PDA

View Full Version : Recording Intercom

T10
15th Sep 2009, 21:21
I wish to record aircraft intercom using my MP3 recorder. Does anyone have any idea wher I can get a suitable interface cable with the necessary impedance matching suitable connections to the aircraft ( std twin civvy type) and a stereo 3.5mm jack to connect to the external mic i/p or can help with a home made design.
Any help most welcome.
Ta
T10

1800ed
15th Sep 2009, 21:50
There was a thread a few weeks ago with some useful tips:

http://www.pprune.org/private-flying/385320-how-record-intercom-sound-flying-videos.html

milesharrison
15th Sep 2009, 21:59
Hello, I am sure there is a better way but you COULD try using a splitter on each of the headset output plugs. You would probably need a splitter that replicates 1/4" jack sockets. You could then use a 1/4"->3.5mm adaptor. Then take the two 3.5mm leads and use a coupler lead to combine the two mono channels into one stereo 3.5mm lead. Then you can plug this into your MP3 player and use the recording facility. The bonus of using this method is that (assuming your MP3 can record stereo) is that each channel will be recorded individually, therefore you can split the recording into two sides easily afterwards.

The specifics of this method might be different (i dont know enough about std aviation comms) but it should work nicely. As I said, there maybe better ways, but this method should work and provide a higher quality recording than using other microphones (as these will probably not be as good quality as that on your aviation headsets). Hope this makes some sense. All this should be available on ebay for low $$$

Maoraigh1
16th Sep 2009, 19:40
I got a cable and adaptor in our local (smallish) Curry's. Adaptor fits headset socket, cable fits standard mike input. Quite cheap.

T10
16th Sep 2009, 19:44
Thanks for all the responses, I will try the simple cable solution.
One thing that concerns me is that the intercom output will over load the recorders mic input.
Thanks again
T10

Fright Level
16th Sep 2009, 19:53
One thing that concerns me is that the intercom output will over load the recorders mic input

It will, the posts here are assuming a line level input. Don't plug a headphone level signal into a mic input unless you want to destroy the receiving device!

I'm currently designing/building a headphone level to mic input level circuit from Maplin parts to use my camcorder in flight and will post a reply when I get one sorted out.

T10
16th Sep 2009, 20:07
Thanks Fright
Please let me know how you get on, I'll have a look into it as well.
Regards
T10

Duchess_Driver
16th Sep 2009, 20:22
The solution proposed by D120A in the above link worked perfectly. Simple, cost effective....sorted.

magpienja
16th Sep 2009, 21:40
I have one of those small digital Olympus recorders and it has a small lapel mic that I just fits inside one of my ear cups on my headset works a treat.

Nick.