PDA

View Full Version : Ramadan fasting time ?

Big Footer
14th Sep 2009, 12:38
How should i judge the fasting & breakfasting timings:confused: ?

Desert Diner
14th Sep 2009, 12:41
Best not to when you can see your shadow

Nightfire
14th Sep 2009, 13:24
Unless it is only one very huge shadow.

411A
14th Sep 2009, 15:16
Recall flying some years ago in Saudi when the First Officer requested we fly lower to enable the sun to 'set' sooner:rolleyes: so I did just that...you would be surprised how much a TriStar consumes at FL160 flying at the barber pole....and never a peep from the fleet manager,either.

Keep the locals happy....smile all the way to the bank.

Big Footer
14th Sep 2009, 18:08
So i should be lookin for the sun not the land am over .

Big Footer
14th Sep 2009, 18:11
So i should be lookin for the sun not the land am over , cos i've been hearing guys askin for those times from ATC.

fractional
14th Sep 2009, 18:21
Big Footer,
Look in here if you are here in Dubai:
Ramadan Time Table 2009 (http://www.khaleejtimes.com/ramdantimetable.asp)
If you are elsewhere on duty, ask the hotel staff. Local papers also have it.
Easy mate, the net is wonderful. No excuse for not fasting or adhering to the fasting timings.

411A, "flying at the barber pole....and never a peep from the fleet manager,either"
"That wouldn't be possible today, unless...:}

mkdar
14th Sep 2009, 19:51
The way I was told it should be done, is to calculate the sunrise/sunset from the jeppesen tables and codes section, and subtract 20 minutes for altitude, this I was told, is a rough as near as damn it way of doing it.
The guise calling ATC for timings are doing it for gross error check.
On ground however, local papers have these timings, hotel receptionist have them, a quick search on the net provides them.
Having said that, Muslims are allowed and encouraged to break fast when travelling a distance more than 80 KM, by land, sea or air.
Hope this answers your question.
Safe flying

FlyingCroc
14th Sep 2009, 19:59
By foot or by plane. Never heard of that one. :}

metro301
14th Sep 2009, 23:01
Like 411 said, I work for Saudia now, just as they did back in the L1011 days, it is when the top of the sun goes below the horizon. Dropping altitude will make that happen earlier. In the last 5 minutes of the fast you tend to hear a lot of requests for lower altitudes.

The guys use the sunset time tables/charts only if they can't see the sun. The whole fast is based on the sun, so why use a chart when you can actually see the sun??

piggybank
15th Sep 2009, 00:29
Interesting reading all the above. I do remember something I read years back that long distance travellers are to use the timing from their point of departure to break their fast. It was an item in Garuda magazine about 1980.

Depending on which way you are flying round the globe the sun could take an awful long time in setting!

The old, ill, lactating women, women in their period, young children do not fast, but I bet there are some that do.

As someone that has lived more than half my life in mainly Muslim countries and had a small food business here in Indonesia, its interesting to find out the detail of who and who cannot fast and certainly to the items that can and can't be eaten. Some of this even goes down to what herbs can be used in the food. Again some people are more strict than others in their view of this.

We have two kitchens in our patch of land here. One in the house for standard anything goes food, and the other (now defunct) with its own eating utensils, fridge, and strictly controlled food items for Muslim intake.

doubleu-anker
15th Sep 2009, 01:35
It's not the fasting that worries me, although that's bad enough. It is the people who are not drinking, that really scare me during Ramadan.

If you are not drinking water during the "hours of daylight" you are in no fit state, physically or mentally to be anywhere near machinery of any description.

When does Ramadan finish BTW, so I know to avoid certain airlines?

Ndicho Moja
15th Sep 2009, 04:09
Hari Raya should commence at the sighting of the next new moon, about 19th Sept.

EGGW
15th Sep 2009, 04:31
OK guys, handbags away please. The posts on this subject pop up EVERY year. Its getting boring trimming the trash posts. Keep it nice or it gets locked.

