15th Aug 2014, 15:29
Air Anglia - DC3s & F27 / F28s
Dan Air - HS(Avro) 748, Comet4B &C ,B727

Those were the days my friends !!

:ok:

victor tango
15th Aug 2014, 16:28
purple helmet
yes I flew with them during that period ...did you?

Capetonian
15th Aug 2014, 18:10
http://www.dynamicartsgallery.com/AfricanAirlines/SAA%20Durban%20B707-344C%20ZS-SAG.jpg

Discorde
15th Aug 2014, 18:16
Worked at LHR Air Canada Commissary during the student vacs of '66, '67' & '68. Next door were the Eagle hangars. Occasionally during Britannia engine starts a plume of flame would streak out of an exhaust, stretching beyond the tail (presumbly unburnt fuel igniting too late). Spectacular!

This pic was taken in the summer of '68, just before Eagle's demise.

http://steemrok.com/eaglebritsteemsm

irishair2001
15th Aug 2014, 21:51
Jetgreen
Eirjet.
Aer Turas
Progressive Airways
Euro Direct.
B K S Airtransport
Itavia.
Spacegrand Aviation
Avair
Red Coat Air Cargo
Air Commerz
Germanair
Trans Polar
Manx Airlines

Capetonian
15th Aug 2014, 21:56
Generally known as the Vomit Comet, the Air Cape HS748 operated the coastal route CPT - OUH - GRJ - PLZ if I remember correctly. It was always fun to buy a ticket to the first stop and stay on to the end of the ride! Only got caught once and did the 'oh **** have I missed George ....?' act.

CISTRS
16th Aug 2014, 14:05
Dan Air
Laker
BEA ex Northolt
BEA helicopter service ex London Waterloo (South Bank)
BOAC Terminal Building in London Victoria, Buckingham Palace Road - remember the half double deck bus to the airport, with luggage trailer?

Capetonian
16th Aug 2014, 14:36
BOAC Terminal Building in London Victoria, Buckingham Palace Road - remember the half double deck bus to the airport, with luggage trailer?Brooklands Museum (http://www.brooklandsmuseum.com/index.php?/explore/aviation-related-vehicles/)

There are various aviation related vehicles, as well as aircraft, cars, and bikes, at Brooklands Museum, well worth a visit. There's also a bus museum.

If it sounds as if i'm giving the museum a shameless plug, I am. I think and hope it's allowed on Pprune as it's non-profit making and a registered charity, and deserves more support and publicity.

Memebership of the trust pays for itself after the second visit, as it gives free entry for a year. Brooklands Trust Members - Brooklands Museum (http://www.brooklandsmuseum.com/index.php?/support-us/brooklands-trust-members/)

Volunteers are needed for many areas. Volunteer - Brooklands Museum (http://www.brooklandsmuseum.com/index.php?/support-us/volunteer/)

http://www.showbus.co.uk/p11/BOAC%20Leyland%20Atlantean%20LYF307D%202.JPG
https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4078/4858525182_3420fe4c1d_z.jpg
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5477/10872027726_f5a987a09b_z.jpg

Discorde
16th Aug 2014, 16:13
Cape - if you repost your HS748 pic I'll resize & repost it for you (with your own logo if required).

D

Capetonian
16th Aug 2014, 17:41
Thanks ....... I normally save them onto my computer, resize them, and store in Dropbox and post the Dropbox link to give the image, but for some reason Dropbox isn't talking to me today :

Here's the link :

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/photos/9/2/0/0644029.jpg

Discorde
16th Aug 2014, 18:21
http://steemrok.com/cape748

Una Due Tfc
16th Aug 2014, 18:29
Pan Am and TWA

I remember when clipper 707s & 747s were regular visitors to SNN when I was a kid, got me into aviation really. And the Aeroflot cabin crew...... ;)

An old codger in SNN ATC told me a story at the beginning of my career about a TWA 707 Captain who used to announce his arrival on freq by playing his harmonica. One day BA/BOAC were doing touch and goes on their brand new 747 for crew training. They made a balls of one of their approaches and bounced apparently. Mr harmonica had been holding short and made a negative "wah wah wah" noise with the harmonica. Apparently the BOAC captain lambasted Mr TWA over the airwaves.

magpienja
16th Aug 2014, 18:38
Air Turas.

ian16th
16th Aug 2014, 18:40
G-AGJV (http://www.pprune.org/members/191780-g-agjv)

The only 'common' airport that those two companies used that I knew of was Leeds/Bradford, from where I used them frequently.

