PDA

View Full Version : UK PPL: How long did it take you to complete?

rogerthat777
11th Sep 2009, 12:32
I did a search on this subject but not much came up.

I'm looking to start very soon, just wanted to gauage how long it would take to complete the PPL if I was available to study it full time and to fly as much as possible every week, all done in the UK. (Southern UK)

Bearing in mind winter is coming, when would be a realistic completion if I was average joe in all areas.

A friend of mine is starting a university course which allows them the summer to complete the PPL flying, would this be realistic, from May - Sept?

Cheers

tacpot
11th Sep 2009, 13:35
I did mine in five weeks in the summer of 1981; but the UK PPL only required 38 hours training then. 45 Hours would take six weeks at that rate. Definitely a great way to spend the summer!

1800ed
11th Sep 2009, 15:13
I've got my first flight logged on 12/4/2008 and I took my skills test on 20/5/2009. Though I did have a five and a bit month break between my qualifying cross country and my skills test.

It doesn't take a long time, so long as you keep on top of your training :)

airborne_artist
11th Sep 2009, 15:31
The wonderful British weather could help, or hinder. Late July and August of 1977 was terrible. Day after day we spent in Luton Flying Club watching the cloudbase hang just above head height. Equally, June of 1979 was fantastic, and I logged 44 hours flying on 19 days, and never flew at weekends.

The Heff
11th Sep 2009, 20:42
I reckon it would take between three and four weeks to complete your PPL if you're going to do it full-time. That ought to allow for bad-weather, passing (and studying for) the ground-school, and achieving the flying skills required to successfully pass the test and apply for your licence.

Although if you're going to commit full-time, you might want to complete the ground-school subjects before embarking upon the flying side of it. Once you've got all the theory covered, the pressure can ease a little bit because you've only got the flying to concentrate on.

Mickey Kaye
11th Sep 2009, 21:06
You don't state how old you are but this summer i've met a couple of people who have done all the flying aspect (they already passed all the written parts) in 15 days.

Rob1975
11th Sep 2009, 21:37
From the sound of it you're in a rush to get your PPL (?)

The UK is the best place to learn, if you are going to fly in the UK, but our island's 'weather' leaves a lot to be desired sometimes, and will slow you down A LOT if you want to get the hours in, especially after Sept. ie now :) - I recommend a package in Spain/Cyprus/US if you have the time to do it full time!

Rob

polohippo
12th Sep 2009, 06:12
I agree with Rob1975. I instruct in Southern Europe and most people complete the PPL in 4 weeks maximum, it does help though if you've started studying for the exams already and are well prepared.

I instructed in the UK September 07 to January 08 and was only averaging 20 hours a month being available 7 days a week for training.

I think from what you've said about wanting to do it quickly, you'll just be banging your head against the wall in the UK because of the weather at this time of year.

Good luck with whatever you decide and most importantly, ENJOY IT!