PDA

View Full Version : Advice to a friend

mona lot
9th Sep 2009, 22:11
If a close friend asked you as an airline pilot for advice about the airline industry, and getting a job, what would your advice be?

Intruder
9th Sep 2009, 23:17
Find another skill for money. Pursue aviation if you're lucky enough.

Miles Gustaph
10th Sep 2009, 04:43
Either:
A: join the millitary and get them to pay for your flight training etc, or
B: spend a load of money getting into the industry where the majority of jobs don't pay salaries proportionate to the qualifications.
C:Spend the money you would have spennt getting a CPL on becoming a Lawyer/accountant/plumber/or doctor and use your spare cash to indulge in private flying.

L337
10th Sep 2009, 09:01
Become a Pilot. Follow your dreams.

The view is wonderful, the places amazing, and the thrill of blasting off down the runway is still with me 35 years after learning to fly.

Do not do it for the money. Do not do it for the uniform. Do it because you love aviation, aeroplanes, and flying.

Crazyworld
11th Sep 2009, 16:18
modern jet is not safe to fly perhaps. And I think technology maybe more favorable than uniform. Uniform? who like uniform.

redsnail
11th Sep 2009, 18:32
Not knowing where the OP is based it's hard to give specific advice.

However, this should hopefully apply.
Spell out every step required. Point them in the direction of the authority's website so they know what you're saying isn't rubbish.

Spell out the reality.
Sure, there's always the small number that nail it and sail to a well paying job with the minimum of fuss. Tell your friend what the usual steps are, FI, charter (if relevant), turboprop, jet. Point them in the direction of websites with the pay scales are.

Advise them that timing is every thing, it's not just about having the right license, but if the "face doesn't fit" etc, then you've made a difficult task, nearly impossible. While technical skills and ability is very important, personal skills are vital. Contacts are your friend. :)

Point out the different methods of training. Pluses and minuses. At the moment, modular/part time is favourable because of the control you have regarding start/stop as finances dictate. Do NOT get into debt. It will ruin your flexibility to take a job. Remember, it is the same license whether done part time or full time.

With respects to costs, don't forget to factor in every thing and then add 15% minimum. :ooh:

What I am trying to say is don't write off the dream because of the tough times now, the view is fantastic. Just don't bankrupt yourself in the process.

Trust me on that. :E

fireflybob
11th Sep 2009, 19:59
It's all been said really but if he/she was a close friend he/she would already be aware of my views of the airline industry!

If you're passionate about flying go for it but certainly not for the money or even the uniform!