PDA

View Full Version : Husband killed in kamikaze dive-attack on house!

Stonebird
29th Aug 2001, 15:44
A BUSINESS consultant who had been feuding with his wife committed suicide by dive-bombing their newly built house in his corporate plane.
Louis Joy, the president of a business consultancy firm, took off from Nashua, New Hampshire, on Saturday morning in his single-engined Socata Trinidad with a flight plan for Atlantic City, New Jersey.

Instead of flying south, however, he turned northwest towards his family’s palatial new home in the leafy community of Amherst. After circling the property several times, he apparently steered the aircraft through a cluster of trees and crashed it into the house. :eek:
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/0,,3-2001300438,00.html

N380UA
29th Aug 2001, 17:15
Too sad!!

aristotle
29th Aug 2001, 17:28
Yes this is quite an incident, it is in the next town over from where I am! The papers suggest he was trying to kill his wife and young daughter but fortunately for them they were not in the house.

EGGD
29th Aug 2001, 17:51
Damn

He must have been real pissed off.

smiths
29th Aug 2001, 20:47
Reminded me of Eddie Murphy in Beverly Hill Cops 2. After shooting Britte Nielsen, Eddie's partner made a laconic statement : "Woman!" :D

SaturnV
30th Aug 2001, 05:15
The wife had served her husband, the pilot, with a restraining order (meaning keep away from me) the day before. She then took her daughter and moved into a hotel. The next day, the husband/pilot made several low passes over the house, and then aimed his plane straight in. The resulting crash and fire obliterated the large and expensive residence, with just the foundation remaining.

Neighbors in Delaware, where the family had lived before moving to New Hampshire, described him as strange and secretive, so much so that they began to think he was in the FBI's witness protection program.

Kaptin M
30th Aug 2001, 07:33
I guess his action effectively means that the wife is left with nothing. Any life insurance policies he had taken out will be null and void because it was apparently suicide, and as it was a deliberate act on his part to destroy the house and aircraft, I assume the outcome for claiming insurance on them will also be refused!

Had he been taken to court for divorce proceedings, more than likely HE would have lost everything except his socks and jocks, and would have been paying her maintenance for the rest of his life.

Not entirely non-understandable, having seen what the divorce courts can do to a man!!

SaturnV
30th Aug 2001, 13:45
I believe the wife is also a business consultant, so she may not be financially deprived.

Assuming the house was jointly owned property, the insurance underwriters and lawyers will likely go round and round on this one. If this kamikaze dive was attempted murder rather than simply a very dramatic suicide -- and who can now know his full intent -- then she might be in a better position to collect on a claim.

The plane was apparently owned by their business corporation, and business insurance policies might indemnify other co-owners of a business from the rash acts of a principal.

Tricky Woo
30th Aug 2001, 14:12
Hi All,

I thought I'd get my bid in before this thread gets locked up.

If the woman's husband is the type of chap who would resort to murder/suicide, then I believe she may have had good reason to divorce the prat.

I have no sympathy for anyone who would do such a thing under any circumstance.

TW

Arkroyal
30th Aug 2001, 14:31
Quite!

Onan the Clumsy
30th Aug 2001, 22:36
Nobody should do THAT to an aeroplane.

Strikes me that if the guy wanted to top her that badly, then even if she gets no house and no insurance, she's still ahead of the game as he was going to keep trying until he was successful.

He still shouldn't have killed the a/c though.

MikeSamuel
30th Aug 2001, 22:49
Damn it, Trinidad, my favourite a/c...Why couldn't he have amde out a flight plan to Coventry, and gently landed it in my back yard? Grrrr!

:p

MarkD
30th Aug 2001, 23:25
Hmm... cue lots and lots of circuits with p!ssed off pilots trying to zero in on Michael O'Leary's place :D

Keg
31st Aug 2001, 09:39
What a waste of a Trinny!! :mad: :(

Don D Cake
31st Aug 2001, 18:45
Suicide doesn't necessarily invalidate insurance policies these days. A relative of mine unfortunately killed herself and all the insurance companies paid up without question.