PDA

View Full Version : The Thomas Cook Thread

FormerFlyer
16th Aug 2009, 13:17
Hey

I've searched but come up with nowt.

My saddo housemate's going on the above in a few weeks - a once in 3 year type trip, so big event for her. She's wondering what sorta food & a/c she'll be on.

Food I guess bog standard but couldn't put her off the scent with my generic reply!! Now is it A330 plying the route or something else? Any insightful replies muchly appreciated :ok:

cheers ;)
FF

partyboy_uk
16th Aug 2009, 13:35
Yes, it will be an A332 operating the LGW-CUN flight.

inglebyboro
22nd Aug 2009, 09:00
Can anybody please tell me how far in advance can you pre-select your seat numbers if you use this service for TCX long haul flights?

Many thanks in advance
IB

Dazbo5
22nd Aug 2009, 23:51
I can't give you an exact timeframe, but several months. If you have your booking reference number, try logging in to the system. It's at least 6 months before your departure date as I'm flying with them in 2 weeks and logged in in March.

Darren

Rob Courtney
25th Aug 2009, 08:54
Can anyone please tell me what happened to TCX211L Reus-Man yesterday? We where delayed 7 hrs and the flight was eventually operated by a Belfast based Jet2 737. As usual the ground team in Reus didnt know much (didnt expect them to so not a complaint) except the inbound had gone tech at Cardiff.
As I said not looking to complain as these things happen just curious as to what happened.

Thanks,

Rob

mathers_wales_uk
25th Aug 2009, 09:28
As you are aware the REU-MAN was delayed. This was due to the aircraft operating a W pattern from manchester. MAN-REU-CWL-REU-MAN

Unfortunatly on arrival at CWL the aircraft had technical difficulties. TCX wanted the aircraft obviously to become servicable but it was a long fix and therefore TCX sub chartered a JET2 737-300 to operate the flight as the aircraft wasn't full on either sectors.

TCX once again trying their best to minimise the delays due to technical issues with aircraft no matter what the extra cost of sub-chartering a Jet2 aircraft.

Not sure how your experience was on the ground in regards to info but TCX operations had obviously came up trumps in trying to minimise the total delay to your flight.

Rob Courtney
25th Aug 2009, 09:48
Hi Mathers,

Thanks for that, no complaints from me any idea what the tech fault was? I knew about the 4 sector day, was crew operating hours a factor as well or was it a new crew?

As I said not looking to blame anyone just curious, no problems at the Reus end the new terminal is pretty comforable as terminals go and the airport staff very tolerant and accommodating. The Jet2 crew where great as well.

mathers_wales_uk
25th Aug 2009, 23:06
NDon't really want to give the reason of the issue on a forum but operating crew not a factor as i believe a change of crew at CWL therefore plenty of time to play with.

GROUNDHOG
10th Sep 2009, 09:42
We normally fly BA premium economy back and forth to Vancouver but there is a super deal on at Canadian Affair at moment on some dates so thought would give it a try. Aircraft is Thomas Cook A330.

Anyone know please in the premium cabin if it is true 1D and 1E have a little extra legroom?
6H and 6J - do these seats fully recline as they are at back of cabin?

Thanks for your help, not expecting quite the same standard as BA but good to know what to expect?

passy777
10th Sep 2009, 10:42
See the reviews on the following:

Thomas Cook Airlines Reviews and Thomas Cook Airlines Passenger Opinions about Thomas Cook Airlines standards (http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/thoscook.htm)

Can't speak from personal experience but my daughter came back from a 4 hour flight last week with TCX and is still suffering from aches and pains due to the lack of space (albeit economy).

The reviews may give some insight, but it does not look too promising. Remember the old adage, 'you only get what you pay for'!

HighFlyingSpanner
10th Sep 2009, 11:09
You might as well fly in the hold.

man friday
10th Sep 2009, 17:20
Quote "You might as well fly in the hold."

Hang on, if i recall it was BA you had an issue with, and their snobby attitude,

Please do make your mind up old chap

IJM
10th Sep 2009, 18:43
Flew Thomas Cook A330 Gatwick to Edmonton in Premium a few months ago, pretty good experience - decent amount of legroom and excellent service. I recall I was in the 4th row, can't comment on the seats you are enquiring about unfortunately.
The additional cost was not too pricey, and the increase in comfort/service was well worth going for.
If I was you, and bearing in mind Vancouver is a long flight, I would go for it! Have a good trip.

