PDA

View Full Version : Possible backup plan?

WhiteFly
10th Sep 2009, 11:51
Hey all,

Im not sure if this is the right section so the mods can move it where they deem appropriate!

Im 27 and I have a JAA ATPL and im working in a airline for 3 years already.
I was thinking that if something happens and I wont be able to fly anymore I will have no degree or something worth while!

So i was thinking maybe to get a masters degree in something because i was told that the ATPL is equalevant of a Bachelors degree.
If so what would u recommend me studying?
Probably something long distance because of work....

Thanks for your help

Doors to Automatic
10th Sep 2009, 12:35
MSc in Air Transport Management is a good one if you want something directly relevant to the industry. Try Cranfield, Westminster and Loughborough universities. I did the Cranfield degree in the early 90s - one of the best decisions of my life.

Akrapovic
17th Sep 2009, 14:00
i was told that the ATPL is equalevant of a Bachelors degree.

Utter rubbish and an insult to those who've done a Bachelors Degree . . . .

I've done both and the two are by no means comparable.

40&80
19th Sep 2009, 08:35
If you are worried about immediate financial responsibilities to wife(s) or kids I think you need a lot of cheap term life insurance at your age say 20years gross salery.
The chances are anyway the medical condition that causes you to loose your licence will be quickly terminal... which solves your retirement funds problem and ensures the cash register rings for your dependents.
In my day....pilots took correspondence accountancy courses to have a fall back sitdown job if the lost their licence due a survivable medical condition...and had the energy and desire left to work.

Intruder
19th Sep 2009, 17:28
Find a university that will take your "life experience" and turn it into credit toward a Bachelor's Degree. Then finish a bachelor's Degree in your free time via correspondence and/or night school. Once you get that, decide where you want to go for a Master's Degree.

You might want to consider something other than airline management, since the same conditions that cost you your flying job may cause an oversupply of airline [mis]managers.