PDA

View Full Version : California Flying (On different countys)

Aerocadet
3rd Sep 2009, 01:07
Good day!

Did anyone have good experiences in flying in California for building flight time?

I plan to do it in Palm Springs, CA. How's the weather? Anyone did Mountain Flying? Is it good for private training also?

Thanks a lot! :ok:

FlyBoyFryer
3rd Sep 2009, 06:05
I carried out about 90 hours flying in just over 5 weeks Aug-Sept 07, based out of Gillespie (KSEE) near San Diego.

Weather was predictably sunny and hot and there was tonnes of places to see. I landed up flying up and down the coastline many times, making excursions to the Grand Canyon, Vegas, LA basin many times (night flying is brilliant - ATC might even let you carry out touch and go's at LAX if it's late enough)... even made it to San Fransisco and back in a day with an instructor friend!

Just make sure you don't fly alone over long distances, plan your routes carefully and make sure your aircraft rental is from a solid/reputable hire company.

Palm Springs was a blast, I flew in and out of there a few times too. Watch the density altitude on hot days - it can catch you out!

Big Bear is a really cool place to fly into as well - it's one of the highest places around, elevation of 6752":

PilotAge - Airports of Southern California (http://airports.pilotage.com/l35/)

Fun Place to Fly - Big Bear Airport, Big Bear, CA (http://www.funplacestofly.com/funflydetails.asp?id=51)

Oh... and watch out for windshear at some of the airfields/airports within the Mojave desert - again, be sure, be safe!

Make sure your camera is fully charged - you're bound to have incredible times/memories I'm sure! :D

sirdeluxe
3rd Sep 2009, 08:50
I fully agree with FlyBoyFryer. Did my PPL at Gillespie (Welcome to American Aviation Academy (http://www.flyaaa.com)) one year ago and built another 60 hours in last november. Aircraft are mostly older Cessnas but well maintained and reliable and the rates are very affordable.

I have also been to Palm Springs several times, a relative of mine is the chief FI at the Flight School there. If you want to fly newer airplanes go there. The rates are slightly higher but the planes are all G1000-equipped. Density altitude can also be a factor there but not as much as in Big Bear :). For my taste Palm Springs was way too hot even in mid to late september (up to 43° C). This can be hard to handle if you are not used to it. San Diego has a more favorable climate and countless possibilties to party :E.

Flying in the coastal area can be challenging due to the dense traffic but it's worth it. Especially in the LA Basin good planning, accurate flying and bomb-proof communication is neccessary or ATC will send you back to where you came from. If you can't fly into LAX take the mini route and cross the field from south to north or vice versa.

If you fly out to the east don't miss Sedona, Arizona. One of my favourite destinations in the southwest. And there are dozens more of amazing places to see and to fly to. Go there and discover, i'm sure you'll love it as much as I did.

profot
3rd Sep 2009, 15:49
I agree with most of the above comments, I would be cautious of the LA basin and the Marine Layer which is fairly prominent most of the year. I don't think you would suffer too much with density altitude where you are thinking unless your a/c is worn out, underpowered or overloaded as I used to fly in and out of Big Bear in a clapped out 172 full fuel and 3 up in the hottest weather and still attain 300 ft/min

If you wanted virtually guaranteed flying every day the Vegas/Nevada area is generally superb and there are some good rental places at North Las Vegas airport that can offer you the latest as well as the cheaper single pistons to rent at reasonable prices

eagles wings
18th Sep 2009, 12:48
Hi,

Any experience with Northern California?
I've been checking out Aerodynamic Aviation's website and it looks good. They also have a link page with spots worth flying to.
I'm just curious about the school and if they're a safe bet?

Thanks,

Eagles Wings

Aerocadet
19th Sep 2009, 01:04
@profot

Any recommendations on flight schools in Nevada accepting foreign students?

Thanks. :ok:

profot
20th Sep 2009, 10:42
Elite Aviation have a good selection of new a/c from Cessna to Cirrus

There are also two other schools on the North Las Vegas airport site that I remember, one in particular was very busy with foreign students i think it was called westair. The other alternative would be to rent from San Diego where they have numerous schools accepting foreign students and fly into Nevada for a few days to build time, it really isn't far

Aerocadet
20th Sep 2009, 20:47
Good day!

Just to add.. Has anyone trained in "Flight School at Palm Springs"? How was the ground/flight instruction? Instructors?

I am strongly considering to train (PPL-IR-CPL) there not only because it's in California but also because of the modern fleet of C-172s they have. They accept international students too.

Any comments on this choice of flight school?

Thanks! :ok:

Aerocadet
20th Sep 2009, 20:53
:)@profot

Thanks for the info! I like the flight schools you have recommended.