PDA

View Full Version : A Day in the life of N.Y. a.t.c.

chedchenko
24th Aug 2009, 01:38
Hi, I've just read this article on A.T.C........... Any comments? :eek:

TRAFFIC: GQ Features on men.style.com (http://men.style.com/gq/features/landing?id=content_8957)

Lon More
24th Aug 2009, 08:45
Congratulations.:suspect: You're the first person I've met who admits to reading that crap magazine although I expect that wannabee managers devour it eagerly every month.:yuk:

trailblazer
24th Aug 2009, 09:01
Not sure about how this article reflects reality for most US controllers, but the magazine itself is very good and has some fantastic writers.
Unfortunately the British version is more concerned with being trendy and focusing on fashion, but every now and then they have some nuggets too.
IMHO the American Esquire is the best magazine there is with a lot of extremely well written articles about every kind of subject matter, ranging from the tragic
and sad to utterly hilarious.
I really fail to see the correlation between wannabee managers and reading GQ, and would be very interested to hear what someone who thinks this is crap actually likes:rolleyes:

24th Aug 2009, 11:59
I thought it was quite well written and interesting. Makes me glad not to be an american. :ok:

ayrprox
28th Aug 2009, 13:38
I was interested in maybe trying the states IF they ever opened up their borders to already qualified controllers from outside the US, however this article seems to paint a pretty bleak picture of the job over there. Their opinion of their union/management relationship is the same as mine to ours.

PeltonLevel
28th Aug 2009, 13:46
But note the impact of a change in Federal government:
NATCA | Media Center (http://www.natca.org/mediacenter/press-release-detail.aspx?id=623)

cons
31st Aug 2009, 01:54
majority (if not all) of the controllers interviewed in the article are washouts....those who were training failures at TRACONs and ARTCCs....and many of them are mad at NATCA claiming its the unions fault for them washing out and being where they are now...these are the types that end up in management positions...thats why they spoke ill of the union and blaming NATCA for everything thats wrong in the faa now....

NATCA was against this article and did not want any of the controllers to interview with GQ...the writer chose not to interview the union rep at that facility...and instead chose to interview a manager there...

as far as the new contract goes...a majority of controllers aren't happy with the new contract