PDA

View Full Version : "London Oxford Airport"

Arkwright
25th Aug 2009, 15:10
Capital new name for Oxford airport - Yahoo! News UK (http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21/20090818/tuk-capital-new-name-for-oxford-airport-6323e80.html)

And I thought "London Manston" was laughable!

Come on Blackbushe, your runways only 50 metres shorter.....and "London Blackbushe" sounds so sexy....... :O

ATCO Fred
25th Aug 2009, 16:42
Already been covered here: http://www.pprune.org/airlines-airports-routes/355934-oxford-kidlington-3.html

and here: http://www.pprune.org/private-flying/385624-kidlington-now-london-oxford.html

Don't see what all the fuss is about personally. If the 'rebranding' highlights to 'Johnny foreigner' (those with their own jet!) Oxford as an alternate destination and increases traffic levels then it's all been achieved with very little expenditure; especially considering the media coverage it's had. That's a win-win for the airport and its employees.

Lets not forget one of the countries leading Helicopter Operators recently 'rebranded' from Oxford Aviation Services to Capital Aviation Services for much the same reason and (so I am informed) this had a very positive affect on it's business.

Leave the distance arguments to the geography nerds - business is business.

x933
25th Aug 2009, 18:12
You can't argue that he's got a point though. Geographically Manston is closer to Calais than London...

Little bit of Ryanair'itis creeping into the Private Jet world. Thin end of the wedge :E

StressFree
25th Aug 2009, 18:19
This is totally stupid and not helpful to business aviation. Those from abroad who buy flights to "London" expect to arrive somewhere near to London and will be not amused to find themselves in Oxfordshire..............
One of the main benefits of private jets is that you can get nearer to where you want to go and save valuable time. What next - London Norwich or London Birmingham????
Nonsense, utter balls.............:eek:

capt.sparrow
25th Aug 2009, 19:31
Its better than asking for a flight to Palma and ending up in Parma..............

Fried_Chicken
25th Aug 2009, 23:42
Surely, if you have your own private aircraft & want to go to London, you'll fly to somewhere like Biggin Hill, Luton, Farnborough, Blackbushe, Fairoaks etc.. all of which are much closer to London than Oxford!

FC

flybypilot
26th Aug 2009, 08:06
We are based in Oxford and it is proving relatively popular with our punters, furthermore it depends where in London you are aiming to get to, Oxford is actually pretty good for the West End.

Cost is a big issue too at the moment and it is certainly a lot cheaper in all respects than EGLF and EGGW!!

Phil Brockwell
26th Aug 2009, 08:13
Bristol airport renamed Adge Cutler | News | This is Bristol (http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/homepage/Calls-rename-Bristol-Airport-Adge-Cutler/article-1284323-detail/article.html)

Miles Magister
26th Aug 2009, 11:20
I much prefer Lulsgate Bottom!

These days people ask for a trip to Bristol which results in discussion about which airport, it was much easier when they asked for 'Filton' or 'Lulsgate'.

MM

On standby
26th Aug 2009, 13:41
How about

"London Wales International" for CWL, "London Bristol South" for BRS & ''London Airbus International'' for Filton.

London Oxford, sorry it's a joke.

airborne_artist
26th Aug 2009, 13:46
You have to remember that lots of people outside the UK refer to anything inside the M25 as London - and so everything W of the M1/M23 isn't that long a journey from Kidlington.

Alphabet soup
26th Aug 2009, 13:57
ye olde never disputed London Gatwick is a lot further drive time from the west end than ye newe 'London Oxford'

well done oxford :-)

hawker750
26th Aug 2009, 15:30
Gatwick-West End
May be, but the really smart take the Gatwick Express and get there in less than 30 minutes but I do have to admit that a lot of the types that use Exec Jets prefer 90 minutes stuck in a Limo than taking a train

merlinxx
26th Aug 2009, 18:43
Thank you, and the rest of you lot, leave Our Little Airport in the Country (LGW) out of it:=

Bucket
9th Sep 2009, 21:20
Oxford is known well enough to most of the business community both here and overseas for it to stand alone as Oxford. Just Oxford...leave it at that. Oxford celebrated its 1000th anniversary last year so its been around a while as a town.