Could fly to Glasgow, Edinborough, Bristol, Cardiff and Bournemouth very easily.

Danair had a 748 based at Leeds/Bradford that flew, Leeds - Glasgow - Leeds - Cardiff - Bristol - Bournemouth - Jersey - Bournemouth - Cardiff - Leeds - Glasgow - Leeds. Monday to Friday.

I could get the 1st leg to Glasgow, do a days work, and get the last leg home for an only slightly late dinner.

Happy Daze.

seafire6b
16th Aug 2014, 21:12
Pan Am - Always First Class ID100's! And I remember meeting their JFK tenpin bowling team at a BBQ, all wearing T-shirts emblazoned with the Pan Am 'globe' logo, complete with the slogan "Marry me, and fly free!"

Silverjet - Only flew with them one LTN-EWR return trip, in late 2007. Excellent all round, no criticisms whatsoever; comfortable seating, nice people and great food & drinks service. As I enthused to Mrs Seafire over the Atlantic, "they'll never keep this standard of service up". They went bust the following May, I felt sorry for the employees.

Discorde
17th Aug 2014, 11:57
EI-AOR LHR early 1960s

http://steemrok.com/turasdc4steemsm

magpienja
17th Aug 2014, 13:24
Often seen Air Turas in Liverpool when I was a kid in the 60s...bringing horses in from Eire on Grand National day,

Happy days....

Una Due Tfc
17th Aug 2014, 13:27
They finished up with 2 DC8s if I recall correctly, were effectively Aer Lingus cargo. EI shut them down just after 9/11

Discorde
17th Aug 2014, 14:24
Another 1962 shot from LHR north side, looks like a -320B (would have definitely known in my reggie-spotter days). Notice the robust integrity of the boundary fence.

http://steemrok.com/panam707steemsm

Shannon volmet
17th Aug 2014, 15:36
TRANSMERIDIAN AIR CARGO

The best job I've ever had, working with the finest people I've ever known.

barry lloyd
17th Aug 2014, 21:07
I will join others with Aer Turas, BCal, BEA, (never subscribed to the 'Britain's Excuse for an Airline' satire :)), BOAC, Braniff, British Eagle, Cambrian (a former employer), LACSA (Costa Rica), Manx Airlines, PanAm and Varig, who seemed to grease just about every landing and with whom I had the pleasure of working for several years.

CFIIMEIATPSES
28th Dec 2015, 06:00
Est. 1974 in Owensboro, Ky.

barit1
28th Dec 2015, 14:53
seafire6b"they'll never keep this standard of service up". They went bust the following May, I felt sorry for the employees.

July 1990, Father & I made our last trips on TWA. The steaks, while hardly oversize, were perfect. We were salivating from the aroma long before they were delivered. Just what you'd like to expect from a KC-based airline. Mgmt was going all-out to regain market share, but it couldn't last. :sad:

Double Hydco
31st Dec 2015, 09:24
http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag21/belfast97/x68aa_zps7ucwb43n.jpeg

This one most certainly. Mostly a 270 knot pub crawl.....

DH

southender
31st Dec 2015, 17:03
How about

From Northolt; BEA's, white topped Pionair class Dakotas and Admiral Class Vikings plus the Aer Lingus Bristol Freighters

From Stansted; Air Charter's Avro Supertraders and Skyways light blue and maroon Hermes and Yorks

From Southend; any airline that operated through SEN in the 1950's and 60's - Air Charter/Channel Air Bridge/British Air Ferries, Channel Airways, Tradair, Overseas Aviation, Continental, BKS, Fred Olsen, Transair Sweden, Delta Air Transport Martins Air Charter, LTU, the list is almost infinite.

Those were the days

seacue
31st Dec 2015, 21:38
Washington Airport. I was proud to be able to differentiate between Pennsylvania Central Airlines' DC-2s and the more-numerous DC-3s. At age 7 [1937 plus], it doesn't take much info upon which to base one's pride. There weren't as good car parks for viewing at Washington National.

Wageslave
1st Jan 2016, 14:54
I had a job flying the Belfast that lasted just five hours!

