PDA

View Full Version : Slow Skype

Rossian
16th Aug 2009, 19:00
Evnin; all - back with another question. I'm posting this from my daughter's laptop in Brissle. Her problem is that Skype takes 5-6 mins to be available after selecting it on the desktop with the little blue whirlgig going continuously. I've posted the Q in Skype help but one is presented wth a lot of answers to Qs that were NOT asked and nothing constructive about the Q that WAS asked. Anyone out there with any suggestions??
The Ancient mariner

Keef
16th Aug 2009, 23:12
Blue whirlygig? I get a green icon that starts with the pooter and works fine.

First thing to try is to uninstall it, restart the pooter, and then download and reinstall. Version around 4.0.0.226 should do the job.

Lightning6
16th Aug 2009, 23:36
I've got v4.1.60.145, no probs.

Keef
16th Aug 2009, 23:43
Glad to hear it. I usually wait a few weeks with major updates, till the "oh s**t!" bugs have been found and removed.

I'll update, then.

Keef
16th Aug 2009, 23:58
Hmmm. Update got me 4.1.0.141. That's using Windows 7, and Skype thinks that's the latest one.

Anyway, it seems to work OK.

Lightning6
17th Aug 2009, 00:10
I'm running Vista (yeah I know), probably different versions. Hijacking the thread briefly, how are you finding Windows7?

Rossian
17th Aug 2009, 19:46
Thanks chaps. Called daughter to tell her to try your suggestions (I've now moved on to Devon) and was met with "DAAAAAAAD I'm trying to organise a 7 yr old and a husband to go on hols to Thailand tomorrow evening - it can bloody wait!!!!!" Children today - no gratitude. I blame the parents meself.

The Ancient Mariner

Keef
17th Aug 2009, 23:22
Windows 7 - excellent. Couple of glitches, but overall it's way ahead of Vista and a fair way ahead of XP. It's also about twice as fast as XP. I've removed the XP drives from desktop and laptop and both now run 7.

I've heard there are folks who don't like it, but I've not met any.

On the Skype issue - let us know!