PDA

View Full Version : Accident investigator advise

Japessebas
21st Sep 2009, 19:20
Can any one give me advise on where to start to become an investigator in the US. My experience so far is as a pilot, approx 3000hrs.

thank you

BoeingMEL
1st Oct 2009, 13:40
...contact the FAA and/or NTSB in the US or attend an accident-investigation course at Cranfield, UK.

PS the word is advice, not advise!

Good luck anyway. bm

411A
1st Oct 2009, 14:54
The University Of Southern California in LosAngeles has (or had) an aircraft accident investigation course that was first rate.
I would call USC and ask about this, PDQ.

con-pilot
1st Oct 2009, 16:34
I attended the NTSB Aircraft Accident Investigating School I and II at the FAA Aeronautical Center in Oklahoma City. However, I was working for the US Government at the time and only attended to check a box for advancement.

There were non-government students in the class, but how they were able to attend I've no clue.

411A has posted a good idea, I would recommend taking his advice.

(Funny thing is that I was involved in the investigation of three aircraft accident before I attended the school and none since.)

grizzled
1st Oct 2009, 19:08
The two most recognised programmes of study currently in the US are both in Southern California: USC (as has been mentioned), and SCSI (Southern California Safety Institute). Both websites contain everything you need to know to get started.

Before enrolling, you may want to buy a book or two: "Aircraft Accident Investigation" by Wood and Sweginnis is a good start.
Read ICAO Annex 13, and if you can get a copy of ICAO's Manual of Aircraft Accident Investigation (ICAO Doc 6920) do so. (It's very expensive to purchase -- around $400 US, so try to find someone who will loan you a copy.)

Good Luck!

CP: PM me if you want work!

;)

Intruder
1st Oct 2009, 20:29
I attended the Navy's Aviation Safety Officer School at the Naval Postgraduate School, Monterrey, CA. That course also concentrates on mishap investigation.

I had investigated 5 major mishaps prior to going to the school, and only assisted in 1 afterward.

As with the FAA school, I don't know if non-military-related civilians can get in.