PDA

View Full Version : 500' rule in France ?

Flyluke
18th Aug 2009, 18:12
Can anyone guide me to where I might find out if the 500' rule exists (or is enforced)On occasion, I'd like to follow suit in France?
I have a house near a tourist attraction, and planes/helicopters regularly pass by at 300' or so AGL.
Big open fields abound for emergency landings if necessary as do as plentiful cottages and villages - I wouldnt mind having a closer look myself if its viable!

'you should know this' / 'I wouldn't recommend it' style posters need not reply :p

werewolf
18th Aug 2009, 19:19
Official document : http://www2.equipement.gouv.fr/bulletinofficiel/fiches/BO200620/A0200059.pdf See page 2 item 4.6.b)
With pictures for beginners : http://www.planeur-stflo.net/pages/epcirculation/circulation.pdf See "Hauteurs minimales de survol"
... "150 mètres au dessus du sol ou de l'eau" (... above ground or water)
Hope that helps.

Whopity
18th Aug 2009, 20:37
I presume from you question you are referring to the UK and France. In France you cannot fly below 150 metres but in the UK the rule is in the Rules of the Air Rule 5 (3) (b) (b) The 500 feet rule
Except with the written permission of the CAA, an aircraft shall not be flown closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle or structure.Note there is no reference to the ground!

Roffa
18th Aug 2009, 22:01
If you're flying a G reg the UK rules still apply abroad, so you'd still need to comply with all of Rule 5.

Flyluke
19th Aug 2009, 14:21
Merci bien tout le monde!

very helpful

Whopity
19th Aug 2009, 15:14
If you're flying a G reg the UK rules still apply abroad, so you'd still need to comply with all of Rule 5.But Rule 5 is generally less stringent than the equivalent rule in other States i.e in the UK it is 500 feet MSD whereas in most States its 500ft AGL.

Roffa
19th Aug 2009, 16:39
I think the gotcha when flying a G reg abroad is that you have to comply with whichever rule is the stricter.

Local if it's the local rule that is stricter, ANO if it's the equivalent ANO rule that is the strictest.

Whopity
19th Aug 2009, 20:49
Rules of the Air are not part of the ANO! They are separate documents even though they are both located in CAP393.

Legalapproach
19th Aug 2009, 22:06
Errrr Whopity - if you think that the Rules of The Air are not part of the ANO you might want to have a look at Article 95 ANO. Just a suggestion.:*

Roffa
20th Aug 2009, 06:56
Whopity,

Wha'ever...

Application of Rules to aircraft

2. These Rules, insofar as they apply to aircraft, shall apply—

(a) to all aircraft within the United Kingdom;
(b) for the purposes of rule 5, to all aircraft in the neighbourhood of an offshore installation; and
(c) to all aircraft registered in the United Kingdom, wherever they may be.

Is what matters.

Whopity
20th Aug 2009, 07:31
Article 95 states that the Secretary of State may make "Regulations" called the Rules of the Air which are a Regulation enforceable under the Order. If they were part of the Order, you would not need Art 95.