PDA

View Full Version : FAA equivalent of LASORS?

dg1234uk
20th Sep 2009, 18:15
I am looking for an FAA document which is similar to the CAA LASORS where I can find information on licensing for both PPL and CPL level such as requirements and allowances against training requirements for already having different levels of flying experience.

Many thanks!

24seven
20th Sep 2009, 18:26
try typing "FAA publications" into google (other good search engines are available) and you should be able to find all the info you need

SNS3Guppy
20th Sep 2009, 18:32
The FAA regulations are part of the Title 14 of Code of Federal Regulations. The specific regulations governing pilot certification will be found in Part 61.

You may view them here:

Electronic Code of Federal Regulations: (http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=aaca5a5935f675d8488118a9d1cca886&tpl=/ecfrbrowse/Title14/14cfr61_main_02.tpl)

Utfart
21st Sep 2009, 08:19
There's nothing in the U.S. quite as bad as LASORS :). You can get a publication from various sources called FAR/AIM (Federal Aviation Regulations/Aeronautical Information Manual). Like most things from the FAA, they can be had free of charge to us non tax paying foreigners online at : Handbooks & Manuals (http://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/)

The AIM part is particularly useful.

I have a paper copy from ASA that I like; many other brands are available. I also have a CD from King that I have never used. The FAR/AIM books are updated every year, so get a current one. Things do change.

PS - I am not American or British, my opinion is completely my own.

SNS3Guppy
21st Sep 2009, 18:35
The "FAR/AIM" is a commercial publication, not put out by the FAA...and it must be purchased. It includes *some* selected parts of the regulation, as well as the Aeronautical Information Manual.

If you wish to view the AIM online free or charge, you may visit: Aeronautical Information Manual (http://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/ATpubs/AIM/)

If you wish to view the regualtions online free of charge, you may visit: Electronic Code of Federal Regulations: (http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?&c=ecfr&tpl=/ecfrbrowse/Title14/14tab_02.tpl)

The specific subsections, or parts, of the regulation you'll want to visit are Part 1 for definitions, Part 43 for maintenance requirements, Part 61 for certification, and Part 91 for general operating rules.

chrisbl
21st Sep 2009, 18:45
And at $15 good value for money. I get a new one every year and transfer my reference tabs across.

The one on line may be cheap but not easy to read sitting on the bog.

SNS3Guppy
22nd Sep 2009, 08:41
It tells you everything you need to know

It tells you some of what you need to know. But it's a start.

Captain Stable
22nd Sep 2009, 10:10
It tells you everything you need to knowFinally!!! Can someone who has a copy to hand please tell me why we call Orange Jam "Marmalade"? :}

And how come footballers wear shorts in winter and cricketers wear long trousers in summer? :confused:

FREDAcheck
24th Sep 2009, 10:47
And at $15 good value for money. You wos robbed. $11.43 from amazon.com (plus postage). About a £tenner from amazon.co.uk.

A good intro at the beginning that tells you which bits you need to read if you're a PPL, CPL etc.

Julian
24th Sep 2009, 13:46
Basically Part 61 tells you how to get your certification
Part 91 tells you how you can lose it!

COuldnt have put it any better way SoCal :)

Spitoon
24th Sep 2009, 17:40
There's nothing in the U.S. quite as bad as LASORS.Which is strange really, because LASORS was supposed be the UK equivalent of the FAR/AIM.

IO540
24th Sep 2009, 18:54
LASORS seems to be a collection of rules which cover areas which have been delegated to the CAA to make up as they wish. The real rules are in the ANO, or the Civil Aviation Act.

The FAR/AIM is different. It is a simplification of the FARs (but a legally valid one, AFAIK).

The FAA also used to have an FAQ on their website, written mostly by the author of the FAR/AIM, John Lynch, but they took it down c. 2004. I still have a copy. It was quite good for various things.

421dog
24th Sep 2009, 18:59
Marmalade:
1480, from M.Fr. marmelade, from Port. marmelada "quince jelly, marmalade," from marmelo "quince," by dissimilation from L. melimelum "sweet apple," originally "fruit of an apple tree grafted onto quince," from Gk. melimelon, from meli "honey" + melon "apple." Extended 17c. to "preserve made from citrus fruit."

(not, unfortunately, from 14CFR)

windsock
2nd Oct 2009, 01:15
Basically Part 61 tells you how to get your certification
Part 91 tells you how you can lose it!

LOL!!!!!!!

SNS3Guppy
2nd Oct 2009, 13:54
The FAR/AIM is different. It is a simplification of the FARs (but a legally valid one, AFAIK).

The "FAR/AIM isn't a simplification at all, in any way, shape, or form. It's a reprint of the regulation, period. It's simply a reprint of *some* of the regualtion that's most commonly encountered.

The AIM is an entirely separate publication, also simply reprinted and packaged in the same physical binding.

The "FAR/AIM" is nothing more than a reprint of the regulation and the aeronautical information manual...both of which can also be had at no cost online, if one wishes.

Pugilistic Animus
7th Oct 2009, 05:21
I love reading FAR's and the AIM--- no kidding --I love the overly proper, overly exacting language--like poems too me

No person shall,,,blah blah blah....

or unless otherwise approved by the Administrator; no certificate holder may allow......:8

Person: means ---
Night: means----
Rocket: means---

it is how I get to sleep many nights---I know terrible:O

PA

mm_flynn
7th Oct 2009, 09:27
I think the ANO is more fun due to its elegant yet tortured logic. Best one is -

'A pilot is permitted to .... except in ...... conditions', which actually means 'A pilot is forbidden to...'