PDA

View Full Version : Ansett gone .......but forgotten?

RU/16
13th Sep 2009, 09:54
8 years ago the airline ceased operations in its major form.
Has the industry become any better for the loss of this world class organisation?
While we are in some shed waiting for Tiger, squashed in a Virgin tin can or sneered at up the pointy end of a QF filght do you lament the way things used to be?

Captain Dart
13th Sep 2009, 10:05
No, in fact Ansett finished twenty years ago.

wrongwayaround
13th Sep 2009, 10:48
:ok:

funny this thread should appear... I was watching some of their TV commercials on youtube yesterday.

i miss it to death....

as a passenger...... and as work (over 20 years ago :ok: )

Eastwest Loco
13th Sep 2009, 11:37
Ansett will never be forgotten, nor will TAA and East West,

AN did indeed technichally die when the aeroplanes Reg owned where sold off and the 737s and 767s were leased by the the Fat prick and Abeles.

The monies gained from that were stripped from the Company. The rest is history.

TN was is the same leaky boat after years of the Government stripping profits out of the operation and eventually was aquired by QF on Government order to keep it afloat.

East West on the other hand was aquired by stealth by the evil empire as we were a huge and growing threat. Ansett with its lame management had no idea how to run a lean machine and eventually shut us.

But back to the original question, the answer is NO. Ansett will be remembered not for the fat bastard that killed them but will most definitely be remembered for the terrific people that gave it a heart and soul.

Two generations down the track there may be a lack of knowledge in the general public, but the memory will live on down family lines.

Best all

EWL

longjohn
13th Sep 2009, 12:33
Amen EWL.

AN and EWA were great airlines, RIP

David Brent
13th Sep 2009, 13:00
There's a group on facebook with a title...i don't care what you did at ansett.

Which could also read i don't care how great ansett was and stop banging on about the past...

or if it was that good it'd still be around...

Zapatas Blood
13th Sep 2009, 20:06
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh, Yep, ansett finnished 20 years ago huh.

Is that because you left then?

The job was better post 89 than before. Much more professional flight ops.

Not so much old school nonsense 'ol boy.

RHLMcG
13th Sep 2009, 22:12
The job was better post 89 than before. Much more professional flight ops. Not so much old school nonsense 'ol boy.

Whatever are you referring to ? I can't recall any "old school nonsense".

If the tone post-89 was superior to the earlier model, then you enjoyed a very much higher standard than other comments had suggested previously.

I think that most of us were just glad that some of the close shaves did not result in accidents.

airsupport
13th Sep 2009, 23:36
One BIG difference between then and now, a return fare from BNE to MEL (or CNS) was something like $800 or more, now usually can get them for $100-150.

Willoz269
13th Sep 2009, 23:39
The job was better post 89 than before. Much more professional flight ops. Not so much old school nonsense 'ol boy.

Much more professional??? My my, what a lot of bollocks....cast your mind to when they were shut down by CASA for their excessive professionalism in maintenance!! Pre 89 Ansett was an airline...POst 89, Ansett was a political show pony, a complete basketcase run on favours for mates and the inherent beliefs that the Ansett Leisure Group plus AWAS and TNT would always be there to bail them out.....how "professionally" wrong they were!!!

RU/16
13th Sep 2009, 23:47
bit of thread drift ........
was more interested in the point of view of the service side of the industry.
Leave your petty remarks ......move on!

tinpis
14th Sep 2009, 00:02
Found some pre 89 uniform pants this weekend.
The silverfish thought they were nummy :bored:

Buster Hyman
14th Sep 2009, 00:54
RU/16 Better get used to it mate...any opportunity! :rolleyes:

Bottom line, Ansett was the beneficiary of some dodgy Government intervention & in the end, with a multitude of other factors involved, it was brought down by the same dodgy Government intervention.

As for service standards, well, as Airsupport says, $800 got you a little more polish on the flight, in the airport facilities, and other areas but most people just see the bottom line. As with life, society seems to bend to the lowest common denominator. People used to put on a tie & hat to go out, now, well, just take a look around.