EGGW

Asianlonghaul
15th Sep 2009, 08:02
Have a look here, I am not Muslim but this tells you prayer times, and Sunrise sunset can be worked out from this. Usefull in Saudi when the shops shut for prayers.
The Muslims Internet Directory: header_general (http://www.2muslims.com/cgi-bin/prayertimes/example/CityTimes.pl?CT=66&CN=1&CY=58&Continent=Asia&Country=Your) country here

what_goes_up
15th Sep 2009, 13:23
If you are an owner of a Palm OS device, here is a program that uses FMS-style inputs and corrects for your flightlevel.Sunfly for Palm OS (http://handheld.softpedia.com/progDownload/SunFly-Download-5053.html)
Anyone in the know if such a program exists for Windows Mobile?

Metro man
15th Sep 2009, 13:55
Recent case of a QATAR Airways pilot who announced time to break the fast based on time in Doha, the destination. Muslim cleric on board took exception to this as according to him it's based on time of sunset at your present position.

He issued a religious order regarding this and told some passengers who had started eating that they would have to fast an extra day to make up for it.

BTW Have noticed some of our muslim cabin crew looking "distressed" by mid afternoon.

PorkKnuckle
16th Sep 2009, 15:11
...etc etc etc.

In other words, make up the rules to suit yourself. Everyone has their own version of what is "correct" and that seems to be the only constant. And not just with that particular aspect.

EGGW
16th Sep 2009, 16:25
Here is a question. What if you live in permanent daylight in Ramadan. For those Muslims living in Iceland or Northern Norway for example. I mean what to do???

Serious answers please.

EGGW

PorkKnuckle
16th Sep 2009, 17:12
Go home?

Go visit your relatives on NZ's South Island for the month? Does EK fly to Reykjavik yet?

Matt101
16th Sep 2009, 17:43
Fairly long winded but here you are (assume you know the prayers at which fasting begins and ends? I can never remember if it begins at Fajr or Shuruq prayer but def ends at Maghrib.) Anyway this is copied from one of the Muslim Council websites though different council's may have different opinions.

The regions at high latitudes are divided into three zones:

A. The first zone: It is the region that lies between the latitudes of 45 degrees and 48 degrees north and south. It is characterized by the existence of the apparent signs of the time during twenty-four hours, no matter whether the times are long or short.
B.The second zone: It lies between the latitudes of 48 degrees and 66 degrees north and south, where some of the astronomical signs of time are nonexistent for a number of days during the year, as, for example, the case when the twilight does not disappear to indicate the beginning of `Isha’, and thus the end of the Maghrib time trails till it overlaps Fajr.
C. The third zone: It lies at the latitude of 66 degrees north and south and extends to the two poles. In this zone the apparent signs indicating the time are nonexistent for a long period of the year both by day and at night.

The ruling for the first zone is that its people observe the Prayers at their Shar`i times, and observe fasting for its Shar`i time, from true dawn till sunset, in compliance with the Shar`i texts indicating the times for Prayers and fasting; and if someone is unable to fast or complete his fast on a certain day because of its excessive length, he or she may break his or her fast on that day and compensate for it on some other suitable day.

The ruling for the second zone is that the times for `Isha’ and Fajr Prayers are to be determined with the proportional measurement on the analogy of the corresponding times in the night of the closest region where the signs of the times of `Isha’ and Fajr can be distinguished. The Council of the Academy suggests the latitude of 45 degrees as the closest region where worshiping or recognition is comfortably possible. If `Isha’ begins after the third part of the night at 45 degrees latitude, `Isha’ will start similarly in respect to the night at the place where the time is to be determined [i.e., after the third part of the night], and the same is true regarding Fajr.

The ruling for the third zone is that all the times are calculated with the proportional measurement in analogy of the corresponding times at 45 degrees latitude, by dividing the 24 hours in the third zone in the same way the times are divided at 45 degrees latitude.