GROUNDHOG
10th Sep 2009, 20:19
Thanks IJM have already booked.
Thanks everyone, interesting comments..the trouble with sites like tripadvisor etc is that usually only the people that have had a bad experience or really great one bother to give a review. Few say 'it was what I expected' yet they are the majority of course
You do get what you pay for, we go to YVR regularly and usually booked well in advance BA premium (wtp) is only a couple of hundred pounds more than TC/AT or roughly 10%. This flight is almost half price so as long as the seat is comfortable and I can stretch out I don't mind if the newspaper is crumpled!

Rusland 17
11th Sep 2009, 05:54
You're correct, of course, that comments left by customers are statistically skewed towards the negative, and the relatively small number of people travelling in Thomas Cook Premium class makes the forums even more unreliable, but you should be wary of comments such as these:I sat in the Premium Cabin on a long haul flight to Canada and the seats were appalling and did not justify extra expenditure. It was like sitting on a park bench and thankfully they supplied a blanket which I needed to sit onWe had upgraded to Premium on this flight to Kerala (10 hours) and the product does not compare favourably with the First Choice upgrade, particularly with regard to the comfort of the seat. We would repeat a previous comment that it felt like sitting on a wooden bench - had to stand up at regular intervals to get the feeling back in our legs! Would avoid this airline (even upgraded seats) unless there is no option.I'm a little puzzled why someone who is normally happy (and able) to pay for a product such as World Traveller Plus would even consider booking a charter airline just to save a few hundred pounds.

But, whatever your experience, please don't forget to relate them here and on the other site (are we allowed to mention it by name?) so that others may be helped to make the right choice in future.

FL370 Officeboy
11th Sep 2009, 09:54
Thomas Cook longhaul has more legroom than BA. You can't compare modern charter airline longhaul configurations with their shorthaul cabins. Standard charter legroom in longhaul (TCX and TOM at least) is around 33".

I think you'll have a perfectly good experience with Thomas Cook and be pleasantly suprised :ok:

HighFlyingSpanner
11th Sep 2009, 10:46
I think the only beverage you'll be asking for the following morning is a cup of DV Tea

Doors to Automatic
11th Sep 2009, 10:49
I booked this very flight last night for the end of the month. Cost me £550 in Premium. I will report back when I get back from my holiday in early October. Have pre-booked seats in row 6 (the only non-middle section seats available) so I'm interested in the recline question!

flyinthesky
11th Sep 2009, 15:33
Spanner, what bit of 33" legroom in standard traveller class don't you understand?????

You get no more in scheduled economy so quite how one would suffer DVT more with a charter such as TCX over those ever so wondrous schedule operators I do not know.

You get what you pay for. On charter, you get a meal, entertainment and the option to purchase whatever quantity of drink you would like. On schedule, you get the huge difference of inclusive drinks (if you are lucky, these days)

There is nothing wrong with travelling charter. But then again, it's more fun to have a go at the great unwashed. If you can afford to put your money where your overly active gob is, then good on yer. But for many, TCX/TOM provide the opportunity to travel to plenty of places that the schedules don't/ won't

GROUNDHOG
11th Sep 2009, 16:14
Rusland - In reply to your being puzzled yes I am fortunate enough that I can afford to fly BA, WT+ but the normal fare would be around £1800 for two of us. Like Doors to Automatic we are this time paying just over £1000 so because of the excellent price can afford to make an extra trip over when we would otherwise have stayed at home! We too are travelling end of the month and will report back!

We will go over again at Christmas then again in February and almost certainly BA.

GROUNDHOG
30th Sep 2009, 19:36
So here is that report from sunny Canada.

Apart from the fact G-OMYT is passed its sell by date and looked really tired the outbound flight was as good if not better than BA. Super staff, acceptabe legroom and great service. If the inbound is as good will certainly use TCX regularly. Complaints, only the aircraft really, the IFE was virtually uselss and the headphones from a Christmas cracker. Super pillows and blankets plus amenity kit though and the food on board whilst not great was quite adequate.