Some companies can move with the times, others cannot, or will not. There was no one in upper management at Ansett capable of reading the times, so it fell by the wayside. Like Qantas has now, Ansett looked like it was starting to head down the path of lowering its services in order to cut costs. Alas, too little, too late...

Lookleft
14th Sep 2009, 01:13
Who says Ansett has gone? Been to the Sim Centre in Tullamarine lately? Ansett stuff everywhere right down to the Link Trainer. It is actually a good place for "if only" scenarios as an example of what could have been possible if it was run as a business and not as a plaything.

MTOW
14th Sep 2009, 01:17
The job was better post 89 than before. Much more professional flight ops. Not so much old school nonsense 'ol boyTo have made that comment with any authority, the writer would have had to have experienced both systems. That, to some, would constitute a truly heroic feat.

Knowing some of the main players in AN Flt Ops pre and post 1989, (admittedly, I knew them professionally only pre-89), I am having a hard time coming to terms with the comment above. Comparing any one of the post 89 AN Flt Ops leardership with Henry Theunnissen is laughable.

Richard Kranium
14th Sep 2009, 02:24
Compareing pre to post flight ops and nameing people is simply "hero worshiping" which was very common of that pre group and dangerous which inevitably leads to disasters.

As for why Ansett isn't here now...all you have to look at the people who had their hands on the levers at the time when Ansett went down, the government of the time that did nothing after approving the sale and gross medling of trickie-dickie at Qantas.:sad:

Possum 15
14th Sep 2009, 03:05
Ansett? Yeah, I had forgotten. Funny you should ask.

Wiley
14th Sep 2009, 05:00
Richard Kranium, when it comes to Henry T., particularly when you compare him with 99.9% of the management I see gracing the halls of airlines today, hero worship wouldn't be too far from the mark.

For me at least.

Zapatas Blood
14th Sep 2009, 05:21
plllllease

AN pre 89 was a tiny flying club that existed in a bubble protected from competition.

Henry was a nice guy but a drovers dog could have managed flite ops back in a regulated system.

rhlmcg, which close shaves you talking about? care to elaborate. I remember some pretty hairy moments pre 89 too when only legends were allowed to fly.

ozangel
14th Sep 2009, 06:19
enough of this 89 stuff here - take it elsewhere.
In response, I remember Ansett with greater fondness than most of my dead family members - and no doubt there would be others like me.
Bring back the $800 fare I say - most people here have staff travel or ID fares anyway (at least it might be of value if the fares were $800!!). Most of the people who are members of that 'I dont care what you did at ansett' group are too young to appreciate what it was, or are disrespecting the experience of anyone who has endured some sort of change in the industry affecting their working conditions or pay.

I wonder if anyone will ever use the Ansett name again. Sure, Pan Am didnt work, nor did Compass - but do you think there could be a market one day to brand an airline Ansett, and succeed?

And no - we are not better off - airlines still struggle to make money or succeed with a loss - yet we are (as said) sitting in a tin shed, being abused by some overworked underpaid flight attendants, flown by disinterested pilots, all with families they never see and working under 20yo HR 'executive' types that just love to get in the way of a good night out on the piss in DRW. Engineers are pretty much in the same boat, and the ground staff have all retired or gone to work in banks having been replaced with the 'revolving door' contractor operation that 'performances' everyone out when they turn 21 or join a union.

Sure, back then, it was expensive to fly, and bloody hard to get a job - but we were paid appropriately, respected, and the job was much much easier (whether youre a pilot, fa, ginger or groundie). There was more 'oops, that was dangerous, better fix it' and far far less of this 'crap we just killed/injured someone' better employ more lawyers and give the HR person who sacked the crew a pay rise'.