I got a call at 1430 on a friday that went, are you still available? Would you like an interview? What's wrong with now? The interview also consisted of three questions. How many cans of Boddingtons fit into a standard flight bag? May I see your logbook? and can you start Monday?

I went home, bought a bottle of champagne and a bunch of flowers for the missus and took her out for a meal I could barely afford after 20mths on the dole.

On our return there was a light flashing on the answering machine. "Sorry, we made a mistake, we can't take you". I think Trafalgar House had told them, No, one new FO, not two.

Damn shame, that.

SWBKCB
3rd Jan 2016, 17:26
Aviogenex - never got a proper look at their hosties cos they were to busy dashing off shopping, but wowzers...

Wardair - just seemed to be a well organised bunch of nice people who liked to get things done properly. Laker seemed to be the opposite - or was that the point?

dc9-32
4th Jan 2016, 05:18
Wycombe

Quote:
When they started out, they had crews who spoke English
.....with a heavy Romanian accent, if I remember correctly.

No, when RYR started they were all Irish crew. I think you are referring to when they took ROMBAC 1-11's, which was much later.

Mr Oleo Strut
4th Jan 2016, 19:34
BOAC - for their effortless and quite unjustified delusions of superiority
BEA - for sublime champagne cocktails
Alitalia - for introducing the world to Ferrero Rochas chocolates
British Eagle - for the triumph of cheerfulness over efficiency
Pan Am - for introducing stereo piped sound on board, and their club sandwiches
Syrian Arab - for providing the finest of desert dates
Air India - for the most heavenly hostesses
Aeroflot - for the best bomber/passenger conversions and biggest hostesses
Channel Express - for operating the Heavenly Dart Herald, long after most everybody else had given it up
Aer Lingus - for making green an acceptable airline colour
South West Air - for the wonderful smoke and flames of the start-up of their DC3
Court Line - for the banshee howl of Halcyon Days
And finally,
Air France - for the Caravelle tail parachute and the sheer ugliness of the Bregeut Deux-Ponts

Stationair8
5th Jan 2016, 01:44
Ansett Airlines

SASless
5th Jan 2016, 02:00
Piedmont Airlines....full Can of Coca Cola and Packets of Peanuts slingshotted to you.

http://tomeblen.bloginky.com/files/2012/08/BGA-DC3.jpeg

capt.cynical
5th Jan 2016, 04:05
QANTAS, pre the reverse takeover by the TAA muppets aka the mon.-fri. 9-5 mob.

JanetFlight
5th Jan 2016, 04:27
The 80's Welsh nostalgic Airways Cymru...such lovely and nice memories seeing those mighty 1-11 here at Faro :ok:

FlightlessParrot
5th Jan 2016, 04:54
QANTAS, pre the reverse takeover by the TAA muppets aka the mon.-fri. 9-5 mob.

Is that what happened? Sometimes I say I'm so old I remember when QANTAS was a good airline.

Phileas Fogg
5th Jan 2016, 07:37
The 80's Welsh nostalgic Airways Cymru

And the boss of Airways International Cymru was such a beloved figure, both before and after his imprisonment for tax evasion :)

http://cardifffanzine.********.com/2013/01/bonus-badmouth-tony-clemo-cardiff-city.html

Tony Clemo was Chairman and owner of Cardiff City during a difficult period of the club's history. He later commented that the pressure of being at the helm at City during this time was like 'being in prison'. He later retracted this statement after being in prison.

Tony Clemo was not a popular man in Cardiff. To increase his personal popularity, and at great personal risk, Clemo invited supporters to an Open day at Ninian Park. Fans got to wander about on the pitch, meet players and score goals at the Grange End. Clemo walked amongst the crowd greeting and talking to supporters. In all, the Open Day went better than anticipated - Clemo wasn't murdered.

All the same, there was tremendous sadness when Tony 'the people's chairman' Clemo bade his final farewell to Cardiff City in mid 1992. Tony, ever conscious of costs, insisted there should be little or no formal ceremony to mark his departure. His wishes were respected as hired thugs unceremoniously threw his chair, desk and brief case out of his office window into Sloper Road.

briani
2nd Feb 2016, 23:27
BEA, KLM, Aden Airways, SAS, Air Anglia, Air UK, BOAC, Air Djibouti, Gulf Air (in the 60s and 70s. Many happy memories!.

canberra97
15th Feb 2016, 00:18
briani

But KLM & SAS are still with us!