To answer my own question row 1DEF are restricted somewhat by the bulkhead and row 6 does fully recline. So far well done TCX.

Doors to Automatic
4th Oct 2009, 17:37
I arrived back in the UK this morning after a reasonable flight back from YVR. We arrived over an hour early (due to headwinds) which was a real bonus.

The product is good average, certainly nothing bad about it but nothing outstanding either. The best part of the homeward journey for me was the priority check-in. It certainly made a big difference to get checked in after queuing behind 2 people rather than 200!

The priority tags attached to my bag were meaningless as the bags arrived with everyone elses and letting the premium cabin off the plane first would make a big difference (compared to the unordered disembarkation that actually occured) but the on-board service was very good.

The Cabin Service Director on TCX 52 this morning was one of the best I have ever seen - she really took pride in her job and was very patient and kind to an elderly lady sat next to me. That certainly makes a huge difference to the overall experience.

Food was ok but nothing to write home about. A snack box containing a pasta salad, chocolate brownie cake, cheese and biscuits and a small Galaxy Bar. The hot meal was served separately was very small. Three glasses of wine and a coffee were also served with the meal.

Seats were reasonably comfortable and the extra width and leg-room were noticeable but not as good as BA's WT+ (but not as expensive either). But I am certainly glad I was not down the back with their 3+3+3 configuration.

IFE was useless - as Groundhog says the headphones were out of a cracker and only worked in one ear. The well-meaning CSD supplied an "adaptor" but this took away all the sound! The Airshow was not working at all on the way back.

So all in all about right for the price paid but BA WT+ is streets ahead if it is trading at around the £600-700 mark.

I would certainly never travel economy with TC.

Outbound flight identical except for a nice 11 hour delay - due to a technical problem with one of the engines. The Duty Manager at LGW was very friendly and professional and allowed me to leave the airport (which he didn't have to do). He even took my mobile number so he could call me if the departure time was brought forward.

That said I would rather be 11 hours late than wind up at the bottom of the Atlantic!

All in all ok and and I'm certainly glad I paid the extra £150 or so but it is certainly not a patch on BA's WTP and only marginally better than BA's WT.

GROUNDHOG
14th Oct 2009, 18:25
As promised we are now back in the UK and have to agree 100% with everything Doors To Auto says. In summary.
THE GOOD:- crews, premium check in, punctuality
THE BAD:- IFE pathetic, headsets are a joke, priority offloading and baggage doesn't happen, average food.
THE UGLY:- G-OMYT looks tired and tatty.
We got what we paid for as Canadian Affair were offering a special deal so impressed overall but under normal circumstances the cost difference to flying BA WT+ is not enough to drag me away either I am afraid.

cleo
3rd Nov 2009, 18:18
Can anyone help with advice on good seats on transatlantic TCX A330?
Preferably forward of the engines and not beside the toilets please.

IJM
3rd Nov 2009, 20:10
There was a thread on this subject a few weeks back - if I remember correctly it was started by Groundhog? That may be a good starting point?

cleo
3rd Nov 2009, 20:12
Oops ! :\
Thank you

BusDriverLHR
2nd Feb 2010, 13:46
Hi,

I'm travelling to INN from LGW with Thomas Cook and I have booked additional snowboard carriage (£15). Just had the details through from the travel agent - it's been booked through Neilson and it says that the baggage limit is 15kg and the boardbag can only contain one board and nothing else. Bassically I pack a bag as normal and the boardbag (containing only the board) is treated separatley.

Anytime i've gone skiing in the past the additonal boadbag basically had no weight limit and you could put what ever you want into it.

Has anyone flown with Thomas Cook and had any experience of this? I've never seen a snowboard bag at the airport hat wasn't packed to the gills some I'm a bit dubious about this supposed rule that the Neilson booking info quotes.

Thanks for any help!

Sprogget
2nd Feb 2010, 13:51
Short of opening it, how would they know? Presumably, bindings form part of the board & the gap between them is usually where I stuff boots, gogs, the lot. Flew out on Easyjet a few weeks back & their policy makes no mention of restrictions once the cvarriage has been paid for.

Flew Tcx three years ago & the policy then was much easier. Ah the good old days when you just turned up & threw it through the big bag hole.

