PDA

View Full Version : Electronics (cell phone, laptops, etc) interfereing with A/C nav equipment

tyer22
26th Aug 2009, 14:52
How many of you pilots have experienced a navigation error or problem when someone uses their cellphone or other device? If you have could you describe what effect the device had on the A/C systems.

Over+Out
26th Aug 2009, 21:47
I'm an ATCO.
I once heard on the R/T a mobile phone trying to conect with a base station, whilst the A/C was talking to me. The A/C was a EIN (?) BAC146

wigglyamp
26th Aug 2009, 22:22
Below s the link to a UK CAA study conducted on the bench using standard light aircraft Nav equipment.

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAPAP2003_03.PDF

tyer22
27th Aug 2009, 20:34
well im referring to what you personally as a ATCO, flight crew, or FA have experienced with electronic interference on airliners. Such as B7X7 and others.

flipster
27th Aug 2009, 23:26
see replies to this thread - the answer is "we dont really know"

http://www.pprune.org/safety-crm-qa-emergency-response-planning/380379-electro-magnetic-interference-v-avionics.html

zoigberg
28th Aug 2009, 07:42
I have heard a mobile phone trying to connect (dit..ditditdit..dit noise) over the headset when taxiing out. Potential to drown out ATC calls (and no it wasn't the captain leaving his phone on!) Pretty off-putting really.

mad_jock
30th Aug 2009, 14:03
Not me but one I can remember from a ASR report.

During the decent the hold smoke warning went off stayed on for 30secs then canceled, on finals it went off again.

Emergency declared landed no probs, couldn't reproduce on the ground until the engineer took a call in the hold. Where apon the smoke alarm was triggered until he finished the call. It was presumed one of the pax had left thier phone on in a bag. There was no previous with this aircraft for surious alerts and neither was thier after.

They reckon it was some sort of ionising thing going on with the detector.

TurningFinals
30th Aug 2009, 18:21
MadJock,

Was that incident anything to do with the CRJ 700?

Ground handling manuals for the CRJ mention smoke dectectors being set off by mobiles, never seen it mentioned in other aircraft manuals.

mad_jock
30th Aug 2009, 21:43
Nope a Jetstream 41

Brian Abraham
5th Sep 2009, 19:48
Likewise, one of our pilots had a baggage smoke detector set off by a phone (S-76 helicopter).