PDA

View Full Version : FAR 23 and fuel reserves query.

aubzaubz
19th Aug 2009, 02:59
Hi,

I'm looking at some aircraft under the Light sport aircraft (LSA) FAA classification, which falls under FAR 23. I'm trying to find any specific information about the minimum amount of reserve fuel that is required under these regulations. I've had a look and searched through FAR 23 to no avail. If anybody can point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Intruder
19th Aug 2009, 03:11
I don't think you'll find anything in Part 23. You'll have to look at basic day/VFR operations in Part 91:

§ 91.151 Fuel requirements for flight in VFR conditions.
(a) No person may begin a flight in an airplane under VFR conditions unless (considering wind and forecast weather conditions)
there is enough fuel to fly to the first point of intended landing and, assuming normal cruising speed—
(1) During the day, to fly after that for at least 30 minutes

Genghis the Engineer
19th Aug 2009, 08:00
LSA doesn't fall under part 23 - there are separate "consensus rules" - although I'm damned if I can find them on the web anywhere right now.

We don't have LSA in the UK, but the nearest available regulations - BCAR Section S, require an aircraft to have sufficient spare weight available for crew + pax (at 86kg each) + 1 hours fuel at MCP.

G