Fernanjet
2nd Feb 2010, 16:27
well....basically, the airline has realised that people are avoiding excess baggage charges and carrying more than their allowance, costing the airline more in fuel.

it's logical really and was only a matter of time before they stopped people doing it.

SWBKCB
13th Mar 2010, 06:08
Friends have booked LGW-SFB-LGW on 14/28 August (TCX98K/L) and have been told no IFE - don't all the A.332's have this?

Only thing I can think is that it might either somebody doesn't know/is playing safe or not be op by their own metal (the leased in A.333?)

flyinthesky
13th Mar 2010, 08:29
SWBKCB

Don't know the specifics of your flight in question but if it is to be operated by the A330-300 then this aircraft does not have the seat back screens that all of our other 330's have. It does have IFE but uses the cabin screens to show one film at a time.
By the way, the 330-300 isn't from another operator, it is from our scandinavian arm. It is fully badged as TCX and operated by full TCX crew.
My advice to your friends; forget the IFE, take an ipod and enjoy the onboard bar (sensibly of course):ok: I never bother with IFE on any airline, it's almost always a complete disappointment.

SWBKCB
13th Mar 2010, 09:02
Thanks - thought that might be the case.

Kestrel_Stu
13th Mar 2010, 13:27
Friends have booked LGW-SFB-LGW on 14/28 August (TCX98K/L) and have been told no IFE

Indeed this flight is scheduled to be operated by the TC Scandinavia leased A330-300, hence the lack of seat-back IFE.

GROUNDHOG
13th Mar 2010, 17:35
IFE? well even if it does have it the chances are it probably will not be working properly, flew on G-TCXA two days ago and the IFE was as usual rubbish pretty much the same as it has been on every flight in premium with TCX. Is that REALLY 35 inch seat pitch in premium measured it crudely and there was more space on Flybe in economy!

Egerton Flyer
14th Mar 2010, 12:16
Hi Guys,
I have a sixteen year old niece that is thinking of going to visit relatives in Canada for the first time in July.
She will be travelling alone and the best deal we can get is with Thomas Cook on the 757.
This being her first long haul flight she is a little nervous, mostly about finding her way round the airport, immigration and baggage collection.:confused:
Do Thomas cook have staff on the ground that could assist her if needed?

Thanks,
Flyer.

iain8867
15th Mar 2010, 10:36
I'm not too sure if Thomas Cook have staff available, but if she explained to the check-in staff that she has never flown alone before and is unsure of the airport they would be able to give her suitable directions for the gate, also there would be many staff about in the Departure area, easily identified by the ID hanging around their necks or clipped to their jackets that would, I hope assist her.

fpa2
4th May 2010, 20:30
Anyone knows what type of aircraft do Thomas Cook and Thomson operate from Gatwick to Preveza in Greece (Sundays)?

Flight numbers are TCX 505K and TOM 4770
Thanks

Dazbo5
4th May 2010, 22:10
TOM4770/1 is a 75W. I would assume TCX505K/L is a 752.

Darren

lowcostdolly
5th May 2010, 10:29
I went to Preveza with Thomas Cook on a Sunday last year. We were on a Monarch Airlines A300 for some reason :{

Thank God it was only a 3 hour flight crammed into a flying sardine can with an unpredictable IFE system.

Monarch's CC were great though and the service more than made up for the comfort issues :ok:

Kestrel_Stu
5th May 2010, 16:31
Thomas Cook LGW-PVK on Sundays (TCX505K/L) is an A330-200 all season.

fpa2
6th May 2010, 07:48
Thanks for the replies. Are you sure it's a A330-200? Isn't this a wide body aircraft and would I be right to assume that it would have premium cabin seats at the front?

Torque2
6th May 2010, 09:09
Not necessarily, some of the 330's have been reconfigured to all economy seating.

Kestrel_Stu
6th May 2010, 13:04
Yes it is definately an A330-200, with a 354 seat confiruration, operating a shorthaul line of flying from LGW this summer.

The aircraft still has the premium cabin in the forward section, but these are sold as extra legroom seats with no differentiation of service.

