PDA

View Full Version : CAA-Changes to Licensing Rules

GHB100R
20th Aug 2009, 20:44
Evening all,

I work in Air Traffic and have recently heard that the CAA are changing their rules with regards to the examinations and eligibility for both A/G and AFIS Licenses.

Does anyone know anything more about this and what is likely to be changed?

Also, could someone explain the reason for the minimum age restriction of 18 as i'm slightly confused as to the relevance of this when you can hold an RT license at 16 years.

Regards

2 sheds
20th Aug 2009, 21:21
GHB

In order...

What is this "air traffic" in which you work?

Not yet - until the CAA goes public.

AGCS is not licensed - the operator holds a certificate.

Seems perfectly reasonable - it assumes a certain (minimal) level of maturity and adult responsibility.

2 s

GHB100R
21st Aug 2009, 10:03
2 sheds,

I work in Air Traffic at an aerodrome that provides an AFIS Service to pilots.

Secondly, i admit that is wrong yes, they do hold a Certificate of Competence rather than a 'Licence' as such.

I have spoken to the CAA and they have openly confirmed that they are now changing the rules, i'm curious as to what they may incur.

rgds

Spitoon
21st Aug 2009, 17:48
GHB, if you want some help you're going to have to be able to concisely state your statement or issue. This, after all, is a pre-requisite of 'air traffic' - and I'd like to think that those involved in providing any form of air traffic service are able to do this.

Last I looked into it, FISOs have to hold a licence. People providing an AGCS (whatever that may actually be) have to hold a Certificate of Competence. Both need additional qualification in order to provide a service at any particular place.

As to what changes the CAA plan to introduce, if the CAA won't tell you, and as 2 sheds explained, you'll have to wait until they go public...probably through consultation on the proposals. Whatever they come up with, I presume that the rules will be intended to ensure that those on the ground providing an ATS have sufficient knowledge and skills to do the job. Certainly a step forward from the days when anyone with an FRTOL could get an AGCS Certificate of Competence!

As for the minimum age requirements.....was it really necessary for 2 sheds to explain? Providing an ATS is not something to be taken lightly!

2 sheds
21st Aug 2009, 18:22
I believe that consultation might commence in September. It will be interesting to see what the CAA comes up with in respect of the shambles that is currently the organisation of AGCS which (although still referred to as such in some documentation) does not qualify as an air traffic service under the ICAO definition. (Note GHB, air traffic service, not "air traffic"!).

2 s

coolbeans
22nd Aug 2009, 21:10
Ah, Memories of the bolloxings recieved for answering the phone "XYZ air traffic" instead of "XYZ Air Traffic Control"

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
23rd Aug 2009, 09:06
Space Cadets say "Air Traffic". Real controllers tend to use the radio callsign of the unit: Eg "Gatwick Tower".