PDA

View Full Version : NATS vs Eurocontrol vs College

sorinc03
30th Aug 2009, 12:29
Hey guys,
I'm finishing high-school in June '10 and was wondering what would be best to do. I want to become either an ATC or a pilot. Later this September I will be applying to several universities in the UK and US but will want to study Computer Science (as a fall-back degree).

However, something's been bugging me for the past days - both Eurocontrol and NATS take kids fresh out of high-school and train them to become ATCs, provided there are vacancies. Should I also apply to these 2 institutions and if they accept me, go? What about my university studies - could I get a degree online or something? Because, if I get a job as an ATC, I don't think I'd be able to spend 3-4 years in college, would I?

In conclusion, what would be best? Apply to NATS/Eurocontrol and, if there are vacancies and they accept me, move on and become an ATC or get my degree and then figure out if I want to become what my degree offers me(programmer), a pilot, or an ATC? Moreover, if you suggest I do the first option (become an ATC next year), what would be best to choose - NATS or Eurocontrol? Why?

Thanks,
Sorin

sorinc03
30th Aug 2009, 13:33
Thanks for the link - found some pretty good replies in there:) One question though: Can I apply before getting my Secondary education certificate? I will take the Romanian Baccalaureate in June 2010. Can I apply, say, in February or do I need to tell them about my grades first?

paperclip810
30th Aug 2009, 14:05
As long as you're 18 and have enough qualifications already to meet the entry criteria, you can apply now. If you need this certificate to meet the qualifications requirement, then you'll have to wait.

Hope that helps.

sorinc03
30th Aug 2009, 17:19
If I do get into one of the 2 companies, how do I get a Uni degree afterwards?

Gonzo
30th Aug 2009, 17:47
In the UK we have The Open University (http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/)

Out of interest, why are you only considering NATS and Eurocontrol?

sorinc03
30th Aug 2009, 18:09
I've loved aviation since I was little - I travel a lot and hence enjoy flying. My dad's actually an ATCO and that's where I have the aviation "syndrome" from, basically:) I used to spend time with him at work when I was about 8-9 and I wished I could talk to airplanes like that or be the airplanes...The thing about flying is that flight schools are very expensive and it's rather difficult to go in that direction:(

Scott Diamond
30th Aug 2009, 18:45
Then how does your dad recommend you get into it?

sorinc03
30th Aug 2009, 19:13
My dad said that, if he were in my shoes, he'd first go to university. The thing is that, if I go to college and study computer science, for example, in my 3rd year I plan to take an internship. So I would basically have a job by the end of college and my aviation dream would be sort of gone, which I do not wish.

But nor would I turn down a job offer in the field I'd study given that I like programming as well...help

Minesapint
31st Aug 2009, 09:24
"Officer" that always gives me a giggle.

put a donk on it
31st Aug 2009, 19:44
i joined nats at 18 straight out of secondary school and validated just after my 21st birthday, i say go for it, you can always apply for uni if you dont succeed with your nats application, in your position you have nothing to lose:)