PDA

View Full Version : 2 Hot air Balloons over London!

alistairP
25th Aug 2009, 06:24
On my way to the office today,appx 06.00hrs, i saw 2 hot air balloons over central London. They were roughly 1000' and not going anywhere fast as the wind was 23004kt. Where would they have lifted from and where are they going? How much endurance do they have? as they will need a lot of time to get to open country i would have thought? I would have taken a few snaps but time was tight. I am guessing they may have something to do with the Olympic project? Any one have any ideas?
AlistairP.

echobeach
25th Aug 2009, 20:16
I also saw this driving in at 6. I thought this was a fantastic sight early in the morning. Also wondered where they had been launced from.

flybymike
25th Aug 2009, 23:11
Do they have to "land clear" in the event of burner failure? or are they just allowed to bonk someone on the head at low speed?

AlphaMale
26th Aug 2009, 12:19
I assume the rules are different for balloons to SEP light aircraft (as mentioned above engine/burner failure)?

I don't think I'd want to land a light aircraft in London city dead stick, nor be stuck in a basket with no lateral steering and where the only control I have is the rate of decent by letting the hot air out.

... Curious :confused:

oversteer
26th Aug 2009, 13:49
Balloon Flights in London (http://www.adventureballoons.co.uk/products-london.html)

Meet at dawn and weather presumably has to be "just right". £185 a go..

alistairP
27th Aug 2009, 08:17
Great link, thanks OVERSTEER. I have been living in London most of my years on this earth and i have never seen them before:confused:. Still they say you should learn something new every day:ok: It does seem like it could be a different way to see London and not too expensive in comparison to the £100 burger/tea run!