Exnomad
16th Feb 2016, 17:49
Imperial Airways, surely.

Curious Pax
16th Feb 2016, 22:14
Aviogenex - never got a proper look at their hosties cos they were to busy dashing off shopping, but wowzers...

From my summer on the ramp at MAN it was Adria not Aviogenex (or JAT) that had the lookers. I am of course assuming that you prefer willowy blondes to hefty brunettes!

ExSp33db1rd
16th Feb 2016, 22:24
Imperial Airways, surely.

Even BOAC, at least they didn't rip my Staff Travel from my, as B.A. have done.

BOAC Takes Good Care Of You, used to be the slogan, and they did, I had a personal accident problem once that they helped with, and they got me flying again as soon as possible - as they had continued to pay me during that period it was of course in their interest to do so - B.A. don't give a stuff for their "older" staff, who helped create the airline that they now have the privilege of working for.
Barstewards.

semmern
16th Feb 2016, 22:45
BEA, KLM, Aden Airways, SAS, Air Anglia, Air UK, BOAC, Air Djibouti, Gulf Air (in the 60s and 70s. Many happy memories!.

Surely SAS will be surprised when I tell them they don't exist any more. Makes me wonder whose planes I fly! ;)

crewmeal
17th Feb 2016, 06:07
Even BOAC, at least they didn't rip my Staff Travel from my, as B.A. have done.

And they used to send Pursers and CSD's to farms to dry out and bring them back flying.

ExXB
17th Feb 2016, 08:06
CP Air, pre the takeover by the PWA muppets who thought international was as simple as YVR-SEA!

lotus1
17th Feb 2016, 08:38
Oasis when they first started with md88 had a great flight to Palma with them and back only problem was due to fog at gatwick night before plane diverted to stands stead had to take a coach trip before m25 built but the flight made up for this compliment brandy going out and back also visit to flight deck they where the days

Kenny Chesney
19th Feb 2016, 11:18
Ansett Australia, great Airline that I grew up with and got my first job in Aviation.

Mr Oleo Strut
27th Feb 2016, 16:13
I went on board a BOAC 707 to clear it at LHR - I was Customs in the days when permission had to be given to disembark. There was an obvious bad atmosphere up the front end and the cabin staff were not happy. The cockpit door opened and the immaculately attired, be-medalled and be-whiskered Captain appeared. With a cursory nod to me but not a word to anybody he departed for his personal transport. Immediately the atmosphere lightened and joviality returned. It turned out the Captain, renowned for his arrogance, had been encouraged by management to come out of the cockpit and pass some time with at least the first-class pax. His response had been to produce s tin-whistle, play several notes, and return to the cockpit. The cabin-crew were not impressed. I made a point of looking out for him and would have paid particular attention to his crew-declaration, but I never saw him again. Apart from that I found BOAC exemplary in all respects.

DC10RealMan
8th Mar 2016, 16:03
Air UK Wonderful airline especially to staff travelers.

I would travel from SW London all the way up to Stansted via Tottenham Hale to catch the Stansted SkyTrain for an 0700 departure for a day out in France, Germany, Holland, Belgium etc rather than face LHR.

RexBanner
8th Mar 2016, 16:48
Ryanair

Oh sorry I seem to have got this the wrong way round.

flash8
7th Apr 2016, 12:11
Ryanair seriously... in the mid 90's with their 737-200's, flew them all summer from Liverpool to Dublin. Great service, cheerful, Cockpit visits, cheap (£50 return, and no extras). Oh what went wrong?

Apprentice Yoda
3rd May 2016, 09:54
Airlines I've worked for that are no longer with us;
BIA
Dan-Air
Air Uk
Brymon
Capital
Jersey European (Flybe doesn't count!)

Seems my career has been spent destroying companies.
I failed with Loganair though, they seem to be teflon coated.
Most fun was had in Brymon and Jersey European, when they felt like family.

Old King Coal
4th May 2016, 19:09
Air Europe = my first airline job, and the riotous room parties.
Astraeus = the lovely people with a 'can do' attitude, and riotous room parties.
British Caledonian = the tartan.
Dan Air = riotous room parties.
Suid Afrikaanse Lugdiens (SAA, as was) = the biggest & strongest G&T’s that I’ve ever been served in flight!

And did I mention the riotous room parties?... those were the days! ;)