My opinion anyway.

airsupport
14th Sep 2009, 06:54
Henry Theunnissen

Yes, I had the pleasure of working with him on a couple of jobs in the 1990s, as well as at Ansett before that, without doubt one of the nicest people, and best Pilots, I have ever met. :ok:

Eastwest Loco
14th Sep 2009, 09:17
NB-W - Indeed a fitting tribute, but the gentleman mentioned was not the nicest man to have as a boss.

He was a ruthless man, and would go through you rather than around you, but that is what building an Empire takes.

We should indeed remember Ansett, Sir Reg and the other Airlines mentioned were jobs for life. Then - not now.

My Dad did his 25 plus years with TN as a LAME engines) and after doing night school for years qualified as an accountant and moved to Fawlty Towers, originally in Swanston St opposite the Museum (God I loved wandering the halls there while waiting for him to finish work when I had to come to Town) and then Franklin St.

When I started with TAA Res in Melbourne and subsequently transferred to TN WNY Traffic, I expected them to cart me out in uniform, cold and lifeless.

Those days are gone.

My generation just barely missed the New Guinea postings, and I lament that.

Today's generation will make their own memories and I certainly hope they have their good times without too much bastardisation by increasingly greedy management.

Us older farts still remember the scream of Darts, the growl of Allisons and the brute force crackle of an unhuskitted set of JT8Ds. The rumble of the DC4 and DC6B.

They are our memories and we treasure them. Noone can take them away.

As long as you look up when you hear an aero engine, be it turbine, turboprop or piston, you are infected. You are one with us, and there is no known cure. Nobody wants one.

That way Ansett, TAA, Eastwest, Connair and Bushies will never ever die.

No matter where you are in the world, there is a part of a foreign field that is forever Essendon.

Clear on 4

Best all

EWL

nitpicker330
14th Sep 2009, 10:20
Zaptasblood, amoungst other crap you said Henry was a nice guy but a drovers dog could have managed flite ops back in a regulated system.

really how so?

So you think AN and TN got together with the regulator and it was all cheese and bikkies!! You don't think there were any expansion troubles, no new Aircraft to introduce, no grumbling Pilot's to appease, no Managers above you wanting you to more with less, no stress at all.
Henry and his predecessors introduced Australia to the Jet age my friend. What have todays mob done? oh yeah introduced the modern age of A320, 767, 737 146 F50 Oh hang on, Henry did all that for them in the 1980's................

The Flight Ops Managers of today have no idea of how to run a real Airline, it was all done by their predecessors.

And don't tell me Virgin Blue/Tiger/Vaus Flight Ops managers have since done it better than Henry. They all worked directly under him at Ansett Flight Ops pre-89 :ok:

Henry was a true gentleman, I haven't seen him for nearly 20 years but I guarantee you he would still know my name if I bumped into him on the street.

He checked on and flew the 767, 737 and the F27 all at the same time, an exceptional Pilot/manager that was very hands on.

sru
14th Sep 2009, 10:22
EWL,

Nice captures it all:ok:. For me the screaming Darts, the smell of kero and the people.:) Things this generation seem to miss with frustrating regularity.

EWA, Ansett,............ it WAS a family !:cool:

Cheers all and happy memories,

SRU

Fris B. Fairing
14th Sep 2009, 10:57
ANSETT will never be forgotten at the Queensland Air Museum at Caloundra. Here is the former VH-FNQ still undergoing reassembly in July. Ultimately she will be displayed as VH-FNQ in the "Delta" livery.

http://www.adastron.com/aviation/vault/VH-WAN-0076.jpg

Gnadenburg
14th Sep 2009, 11:03
Great Business Class. The MEL-PER buffet was spectacular.

Great training. Been at two airlines since and Ansett's training was excellent.

14th Sep 2009, 11:25
EWL - I hear you!!!

Dunnza
14th Sep 2009, 11:49
Ansett Great Company...

I worked for them straight out of highschool and had some great work colleagues and some terrific pilots!

