PDA

View Full Version : Flying opportunities around Calgary with UK (JAR) PPL?

martynj3
4th Sep 2009, 03:27
An unexpected business trip to Calgary (groan) can perhaps be mitigated by persuading some FBO to rent me a C172 or similar :D . Any tips? A scan shows a couple of useful previous threads, but rather dated. I've already some experience of high altitude strips, but with the limited time can skip the mountain flying until there is a chance to do a proper course.

Thanks

S-Works
4th Sep 2009, 08:21
You will need to got the TC office in Calgary and get a validation of your UK licence. It does not require the stupid CAA stuff that the FAA require. You just pitch up and show them your documents and pay the money and they issue a 12 month validation. This will allow you to rent and fly solo.

martynj3
4th Sep 2009, 11:09
Bose-X, thank you for the information - sounds easy!
Any FBO recommendations?

S-Works
4th Sep 2009, 12:20
The Canadians are a very pragmatic bunch and like to see solutions not problems! I don't have any FBO suggestions for Calgary, each time I have flown there I have been ferrying from Nova Scotia. Google I suggest will come up with a few options or one of our Canadian posters like PilotDAR may offer some suggestions.

gasax
4th Sep 2009, 13:36
Use the COPA site (Canafian Owners and Pilots Association) to locate RBO operators and you might find some good feedback on the AvCanada forums. It will spoil you!!!

robindriver
6th Sep 2009, 16:08
I would like to add a recommendation for flying near Calgary......

I did a ME rating with Calgary Flying Club from Springbank Airport, between Calgary and Banff, a few years ago. Transport Canada validated my PPL with no problems, and the flying was spectacular - their training area was around (and occasionally between...) the Rockies - fantastic! This will take you to the club website: The Calgary Flying Club (http://www.calgaryflyingclub.com/index.html) and I would certainly go there again if I had the chance......

martynj3
7th Sep 2009, 06:19
Robindriver - thank you. I found that site and on 'paper', seems fine - good to get a recommendation. Not sure about the $10/hr surcharge to help them buy new a/c, but at those wet rates, who is complaining?

Any suggestions for swotting up on R/T and airspace differences?

Thanks

robindriver
7th Sep 2009, 07:30
I flew from there in 2001, at which time there were no airspace restrictions to speak of - looking at their website, it is a bit more complicated now as the controlled airspace around Calgary has expanded to include Springbank, although I'm not sure what effect this has on them day to day. I don't remember RT being significantly different, so a quick chat when you do the check ride should be plenty - although I stand to be corrected on that if anyone has different experiences. As for the surcharge, as you say the wet rate more than makes up for it. I don't know the conversion rate of the $ now, but when I did my ME it was cheaper to fly there on Air Canada, do the course and test, and fly back, than it was to do it locally (the Seminole there cost about the same as a PA28 here at the time). It is a high altitude airfield, so that's the one significant thing to bear in mind -I think the elevation was about 4000ft, so I had to calculate if the single engine ceiling on the Seminole was below ground level before each flight!

It's well worth trying though, just for the views of the Rockies if nothing else!