If the length of the night at 45 degrees latitude is 8 hours and the sun sets at 8 o’clock, and `Isha’ is at 11 o’clock, the same times will be observed in the country where the time is to be determined. If the time of Fajr at 45 degrees latitude is 2 a.m., Fajr in the country where the time is to be determined will be at 2 a.m. and fasting will begin at that time and continue up to the estimated time of Maghrib.

Original Source Ask the Scholar (http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?cid=1119503549482&pagename=IslamOnline-English-Ask_Scholar%2FFatwaE%2FFatwaEAskTheScholar)

QTRminator
16th Sep 2009, 18:57
If this issue would have been included in the Holy Koran, I would have been very impressed by that book...

Matt101
16th Sep 2009, 20:05
Sorry I should have also quoted the source more thoroughly, fatwa was issued by the "European Council for Fatwa and Research"

PHAROH
17th Sep 2009, 15:47
A380-800 driver (http://www.pprune.org/members/205004-a380-800-driver) ,

For you it is called The Holy Koran "Quran".

Not Gulfair CEO
17th Sep 2009, 17:51
Are you trying to be funny or you are just an idiot. We dont agree on many issues but you dont see a single muslim slagging your practices.
And to answer your silly question. if the individual feels abled to fast during travelling then he should fast but if he thinks he is unable then he should be fasting on any later day after Ramadan.So the Muslim Astrnot will be fasting missing days once he gets back to mother Earth after Ramadan.

wiggy
17th Sep 2009, 23:00
"Have there been any muslim astronauts"..:

Well this gentleman might be a candidate:

Al-Saud (http://www.astronautix.com/astros/alsaud.htm)

beyblade
17th Sep 2009, 23:22
Dear Moderator,

Please kindly lock this topic, since you know this topic appears every year and couple of immature people start posting their comments which is very insulting and humilating. I am a Muslim and its upsetting to see people making comments that whether a Muslim should fast or not. Talking about Muslims in insulting manner is not acceptable and that has nothing to do wth the topic also, I think its no one's right to comment on it. I hope you do understand and please kindly lock this topic.

Regards

EGGW
18th Sep 2009, 00:41
I asked a serious question, unfortunately the muppets decided to behave like imbeciles.

Closed

EGGW

weido_salt
18th Sep 2009, 02:07
Gulfair CEO

".................but you dont see a single muslim slagging your practices."

No of course we don't but we do see the results when several get together and show the world their displeasure.

vaschandi
18th Sep 2009, 03:53
I have a high respect to those who are fasting during the holy month of Ramadan.
Go ahead and do whatever you want!
But don´t do that during your flight duty!!!

airpilot_A3xx
18th Sep 2009, 06:01
And yet after 1430 years of fasting, neither a single aviation nor any incident involves fasting!! as Allah said in the Holly Quran:

إِنَّا نَحۡنُ نَزَّلۡنَا ٱلذِّكۡرَ وَإِنَّا لَهُ ۥ لَحَـٰفِظُونَ (٩)</SPAN>””Lo! We, even We, reveal the Reminder, and lo! We verily are its Guardian. (Al Hajr (9)….