Now three ex employees are now currently flying with me... Still has the Ansett flair

kellykelpie
14th Sep 2009, 11:56
I really miss working for Ansett. It was a great company to work for - everyone was more than just a number. A real family company and one that I was very proud to work for. There will never be another Ansett...:(

Eastwest Loco
14th Sep 2009, 13:32
If anyone has a copy of the Ansett induction video I got my face on while working First/Business/Golden Wing checkin at AN ADL, please give me a yell.

I left for the Agency side shortly after.

It is out there somewhere, but I fear lost to the years as it was back in 1991.

Great pic Fris - pity nobody is restoring an Eeenie Weenie or TN girl.

Beat FNQ out many many times at DPO and WNY.

Best all

EWL

airsupport
14th Sep 2009, 20:34
He checked on and flew the 767, 737 and the F27 all at the same time, an exceptional Pilot/manager that was very hands on.

Also the MD 80 (after Ansett)........ :ok:

TwoFiftyBelowTen
14th Sep 2009, 22:30
While we've got you all so fondly reminiscing, it might be an opportune time for me to try to get something for all my Golden Wing points?
I'll settle for a Hamilton-Essendon sector!

ampclamp
15th Sep 2009, 00:20
Ansett was my first airline job and remain thankful for the opportunity.
I had a great time working there and received excellent training.
To a large degree I was treated as an individual and with some respect.

Ansett went guts up for many reasons but that is history and for another thread.

Yep I miss them because it was a true alternative and at the time a better employer.
The industry has become too concentrated with little choice for pax and employees. Despite higher fares it was a good thing to have EW, TN ,AN,QF, airlines nsw, eastern,compass etc out there until they failed or were gobbles up and $h@t out the other end.

Its nice to remember but we cannot live in the past.

I have some great mates ex AN and made plenty more at QF.Its not the colour of your shirt or what hat you wear.Its what you are inside
Make the most of your life.Its too bl00dy short not to.

SRM
15th Sep 2009, 02:30
What I miss are the Drw trips on the 727, London and New York were great overnights but nothing better than having a cold beer by the pool at the Travelodge in Drw.
Them were the days.

Obie
15th Sep 2009, 08:20
The Travelodge at Darwin...we should not go there!!
Ah!... The stories we could tell from those overnights with 727 and F27 crews from both Ansett and TAA getting together seven nights a week!
The debauchery, pranks, dinners, fun and games, washed down with lots of lemonade and coke!
Strewth, this could start a thread that may never stop!

Eastwest Loco
15th Sep 2009, 09:15
I know the Travelodge was a crew pub, but was that before the Don Hotel?

Did a 36 hour layover with a lady friend of my fathers who was a TN F/A.

This all pre Cyclone Tracey.

Went up on TN556 - "Big George" Tango Bravo Golf MEL ADL ASP DRW ande came back on the girl who always seemed to bring me home Tango Juliet Alpha DRW ISA BNE SYD MEL - I think that was TN570 but memory has faded with time and wear and tear.

Still have the pics of a very lean (then) pre Loco Bloko sipping Ginz and Tonicz around the pool in a pair of Melbourne High School budgie smugglers with the ladies of the cabin crew, but that was the 70's. I was out of my depth and league but didn't mind drowning one little bit.

That was a big fun layover.

Eye opener for an 18 year old and a wonderful bunch of ladies.

Best all

EWL

Obie
15th Sep 2009, 09:40
Well, you better show us the pics, Mate...'cause I was there in the pre Tracy days and the post Tracy days too!...and I'm wondering already if you were the guy that...no, hang on, wont go there! :ok::ok:

teresa green
15th Sep 2009, 11:31
Being a TN bloke, it was a sport, no change that, a right of passage, to beat the bastards off the block, in the Great Australian Air Race, especially SYD/PER and we always enjoyed a little sledging on the trip, now I miss em like hell, but appreciate what we had, meeting them for a beer and more sledging "you blokes go via ADL ,where the fcuk have yer been"? was the standard remark if we got off the blocks first, (I have actually seen AN taxing out with the staircase sticking out like a giant indicator and still retracting just to beat us) couldn't do it now, great days, would not swap it for quids.

