PDA

View Full Version : Neil Fox aka "Dr Neil Fox" and helicopters!

SECRET SERVICE
27th Aug 2009, 19:51
Sad I know - but just a few days ago I was watching day time television and viewed "Celebrity cash in the attic!"

It turns out the celeb was Neil Fox, aka "Dr Fox" the radion dj from the "Magic 105.4 FM" to which he stated one of his loves in life (apart from his family) is flying helicopters to which he has held a licence for 17 years.

I must admit I've popped into a few celebs since I've been flying helicopters but never Neil Fox.

What's his story, ie -where did he do his training in order to obtain his PPL(H) and he also mentioned that over the years since he has been flying he has owned four helicopter types. Does anyone the types used apart from the Gazelle which he produced a photograph was shown him and his son next to the Gazelle!

I'm just nosey and just for my info, really?

SS

Tarman
27th Aug 2009, 19:58
Why don't you contact Magic FM and ask him?

SECRET SERVICE
27th Aug 2009, 20:00
Because I thought I'd receive a sensible answer via the power of Pprune, silly? Catch my drift!

Tarman
28th Aug 2009, 07:11
I thought that contacting the one person who would know the answer was a sensible suggestion ! The lack of responses to your request maybe indicates that other PPRuNers feel the same.

Agaricus bisporus
28th Aug 2009, 07:49
A radio DJ from magicFM is a "celeb?" Hmmm...

Never even heard of the station, let alone him.

Some "celeb".

JimBall
28th Aug 2009, 10:40
Trained at Stapleford. Had a Bell 47 for a while. Then a Nigerian Gazelle bucket of rivets. Think both are gone now.

Sir Niall Dementia
28th Aug 2009, 11:19
Gazelle was registered G-SKUL and contrary to being a bucket of rivets underwent a full G check at MWH and Neil worked as labourer/coffee maker and sweeper to the engineers so that he could learn about the aircraft. Aircraft was originally civvy built and had a full PT C of A.

Sadly when Neil sold the machine it went on the Yugoslav register and was the one which crashed in Yorkshire earlier this year. I often flew with Neil and was impressed by his attitude to flying, his knowledge of his machine and the sheer joy he took in flying.

I hope he gets back into flying and he was always a great ambassador for helicopters.

SND

b.a. Baracus
28th Aug 2009, 12:14
The Bell 47 was in UN livery and as I recall was featured on the front cover of one of the Transair catalogues.

kevin_mayes
28th Aug 2009, 14:10
I think the Bell-47 was G-XTUN a 47G-3B-1

Final 3 Greens
28th Aug 2009, 14:20
I met he gentleman at North Weald one day many years ago, when I flew from there.

He had a Bell, but IIRC he told me that is was a Souix, as in ex military aircraft, as opposed to a civvy 47.

Have to say he was a very nice guy, I had no idea who he was and was interested in his machine as my friend flew a 47, we had a nice chat about the helo and flying in general.

It was only was we were driving away that my daughter asked if I knew who I was speaking to :}

Sometimes I hear his voice on Magic, listening in the internet and it brings back the memory of a pleasant conversation.

SECRET SERVICE
29th Aug 2009, 18:52
Firstly, sorry for the delayed response.

Secondly, thank you so much JimBall :ok:, Sir Niall Dementia :O, b.a. Baracus :D, Kevin mayes :) and finally, Final 3 Green ;) for your informative responses.

It just goes to show - that no matter how trivial a thread may be for one, to another it clearly can be very knowledgeble.

As far as I'm concerned - the power of Pprune and you guys have saved the day once again, to which all my questions have now been answered, and I thank you for taking the time to respond.

As for Neil Fox - he does appear to be a very genuine, honest and likable
person and is clearly very passionate about flying helicopters. Keep up the good work Neil, both on the radio and in the air, and if I ever fly into Stapleford and do get the opportunity to cross paths with you - I'll happily buy you a beer!

All the best

SS

ShyTorque
29th Aug 2009, 21:27
I met "Dr" Neil Fox at Battersea. I instantly liked his laid back and modest personality - genuine person who seemed to be unaffected by his "celeb status". Certainly a bloke that most heli pilots would be very happy to share a tale or two over a beer or three. Even better, he's a biker. :ok:

(And after that public accolade he now owes me a beer ;) ).

choppertop
30th Aug 2009, 16:56
He used to live next door to my elderly aunt in Worcester and she said he was a lovely boy who used to help her in with her shopping. Nice.