Also,

يَـٰٓأَيُّهَا ٱلَّذِينَ ءَامَنُواْ كُتِبَ عَلَيۡڪُمُ ٱلصِّيَامُ كَمَا كُتِبَ عَلَى ٱلَّذِينَ مِن قَبۡلِڪُمۡ لَعَلَّكُمۡ تَتَّقُونَ (١٨٣)أَيَّامً۬ا مَّعۡدُودَٲتٍ۬*ۚ فَمَن كَانَ مِنكُم مَّرِيضًا أَوۡ عَلَىٰ سَفَرٍ۬ فَعِدَّةٌ۬ مِّنۡ أَيَّامٍ أُخَرَ*ۚ وَعَلَى ٱلَّذِينَ يُطِيقُونَهُ ۥ فِدۡيَةٌ۬ طَعَامُ مِسۡكِينٍ۬*ۖ فَمَن تَطَوَّعَ خَيۡرً۬ا فَهُوَ خَيۡرٌ۬ لَّهُ ۥ*ۚ وَأَن تَصُومُواْ خَيۡرٌ۬ لَّڪُمۡ*ۖ إِن كُنتُمۡ تَعۡلَمُونَ (١٨٤)شَہۡرُ رَمَضَانَ ٱلَّذِىٓ أُنزِلَ فِيهِ ٱلۡقُرۡءَانُ هُدً۬ى لِّلنَّاسِ وَبَيِّنَـٰتٍ۬ مِّنَ ٱلۡهُدَىٰ وَٱلۡفُرۡقَانِ*ۚ فَمَن شَہِدَ مِنكُمُ ٱلشَّہۡرَ فَلۡيَصُمۡهُ*ۖ وَمَن ڪَانَ مَرِيضًا أَوۡ عَلَىٰ سَفَرٍ۬ فَعِدَّةٌ۬ مِّنۡ أَيَّامٍ أُخَرَ*ۗ يُرِيدُ ٱللَّهُ بِڪُمُ ٱلۡيُسۡرَ وَلَا يُرِيدُ بِڪُمُ ٱلۡعُسۡرَ وَلِتُڪۡمِلُواْ ٱلۡعِدَّةَ وَلِتُڪَبِّرُواْ ٱللَّهَ عَلَىٰ مَا هَدَٮٰكُمۡ وَلَعَلَّڪُمۡ تَشۡكُرُونَ (١٨٥)

O ye who believe! Fasting is prescribed for you, even as it was prescribed for those before you, that ye may ward off (evil); (183) (Fast) a certain number of days; and (for) him who is sick among you, or on a journey, (the same) number of other days; and for those who can afford it there is a ransom: the feeding of a man in need - but whoso doeth good of his own accord, it is better for him: and that ye fast is better for you if ye did but know - (184) The month of Ramadan in which was revealed the Qur'an, a guidance for mankind, and clear proofs of the guidance, and the Criterion (of right and wrong). And whosoever of you is present, let him fast the month, and whosoever of you is sick or on a journey, (let him fast the same) number of other days. Allah desireth for you ease; He desireth not hardship for you; and (He desireth) that ye should complete the period, and that ye should magnify Allah for having guided you, and that peradventure ye may be thankful. (185). (Al Baqara.)

I fly long haul high altitude and 30+ years fasting
''Eid Mubarak'' to all

azlee_19
18th Sep 2009, 06:20
A380 , pls read this:

Sheikh Muszaphar Shukor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheikh_Muszaphar_Shukor)

And read this:
Spaceflight and religion

Since Sheikh Muszaphar is a Muslim, and as his time in space coincided with the last part of Ramadan, the Islamic National Fatwa Council drew up the first comprehensive guidebook for Muslims in space.[1][3] The 18-page guidebook is titled "Guidelines for Performing Islamic Rites (Ibadah) at the International Space Station", and details issues such as how to pray in a low-gravity environment, how to locate Mecca from the ISS, how to determine prayer times, and issues surrounding fasting. The orbit of the ISS results in one day/night cycle every 90 minutes,[1][25] so the issues of fasting during Ramadan are also addressed. The guidebook will be translated into Russian, Arabic, and English.[7][26] Anan C. Mohd, from Malaysia's Department of Islamic Development said that fasting while traveling is optional, so Sheikh Muszaphar could choose what he would like to do, but if he did decide to fast in space, the times would be centered around local time in Baikonur, where the launch takes place.[27][28] Sheikh Muszaphar celebrated Eid ul-Fitr aboard the station, and packed some satay and cookies to hand out to the rest of the crew on October 13, 2007 to mark the end of Ramadan.[29]

Please learn to respect other people's religion.