A2QFI
6th May 2010, 19:47
Watch out for the measly 15kg hold allowance and 5kg carry on. If Easy can let you on with anything you can lift into the locker why can't this high priced lot? 5kg carry on is a total nonsense.

jdcg
28th Jun 2010, 08:08
I'm due to fly out with TCX to Canada next month (LGW - YVR). By all accounts they're awful and uncomfortable. Is it as bad as I fear? Any tips for a pleasanter journey? Thanks :rolleyes:

Torque2
28th Jun 2010, 09:59
If you believe they're that bad change your airline. The seating number is dictated by Canadian Affair, not the airline. Try buying extra legroom seating.

GROUNDHOG
28th Jun 2010, 10:29
And you were charged what.....

It really isn't very much to upgrade to premium economy and that is absolutely fine. Not up to VS or BA premium but what do you expect. I have always found the crews great and the service adequate my only real complaint has been the IFE and the armrests that are fixed.

I cannot vouch for back end as I would never put myself through the agony of nearly 10 hours with that little space. My relatives have used it frequently though and are again next month so I believe it is about what you would expect from a normal charter. Tips, take an ipod or similar.

I think you have to be realistic, Canadian Affair prices from the UK are very low and if you are only paying peanuts you have no right to expect more than the basics

If you want a bit more space than pay the very small amount for an extra legroom seat as suggested or go to premium for a few pounds more.

jdcg
29th Jun 2010, 09:29
Thanks for the replies guys. I paid £689 but can't really afford the minimum approx. £200 to upgrade, as it's only a short trip to attend a family wedding. I may go for the seat selection option though.
Thanks again!

GROUNDHOG
29th Jun 2010, 13:03
Have you thought about upgrading inbound only which is when you want the extra space really as it makes sleeping a little easier, I've always found outbound not so bad? Are you travelling on to the Island or staying mainland?

jdcg
29th Jun 2010, 17:16
Thanks Groundhog. I hadn't considered that but it's not a bad idea at all. It all depends how flush I'm feeling!
I'm heading straight to the Bay islands - first to the wedding on Galiano and then on to Vancouver Island itself for 3 nights. First time in Canada so I'm looking forward to it immensely...

Egerton Flyer
9th Jul 2010, 15:17
Hi,
Quick question, do Thomas Cook have assisted passage.
I ask because my brother has just dropped his daughter off at Manchester Airport for a flight to Toronto.
Checked-in and was told to come back in an hour and they would see her on to the plane.
When they returned check-in had closed and the staff at the desk said that TC don't do assisted passage and she would have to go airside alone.
I would have hit the roof if it was me. Bad show Thomas Cook.:=

E.F.

HXdave
9th Jul 2010, 15:25
how old is your neice?

normally TC do not do assisted passage as they will not let anyone under a certain age fly alone (not sure of the age, but it might be either 16 or 12). after all, we are talking about TC here, which is a charter airline, not a scheduled airline!

Egerton Flyer
9th Jul 2010, 16:03
Hi,
She is 16, first flight a bit nervous. They have contacted Canadian Affair 3 times to confirm assisted passage before the flight.
If they had got to check-in and been told no, I could live with that, but to be told to return and they would take her through and then don't, is not good even for a charter airline.

EF

HXdave
10th Jul 2010, 09:59
i wonder if there has been a mix up here regarding exactly what was requested & expected.

you can have 'assisted' passage from the airline which is usually for the less mobile - ie may need someone to push them in a wheelchair, a ride on the golf buggy, platform lift to board aircraft if no airbridge etc. most airlines provide that (or rather the airport!).

as far as what you were expecting (basically for someone to walk through the airport with her until she got on the flight), well apart from the Unaccompanied Minor service which very few charters offer these days, i've never heard of that being an option during my time in the travel industry.

pl2010
11th Jul 2010, 15:25
.......Affair are all hopeless. One of their sister companies once rented us a house complete with a family of rats.

Torque2
11th Jul 2010, 17:06
And how exactly does a 'sister company' of whatever Affair renting an apparent substandard apartment relate to Thomas Cook assisted passage?

From the Canadian Affair booking conditions:

Unaccompanied Minors (unmins): Air Transat carry unmins and this must be advised at the time of booking.
On Thomas Cook Airlines flights the minimum age for unaccompanied travel is 16 years of age. A 16 year old can be responsible for another juvenile (under 16 years old) on a Thomas Cook Airlines flight, as long as written consent is presented at check in by the parent/Guardian.

