PDA

View Full Version : Jumpseating in Europe- from Europe

larryhasafriend
19th Sep 2009, 01:34
Hello,
I am an airline pilot working in USA. Because my family leaves in Europe (Italy) I often commute to/from Europe on american carriers. Most of the time the destination is dictated by the space available (of course). I was wondering if someone could tell me how to jumpseat on European carriers (I have heard that European pilots do not have the same agrements as the american one) to US and Europe to Europe. Also, how do European pilots commute to work? Do you use ID90 tickets? How do obtain them? Can american pilots get them?
Thanks

Flightwatch
19th Sep 2009, 07:32
Yes – of course you can get ID90 tickets for travel on European airlines, assuming you work for a US carrier that has the suitable interlining agreements with the relevant airline concerned.

I used to work for BA and we had agreements (which are always reciprocal) with all the US majors, however not with the LoCos. Also some majors included travel on their Express operations and some did not, from memory travel on American Eagle were OK (maybe because it is OneWorld) but with Delta, Comair flights were excluded. ID 90s have mostly been replaced with ZED (Zonal Employee Discount) fares which have 3 categories, ZEL, ZEM and ZEH standing for low, medium and high. Most interline agreements are at ZEM, they are all charged at a fixed rate depending on the distance flown on the sector.

Unfortunately there has never been a system like that in the US for jump-seating as such, the only jump seat you are likely to be offered is a spare flight attendant one if there are no cabin seats available, the days of travelling in the cockpit are gone since 9/11. But you will still need your ZED ticket to travel though.

So the only people who can tell you which European airlines you can travel with are your interline or Staff Travel department who should issue you with them. Once you have it in your hand you need to check (with the same department) if you need to list with the carrier – again they should have the numbers or website address to do so and you are on your way. If you have an agreement with more than one ZED carrier then the same ticket is valid on all those airlines e.g. LHR-ROM you could travel on BA or AZ even if the ticket is issued to BA – it should say on it “valid all ZED carriers”.

Good luck – if you are with a major then you should have no problem at all, if not then let Expedia or the like be your friend!

P.S. Before purchasing your tickets check for all offers on the route you want - it is not unknown for discounted fares to be cheaper than ID travel and of course you get a guaranteed seat.

larryhasafriend
20th Sep 2009, 15:31
Thank you very much Flight.
I am also trying to convert my FAA license to the JAA and hopefully come to work in Europe. What would you say about the airline industry in Europe? Is it still worth it? Here in US seems that the pilot's image has been depriciated [not unusual hearing people referring to pilots as drivers (ignorance...arrogance?)].

Flightwatch
21st Sep 2009, 15:10
I’m afraid that I am not the person to ask as I have been in the business for 43 years and have achieved “old fart” status. Certainly there has been a huge diminishing of standing in that time.

However, having a vacation house in the US , by observation I would say that it is worse there than in Europe.

Perhaps someone from the younger generation could advise you better. Anyone?

HeathrowAirport
22nd Sep 2009, 22:14
I heard a little rumour (not going to say the airline) that a few pilots being flown to another airport, carried by there airline that will be doing a different sector later on are not allowed to jumpseat, they have to go into a spare seat in the cabin.:eek: Prefered "Emergency Exit row" (Yeah I bet, more legroom);)

Its gone to such lengths, but hey! I rather that than a repeat of 9/11.

I tried my luck, FRA-LHR "Febuary 09" to Jumpseat, the pilots wanted too (Pilots do miss the visits to there office then?:oh:) however he said he loved his job too much, but hey I was up there until the door was locked and shut for the whole flight.