PDA

View Full Version : Advice on ATC

rac3r
1st Sep 2009, 11:54
Hi all i'm new to this forum so don't shoot :\

I was originally set on being a pilot but there is no way I can afford to get my CPL so I've now turned to my second dream of becoming an ATC :ok:

I'm currently at Middlesex uni (2nd year business and marketing) and once I've finished I want to apply but I want to start working towards it now so is there anything you guys would recommend?

I've also had a look at the sticky about the application process, I get the rough idea but i'm still not quite sure. Also how much Maths is actually involved? As maths is not my strong point :ugh:(Got a C for GCSE higher Maths)

Any help would be appreciated :E

niknak
1st Sep 2009, 18:27
Finish your degree, then apply to either NATS or Eurocontrol for a training position.

You don't have to be a mathematical genius to get in but the ability to make time/speed/distance calculations is important.
Both organisations place a lot of credence upon psychometric testing, so use your University contacts to get as much practice as you can with that.

Other than that, study what's already been posted on this forums in the stickys and be prepared for some very hard work.
Once you are in you'll love it and, unless you get seriously affected by ATCO Moaning Disorder, (which you can catch on this site but their is a cure:p), you'll probably never want to leave.

thorisgod
1st Sep 2009, 20:09
Not sure if telling everyone in ATC land that you would rather be a pilot and this is a second best, is the best start; but good luck anyways;)

Thorisgod

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
1st Sep 2009, 20:16
I agree with thorisgod.. ATC is not a substitute for flying. They are two totally different jobs and the only link between them is the R/T.

I accept what Niknak says about finishing your degree although I do not believe that having a degree is of any particular advantage in ATC. I've seen as many graduates fail as people straight out of secondary school. It ultimately comes down to whether one has the special skill required - some have, some haven't.

Good luck with your career whatever you decide.

rac3r
1st Sep 2009, 22:42
Thanks for the advice guys. Don't worry I'm definitely sure that an ATC is what I want to be :ok:

Yeah the plan is to finish my degree as I've already finished my first year and am enrolled in the second.

Are there any books or things that I could read in the mean time?

coolbeans
2nd Sep 2009, 07:46
I wanted to be a pilot, and now Im an ATCO.

To be fair I also wanted to be a ghostbuster and a T-Rex so I probably chose the right path

ADIS5000
2nd Sep 2009, 12:04
rac3r,

You'd probably be better off arranging a visit to your local airport's ATC than reading lots of weighty rule books. However if you must read stuff, the PPL Law and Meteorology books are quite good.

Regards, ADIS

Roadrunner Once
2nd Sep 2009, 12:22
'Air Traffic Control' by Graham Duke is a great introduction, particularly to the UK system. Not too long, well explained and up to date - new edition just out.

rac3r
2nd Sep 2009, 13:37
Thanks roadrunner I'll look into that one :ok:

Adis5000 How would I go about arranging a visit? Do I just simply call up and ask?

Scott Diamond
2nd Sep 2009, 14:32
Yes and suggest you mention you want to be an ATCO and not 'an ATC'. Sorry, I had to be pickey before anyone else was :}

Pat42
3rd Sep 2009, 13:49
Hey rac3r,

I'm currently going through NATS selection at the minute. With regards to preperation, I don't think there is really a huge amount you can do that will be terribly helpful for selection at your stage. Obviously some background study in air traffic control will help fuel your enthusiasm, and may stand you in good stead if you get through to the training, but very little of this will have any relevance to the selection process (might look good on your application form though ;)). Most of the selection exams are things like spatial awareness and numeracy rather than actual questions about air traffic control (there is one exam on this, but it is based entirely upon a document provided by NATS rather than any books or other info, check out http://natscareers.co.uk/docs/test_materials.doc).

If you're not too good at maths then it might help to start practicing your mental arithmatic and speed/distance/time calculations. This is fairly basic math so even if you struggled at school you can probably overcome this obstacle if you put a bit of work into it. You need to be able to do fairly simple math quickly and accurately rather than having to do anything complicated. A good website for practice questions is Speed Distance Time | OASC: RAF Officer and Aircrew Selection Centre (http://www.speeddistancetime.info) there are loads of examples here that are very similar to the kind of questions I've been asked so far in selection, and this website also tells you how quickly you are working (try and aim for an average of less than 30 secs per question once you get onto the tougher ones).

For more info on the selection process, and the official advice from NATS for preparing for each stage, check out Application process - Jobs and careers at NATS (http://atcocareers.co.uk/application-process.html)

Apart from that there's not really a lot you can do until you've finished your degree and are ready to start selection. I'd definitely encourage you to focus on your course for the time being rather than getting too worried about the ATCO stuff. I don't think NATS are particularly interested in qualifications (past GCSE) and your degree will give you no specific advantage in that regard, but if you are used to working hard and focusing on your studies then this will be a useful and transferrable skill that will serve you well. If you are really keen then it might be worth starting your application before you are finished your course as the selection process can take several months... but once you're started it can be quite hard work so if it were me I'd wait rather than risking screwing up my finals because I'm concentrating on ATCO selection.

rac3r
4th Sep 2009, 11:56
Thanks for the advice and the links, much appreciated :ok:

Yeah I'm going to concentrate on getting my degree first so that I have something to fall back on just in case.

BTW good luck and thanks again :)