There is no mention of assisted travel so the situation may have been a request at the time for some assistance getting the young passenger through the terminal but no formal requirement. A less than helpful outcome.

ExXB
12th Jul 2010, 13:31
you can have 'assisted' passage from the airline which is usually for the less mobile - ie may need someone to push them in a wheelchair, a ride on the golf buggy, platform lift to board aircraft if no airbridge etc. most airlines provide that (or rather the airport!).
No, at EU airports it is the responsibility of the airport to provide assistance to passengers with reduced mobility. At Manchester you can find information on this here (http://www.manchesterairport.co.uk/manweb.nsf/Content/AirportAccessibilty). Don't think this would include able bodied 16 year olds but ...

Seems the EU boffins didn't like LCCs reducing their costs too much.

HXdave
12th Jul 2010, 14:59
ExXB,

if you look at my post, you will indeed see that at the very end (in brackets) i did mention it was the airports that offered it, not the actual airline.

Egerton Flyer
13th Jul 2010, 13:47
Hi Guys,
Just to let you know, that in the end a member of Manchester Airport staff at the boarding pass turnstile made sure she got through security ok.
So well done Manchester. :ok:

The point was, that on checking-in they where told to come back in an hour and she would be taken through, only later to be told she would have to go through on her own and not in a nice way either, adding to the stress.

E.F.

Paul Wilson
18th Jul 2010, 21:56
16?

At 16 (admitidly close to 17) I organised and booked tickets for myself LHR - JFK - Pittsburgh - St. Louis. then back St Louis - Pittsburgh - Rochester, NY - JFK - LHR. All on my lonesome.

I do think that perhaps there is a certain lack of self reliance going on here.

Check in - go through security - ask nice security man/woman where to find the right gate - go to it(so that in your mind you know how far it is/where it is) - go back to shops - spend all your holiday money..... OK don't do the last one! Keep an eye on screens - go to gate when it says to.

To be honest I find a bus timetable more confusing than airports.

Don't be frightened of the world, most people are happy to help. If you (or the young lady concerned) have been conditioned to think that every stranger is a potential rapist/thief/con-artist that is all they are ever going to find!

At 16 she she should be well able to negotiate an airport - it is certainly not the airlines responsibility to sort her out (unless large fees have been paid for the privelege)

jetset lady
18th Jul 2010, 23:05
Paul Wilson,

Good for you but not all 16 year olds are the same. Believe it or not, I still don't feel particularly confident transitting unfamiliar airports at the grand old age of 37 and I'm crew!

If you (or the young lady concerned) have been conditioned to think that every stranger is a potential rapist/thief/con-artist that is all they are ever going to find!

Better to be aware than seeing the whole world through rosy tinted spectacles. As she gets older, she will learn to differentiate between real and imagined danger.

At 16 she she should be well able to negotiate an airport - it is certainly not the airlines responsibility to sort her out (unless large fees have been paid for the privelege)

You are right. It isn't the airlines responsibility but if I have read the post correctly, then that isn't the point that Egerton Flyer is making. It's the fact that the check in staff member told the family that escorting her through the airport would be no problem and then set a time for her to come back, presumably knowing that check in would be closed by then. In other words, he/she fobbed her off rather than having to explain that the airline did not offer such a service and possibly risk an unhappy family at the desk. He/she could have at least pointed the family in the direction of the Airport Info desk where she should have been able to get a map and detailed instructions on the airport procedures and where she needed to go. It may have helped to allay her fears somewhat.

GROUNDHOG
17th Aug 2010, 21:03
Confused - I thought Thomas Cook had dropped premium on all of its routes but having just checked the Canadian Affair website it is still on offer even as late as June next year. Anyone know what is happening please?

jubilee
17th Aug 2010, 22:08
Not 100% sure, but I think the premium service is being offered on Air Transat by Canadian Affairs.
Regards,
Jubilee.

Flyboy543
19th Aug 2010, 14:34
Maybe Canadian Affair are willing to charge the pax the extra tax for the use of premium seats? Canadian Affair are chartering the aircraft and they say how they want the aircraft configured - as changed for this season (A330) back to the poor legroom which is a shame. The B757 legroom is fantastic however :ok:

Frankie B
19th Aug 2010, 14:54
Not bad service for a no frills airline. Very pleasant staff. Can't say the same for Air Transat, 'though, as we didn't get food or drink until half way to London.

