PDA

View Full Version : flyboys over south china sea

radarbloke.ana
27th Aug 2009, 10:58
What would you do when fast moving targets suddenly appear on your radar and mess your civilian traffic? Approximately 10 targets with varying altitudes from 15,000ft to 34,000ft...they appeared to have departed from an aircraft carrier operating on international waters...negative radio contact nor prior coordination with the appropriate ATC facility.

At one instance I had to veer my civilian traffic to the right coz i noticed a target at his 9 o'clock climbing to and maintained the same altitude as my civilian traffic's (FL340).

Would you rely on the idea that these carriers have advance surveillance system and they have onboard radar and military atc overseeing the whole operation?

radarbloke.ana
27th Aug 2009, 14:02
thank you for the idea. we have not thought that having a direct link between atc facility and the carrier could be practicable. :ok:

divingduck
28th Aug 2009, 19:39
When the boys in grey get up off their carriers, the best approach is just to pass traffic to your civvie guys.
Giving headings etc can be counter productive as the fast jet jockies are probably running an intercept (illegally usually) and may get all excited when the "target" veers away.
Make some derogatory remarks on 243.0, that usually gets their attention.:ugh:

singalong
29th Aug 2009, 17:06
Do any of you atcers ask civil aircraft whether radar vectors was required to avoid the unidentified traffic? Is this a ICAO procedure?

On the beach
1st Sep 2009, 09:40
The only thing that used to work in Dubai in the 80's was to broadcast the "lat" and "long" of the carrier on both 121.5 and 243.0. That seemed to get them to move and out of the final approach path. If you annoy them enough times you may find that it speeds up the co-operation from their military attache.

On the beach :ok:

Liobian
2nd Sep 2009, 17:06
One more thing, radarbloke... you may have some success (in making your case to them) if the contacts were penetrating controlled airspace, where a clearance is normally required. I'd guess that FL340 at your location is definitely Class A or B ? If it's likely to become a regular event, try to reach a compromise whereby they are level-restricted or given segregated airspace which suits your route structure. This worked pretty well for the ops I used to see in UK, and it negated some of the concerns that ATCOs had when faced with pop-up tfc.

divingduck
3rd Sep 2009, 22:25
Loads of grass...have to mow the 3/4 acre every 10 days or so:eek:
And GREEN??!!?? If it ever stopped raining, it would probably get greener!

cheers