PDA

View Full Version : Question about FAA

Terence_l22
22nd Aug 2009, 06:21
How FAA influent pilot, travel agent and shipper?
And also what is the role in air traffic?
thanks all

Tinstaafl
23rd Aug 2009, 05:07
Terence,

In the USA the FAA is the government body charged with regulating and fostering aviation. They set most of the rules to be complied with by anyone involved or interacting with aviation within the USA and its dominions. There are other government agencies that also impose rules but the FAA is one of the major ones.

You could also argue the sheer size of the US' aviation operations tends cause many other countries to harmonise their own rules with the US to some degree, thereby allowing the FAA to influence aviation in those countries too. Of course the US is also a member of the International Civil Aviation Organisation so having representatives there gives a direct influence on how other countries do things, too

As for ATC, in the US it is the FAA that is responsible for providing most ATC services.

Terence_l22
23rd Aug 2009, 15:41
Yes ^^ I am doing a project about FAA
Thanks for helping me .

Terence_l22
26th Aug 2009, 13:53
Does FAA only have authority in USA, or they can change all aviation rules all over the world, seems like every countries and airlines are taking order from FAA.

Also I was wondering if a non US commercial airline crash in non US territory, would FAA involve the investatgation?
In addition, if the accident involving Boeing a American company and would the jurisdiction change, and if it is involving a Airbus, and would that be any different??

Sorry for so much questions.. I have tried to look all over the internet but no luck. Thanks in advance..

Tinstaafl
28th Aug 2009, 00:28
Read this post (http://www.pprune.org/professional-pilot-training-includes-ground-studies/134076-some-general-background-info-frequently-asked-here.html)

The first part answers a lot of your questions.

MarkerInbound
28th Aug 2009, 05:26
The FAA has jurisdiction over aviation in the US. It also has jurisdiction over US aircraft and crews operating outside the US.

If a non-US registered aircraft crashes outside the US, the FAA is not normally involved. Take the Air France crash in the South Atlantic. But they will be paying attention to see if information should be passed on to US operators of Airbus aircraft.

If Air France had been flying a 747, Boeing would have been a party to the investigation as the manufacturer of the aircraft and the National Transportation Safety Board would have been a party as the governmental rep of the manufacturing country.

Terence_l22
28th Aug 2009, 17:42
Thanks, I was guessing the same thing.

bfisk
1st Sep 2009, 06:31
The basic idea is that each of the world states maintains sovereignty, and are thus free to establish rules and regulations as they see fit. Bilateral and unilateral agreements dictates who has jurisdiction in which cases. In plain language: each country decides their own rules, but they do cooperate on some areas.

The FAA is the governing body for flying operations in the US, and most countries will have similar bodies. Many of the worlds NCAAs, national civil aviaton authorites, base their regulations on the ICAO annexes, as does the FAA, however, many states have local variations.