATCO) licence will allow grant of an A/G Certificate of Competence by exemption from the exam)

A medical declaration for A/G Operators is, as I understand it, not required. FISOs require either a medical declaration or a Class 2 medical.

After obtaining the A/G qualification it's a case of training 'on the job' with an existing A/G Operator, until the licensee decicdes your competent and signs your certificate - this is unlike FISOs and ATCOs, both of which require formal validation and revalidations.

Hope this helps :ok:

2 sheds
22nd Sep 2009, 18:09
Firstly, do not get confused by the statement about FISOs being a 'step up' from A/G operators. FISOs provide a different service to A/G operators - the level of service provided at each airfield is normally fixed and not determined by the qualification of the member of staff sat in the chair at any given time.

That is rather misleading on two counts. You will sometimes find that an FIS unit will provide AGCS at quiet periods, or late evening, or if a FISO is not available, so just because it is nominally a FIS unit does not mean that someone with an AGCS certificate would be excluded. The FIS is certainly a "step up" in the sense that it is a more comprehensive - and licensed - service compared with "only" AGCS, but obtaining an AGCS certificate could obviously be a first step to better things.

2 s

Squadgy
22nd Sep 2009, 20:17
That is rather misleading on two counts. You will sometimes find that an FIS unit will provide AGCS at quiet periods, or late evening, or if a FISO is not available, so just because it is nominally a FIS unit does not mean that someone with an AGCS certificate would be excluded

As I said - it's not normally determined by the level of qualification. Current SRG guidelines are, I understand, that units should endeavour to provide a fixed level of service where possible.

The point I was making however is that it's not some kind of hierarchical structure where a A/G operator is 'outranked' by a FISO each provides a distinct and separate type of service. The OP read as if the thought was that A/G operators may be volunteers and FISOs full time.

obtaining an AGCS certificate could obviously be a first step to better things

Agreed. But bear in mind that whilst being an A/G operator will probably look very good on a CV of anyone looking to do ATC as a career, there is no dispensation from the licensing path to become an ATCO as a result of previous A/G or FISO experience (there used to be for FISO's until the CAA pulled the plug on that (without informing the already qualified FISOs) a few years ago! :sad:)

CMM
22nd Sep 2009, 20:45
Thank you for your replies, everybody - they are all very helpful. I understand what people are saying with regard to the difference between AGSOs and FISOs - to be honest, I'd be grateful to do anything, so it's all good fun for me and I don't mind what I'm doing.

Alas, I will never be an ATCO despite how much experience I get, or how much hard work and determination I put in. Unfortunately I am colour deficiant hence I wouldn't be able to get the medical. I don't know whether colour vision is essential for all ATCOs and something which is regularly "utilised". Whether it is or it isn't, I can't see the CAA taking pity and changing the rules.

Dan Dare
22nd Sep 2009, 23:11
ATCOs will shortly be holding EASA Class 3 medicals. I can't remember what changes, but I shouldn't dicount the career if it is what you want to do until an AME tells you it is not possibe.

ATSIN 165 (http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=49&pagetype=90&pageid=9659) refers.