Eastwest Loco
15th Sep 2009, 12:17
If I email the pics, can you upload to Prune Obie?

regards

EWL

Eastwest Loco
15th Sep 2009, 12:31
Okay

Have the first set scanned

I just need to email them to someone who knows how to post them here in and acceptavle font.

Top one is me second is 3 of the girls around the pool and 3rd is TJA on the stand at DRW.

I should have given you all the email initially. Home is (and I have to paraphrase this as the room doesn't seem to like emails) jetsetrk @ bigpond.net.au and work is ron @ jetsetdpo.com - sorry had to put the spaces in to get this to display.

best all

EWL

wrongwayaround
15th Sep 2009, 22:00
YouTube - Business Class - Ansett Australia 1994 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3Yo58-6sc8&feature=related)

YouTube - 2001 Ansett Australia Commercial (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7F75vKABaTA)

YouTube - Ansett Airliners commercial [1982] (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIfN_Nm44ss)

YouTube - Ansett "Flight" Commercial - 1970 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bceOzmOXVG0)

YouTube - Australian Ad Ansett Economy Class - 1983 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGgiZ99wTbk)

YouTube - Australian Ad Ansett Executive Class - 1989 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxZ1DqnfXuU)

I'd say.. not forgotten :ok:

Higs
16th Sep 2009, 00:30
Thanks for posting the links to the old Ansett adds. The 1970 one in particular was one that I never forgot . As a kid It inspired me. :ok:

airsupport
16th Sep 2009, 00:58
What memories, especially the 1970 one. :ok:

Normasars
16th Sep 2009, 01:04
Never had the opportunity to work for them.

I still think to this day that it would have been the best job in the world.

How things have changed; and not for the better.

wrongwayaround
16th Sep 2009, 02:02
its just that music that is so distinctive of the ansett adds...

you always knew it was coming when you hear that enya tune....

da..dadada....

YouTube - Enya - Storms In Africa (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt_xBX0K14A&feature=related)

geekygirl
16th Sep 2009, 02:39
Whenever I think of those Enya tunes I think of that stupid Reachout program we had to suffer through (apart from the free feed which was alright I guess lol)

Ansett was my first job straight out of high school in 93 (how inconsiderate of them not to last long enough to be entitled to 10 years long service leave though!)

They were a good company to work for when you were an engineering apprentice and I have many fond memories of both my apprenticeship and my time in heavy maintenance after then. Like anywhere there were always going to be the collection of a:mad:oles...thankfully apart from hangar floor politics I never did get to see any of that higher level crap that went on....

I am always going to remember Ansett as the place that got me started, not all of us ex-Ansett types are bitter and twisted about the place!

Buster Hyman
16th Sep 2009, 02:53
I am trying to erase from my mind, any memory of the Golden Wing ads with the blokes in the toy cars...:ugh::ugh::ugh:

One of the most memorable Aussie Airline ads for me was the TN 727 ads with the camera in the tail...ordinary now, but brilliant stuff back then! :ok:

Obie
16th Sep 2009, 06:43
I'm computer illiterate like you Ron. One of the sharpies will volunteer to upload them hopefully.

ps: Were you the bloke who pushed the managers wife into the pool and nearly got us all banned? :ok:

wrongwayaround
16th Sep 2009, 06:48
hey obie
if you have a facebook or flickr account, you should upload the photo's to there, because pprune will only allow you to post links to photos (which will be displayed in the thread)
if you have neither of these... you could find someone you know/trust with a facebook or flickr.

i have a flickr if you would like me to post them on there first. PM me if you wanna go down that track

WWA :ok:

henry crun
16th Sep 2009, 08:57
What could be simpler than following the suggestion in the sticky thread on posting images, and join Photobucket ?

Tidbinbilla
16th Sep 2009, 09:08
What could be simpler than following the suggestion in the sticky thread on posting images, and join Photobucket ?

Absolutely!

How hard can it be???? :ugh: