PDA

View Full Version : what is better ,, ppl ground school full time or self study

attorney82
23rd Aug 2009, 13:03
hi guys
what is better for ppl ,doing ground school full time or self study ? please i need your help

LMM21
23rd Aug 2009, 13:35
It's up to you mate. I go to ground school once a week so most of my time is spent self-studying. I would say go to ground school because you'll get to meet people who are in the same situation as you and if you have any trouble with one of the ppl modules then there is always someone there to help.
hope this helps:ok:

Lew747
23rd Aug 2009, 18:43
Agree with LMM21 above. I did an evening class once a week at London Met Uni, thoroughly enjoyed it and enabled me to get my exams out the way sharpish! I found pushing myself to self-study is hard when you've got to be the teacher, student and exam entry clerk in one! :ok:

PompeyPaul
23rd Aug 2009, 19:14
I self studied just because I had always wondered things like "how does a pilot know where to go ? There's lots of weird coloured lights on the runway and taxi ways", "how does the pilot know where he is and where to go to ? What does he do if he gets lost ?" etc etc

I enjoyed self study because it answered all of these questions. The great British weather managed to cancel quite a few lessons and the study / exams filled in the time as there was nothing else to do.

That said, it's horses for courses.

The Heff
24th Aug 2009, 09:23
I'd recommend self-study, because that's the way I did it and I passed. Its also cheaper to buy/borrow the books and sacrifice spare-time to actually read the books and answer the questions in the PPL confuser.

However, a friend of mine learnt the PPL groundschool subjects on a full-time course in Bournemouth, and doesn't regret paying the money for it. He got first-time passes and better scores than I did, and in less time.

What option you choose really boils down to what your licence is for you. Is it important that you know the subject matter really well, and are you looking to flying for a career in the airlines? Or do you just need to know enough to be safe in the air, and just want to fly for fun? If its the latter, maybe a full-time groundschool course would actually be wasting money that could be better spent on flying hours.

Whopity
24th Aug 2009, 12:51
You will be lucky to find a full time PPL ground school however, what you need to ask is are they teaching you the things you need to know to fly an aeroplane safely, or are they just teaching you what you need to know to pass the exams. As with most education these days passing the exams is the priority rather than learning the things you need to know. If they are doing the job properly it will be money well spent.

As an examiner who conducts the PPL Skill Test and the oral exam, I am amazed at how little the average PPL candidate knows about the machine they are flying. I often find it hard to believe they have passed a written exam.

liam548
24th Aug 2009, 15:41
I did mine all self study with no real problems. Done them all over the past 10 months with no real issues. Used both books and OAT CD roms for met/aircraft tech and nav.

Decent pass marks too. Now feel the need to start again with law and met...