:ugh:

Indeed lets have London Cambridge to balance the equation then the academics at 'the other place' will not feel left out.

Doh.

Wycombe
9th Sep 2009, 22:33
Arkwright said:

Come on Blackbushe, your runways only 50 metres shorter.....and "London Blackbushe" sounds so sexy.......

Well, of course it once (pre-1960) properly was London Blackbushe. Then Gatwick was built and the rest is history....

It looked almost like a proper airport again today though, with 6 Bizjets on the main apron this afternoon.

eglk01
10th Sep 2009, 21:08
yes today we have

C525X1.
C510 X4.
HS125-800.
C680.

More please (may the weather stay nice :).

Bucket
26th Sep 2009, 19:21
Which Banana actually came up with the notion that Oxford was a tad too anonimous and required bigging up with a longer name? Re-branding has merits but this one does not.

:hmm:

Manuel de Vol
26th Sep 2009, 21:01
Get rid of navigators ... and what do you expect?;)

Arkwright
29th Sep 2009, 07:33
Flatspin, so you would really prefer doing Mayfair to Oxford rather than Mayfair to Farnborough?

Mayfair to Oxford: 58 miles, 1 hour 13 minutes.
Mayfair to Farnborough: 37 miles, 47 minutes. (both courtesy of Multimap)
:ugh:

OK, so only based operators have access at weekends, fair point.

Pets? No problems with them at FAB that I'm aware of..... certainly have carried pets in and out of there before.

Attitude from the groundstaff? Very surprised to hear that, TAG handling are usually very good, certainly less attitude than you'll find at most european destinations!!! (AND, you won't risk getting your car clamped at Farnborough :} )

flybypilot
29th Sep 2009, 08:35
To be fair as much as I like operating out of Oxford, the car parking situation was a huge and dire mistake that I hope they rectify very very soon.

:mad:

Avioactive
29th Sep 2009, 11:48
The distance is irrelevant, the drive-time and traffic you might meet in and out of town is significant. The M40 is quick and the M3 isn't, plain and simple. Mayfair to Oxford takes around the same drive time as the trip to Farnborough 9 times out of 10.

Oxford however is open longer hours, is much less costly, outside the London TMA, has no limits at the weekends and with what they've done to the handling, terminal and other capabilities, it's relatively stress free and easy.

Car parking was a problem but that is sorted now.

ATCO Fred
15th Dec 2009, 18:04
Best Business Aviation Airport as voted by the Airport Operators Association : Oxford (Kidlington) Airport EGTK/OXF - Oxford Airport win Award for Best Business Aviation Airport (http://www.oxfordairport.co.uk/news/oxford_airport_win_award.htm)

Air Babboo flights to Geneva start on Saturday!

hollingworthp
15th Dec 2009, 20:07
I came across this today:

This (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/picturegalleries/6262671/Ive-landed-where-Misleading-airport-names.html?image=4)

And This (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/picturegalleries/6262671/Ive-landed-where-Misleading-airport-names.html?image=5)

African Drunk
16th Dec 2009, 09:46
Having worked out of EGTK for many years I can only presume they spent money that should of beeen used to fix hangar doors on bribing the AOA

European Drunk
16th Dec 2009, 21:12
African Drunk - I thought your company had a ban on employees posting on PPRune? Naughty Boy.:oh:

DA50driver
16th Dec 2009, 22:14
I used to fly Falcon 900's and Gulfstream 5's in and out of Oxford Kidlington. The people that work at the airport are some of the nicest people I have dealt with in aviation. We had a lot of late changes, late arrivals and never a problem.

There was a driver there as well that ran his own business, his name is Rob. If you ever get to Oxford I would highly recommend him. He will help you with anything you need and give you a history lesson while doing it. I miss that place.

student88
17th Dec 2009, 01:06
It's so sad, really, who are they trying to fool?

Why don't we rename EGPH to London Edinburgh intl. whilst we're at it.

African Drunk
17th Dec 2009, 14:50
lol yes we have a ban on talking about ourselves on pprune. I think I might of put the ban in place myself.

AD