PDA

View Full Version : How much math is used at the NATS college?

DIAF
4th Sep 2009, 11:14
Math has never been my forte and I'm a bit worried.

whitelighter
4th Sep 2009, 13:03
Brush up on your basic multiplication and Division. I shouldnt have thought it would be any more advanced than GCSE stuff to be honest.

There is a link somewhere to dome goo SDT equations. If your maths is weak, then I guess you have some time to improve it.

tesox
4th Sep 2009, 13:42
Remember in our profession, the most important equation is that one plus one never equals two.

inchy
4th Sep 2009, 13:53
Have you passed the selection tests?

aaaabbbbcccc1111
4th Sep 2009, 15:41
Having passed all three stages and been given my start date for the college I completely agree with the previous two statements. The best thing to do is relax, sleep well, and eat well the day of the testing.

The most studying I did when I was going in for my testing was read the information NATS sent me(several times) and took down some notes on the main things and abbreviations.

Aside from that I got a good nights sleep, a huge breakfast, and went in with a positive attitude.

If you have passed all 3 selection tests, you really should have done more background reading. How much maths do you think a controller does when he is controlling?

Atcham Tower
4th Sep 2009, 17:27
<How much maths do you think a controller does while he is controlling?>

Not a lot, apart from converting UTC to local time and working out how long till his early go ...

PDF
4th Sep 2009, 18:49
DIAF - i'm doing basic radar at the moment, i've only just finished 5 weeks of death by powerpoint and started on the sims today. Basic maths required for the college is can you do your 6 times table ? (S/D/T calculations) and also multiply\divide things by 30 ? (Altimetry)

In the sims, only real maths in use at the college is to work out top of descent point and that is a very basic calculation, one of which you soon forget as it beomes second nature when to descend.

P

ZOOKER
4th Sep 2009, 20:57
PDF.
300+50ft/nm, and a little bit to kill the speed. :ok:
DIAF, By "math" do we mean mathematics, perchance?

Dan Dare
4th Sep 2009, 22:28
Of course you are all talking about arithmetic and not mathematics. Some simple arithmetic required in ATC, but I guess thats why they test it before the course.

Flaps ten please
5th Sep 2009, 06:52
Working out how much beer your 1% payrise will get you