PDA

View Full Version : Back Pain & Support Cushions

TiPwEiGhT
10th Sep 2009, 13:33
Afternoon all,

Anybody who flies the S-92 will no doubt agree with me that the seats are crap. Have recently started getting some lower back pain, I have been noticing that when i am leaning forward (brushing my teeth or picking something up) and stand back up again it is uncomfortable and have to move slowly.

Can anybody recommend back support cushions that are small and easy to carry around with me in a small backpack?

Many thanks guys and gals. Sorry if this has been posted before.

TiP

gingernut
12th Sep 2009, 21:14
Anything that'll support the lumbar lordosis, (the "small of the back") is likely to help.

Try a rolled up towel :)

Lancelot37
12th Sep 2009, 22:16
I'll go with that - Try a rolled up towel http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/smile.gif

When I fly as pax I roll up the blanket and use it in the small of the back. I've had back trouble for 30 years.

I have found that it eases as you get older. By the time that I'm 90 it might have gone completely.

I was offered an op 25 years ago but the risk of ending up in a wheel chair was 50/50. I opted oput.

Must admit that having owned 26 cars over the years I chose a Citroen Picasso 2ltr petrol Auto this time and beats every other one that I've had. Easy to step into and no problems after a 380 mile trip. With other vehicles I've walked like the Hunchback of Nostre Dame after a couple of hundred miles. Forget the BMWs, Mercs, Audi's etc. After all they are only tin boxes to take you from A to B. A bit like the $5 sun specs that I wear. They do a job.

TiPwEiGhT
13th Sep 2009, 03:07
Many thanks for the replies folks.

I know that back pain is something that I should expect to occur over the years from sitting in helicopters with sh!te seats. My previous 10 years have been pretty pain free, but only in the past month or two have I started having real issues. What I am most worried about is that I am still in my 20's and want to delay the effects as long as I can!

I'll try the towel trick on Monday and see how it works, thanks again!

TiP

gingernut
13th Sep 2009, 08:36
No probs:) It is a bit worrying that you've got problems at such an early age, so it may be worth advising you on a few other things:

Watch your posture and lifting technique generally. Pain usually isn't the result of one significant incident, it's usually as a result of years and years of abuse.

Try and keep slim and tone up the tummy muscles.

Finally, I'm told, people who swim don't get back pain !

The usual warning applies, any worrying symptoms-see the quack:ok:

flower
21st Sep 2009, 09:40
The "Mackenzie D roll " will do the trick

ashiyanayoga
29th Sep 2009, 09:38
Yoga in general has a lot of advantages. A minimum of 20 minutes everyday yoga routine can improve circulation, reduce stress and make one feel young and vibrant.