May I suggest you pre-book your seat? I paid 6 months in advance for my flights this summer, but didn't prebook my seats as I travelled alone & thought I was doing them a favour by being flexible. This almost cost me my return flight as T. Cook was overbooked by 20 pax. Was the very last one onto the plane.

G-BPED
19th Aug 2010, 16:07
Thanks for the replies guys. I paid £689 but can't really afford the minimum approx. £200 to upgrade, as it's only a short trip to attend a family wedding. I may go for the seat selection option though.
Thanks again!

Some BA fares are as low as £680 in WT to YVR in September.

Going charter is not always the best option IMHO.

Regards

G-BPED

jimtherev
19th Aug 2010, 19:19
Went out in Feb Canadian Affair / Thomas Cook - premium; returned BA two weeks later in WT. After that experience, would have gladly paid double to CA/TC if there had been seats. (Olympic-time.)

johno617tonka
10th Oct 2010, 19:33
We're getting set for our trip to Sin City, and have heard a rumour that the airline have taken the IFE from the seat backs?

It's not the end of the world as i have a portable dvd, just don't want to lug it around if it's not actually needed as the IFE has been of a decent standard in the past!

Hopefully someone in cyber world will know the answer to this question?

Cheers

J6T

jpoth06
10th Oct 2010, 20:55
It has only been removed from the short haul fleet, long haul hasn't been affected.

johno617tonka
11th Oct 2010, 15:45
ok cheers for that!

JCBeadle
27th Oct 2010, 08:11
I am booked on Thomas Cook to go to the Dominican Republic to Punta Cana in March 2011 and have booked the premium seating! With hearing all these rumours, yes they are removing them, no they are not , yes they are, no they are not???!! What is going on? Are they going to be keeping them? As I am sure many other people have already booked on Premium for next year as well?

Mr A Tis
27th Oct 2010, 08:35
I contacted Canadian Affair about 3 weeks ago re the premium seats in TCX A332s and they assured me that on their summer 2011 Canadian flights, premium is available. Its a question of who you believe ( ?):confused:

NEastMidlands
27th Oct 2010, 09:04
In terms of actual seats they arent removing them, on TC long haul routes after May 2011 they wont be sold as Premium to avoid the tax problem, so will be extra leg room with no premium benefits, except candian affair which ends next year anyway

JonnyBfs
27th Oct 2010, 12:35
Is it true that the TCX flights on the 757 are pulled for next summer?

Mr @ Spotty M
27th Oct 2010, 15:57
I have just read that TCX are removing the Premium Seat option from outbound flights from May 2011, but will retain it on the inbound leg on which APD is not payable.
l have no idea how they are going to make it work, but a guess might be that you pay £XXX for the return leg and get a free Premium seat on the outbound leg.

goldeneye
27th Oct 2010, 19:53
The Premium Cabin is being sold on the Canadian Flights as its Canadian Affairs flight on Thomas Cook metal. CA sell the flight themselves and set the fares not Cooks.

Mr @ Spotty M
27th Oct 2010, 20:36
I should have made my post more clear, in that l was referring to Thomas Cook flights and not those operated for a third party.

NEastMidlands
28th Oct 2010, 15:07
Its £50 for the return journey with no benefits apart from wider seats and legroom. You have the option to sit anywhere on the outbound flights, the outbound premium cabin is to be sold as extra legroom.

Sonorguy
16th Nov 2010, 22:09
Anyone any idea which a/c type does the Newcastle to Fuerteventura flights?

Agaricus bisporus
2nd Feb 2011, 15:46
Just had the awful experience of trying to book a simple return flight on Thomas Cook's "website". (there should be an "h" between the s and i...)

I asked for dates that correspond with their timetable. It acepted them and I booked the flight only to discover afterwards that their computer system had arbitarily changed the dates of the flight to the following week. Apparently it does this if the flight you asked for is not available but it does not actually tell you its done so. Ticket was expensive, baggage extra. As this is a non refund airline I begin to smell rotten fish...
After 15 minutes holding on a premium rate phone line a human being finally answers and changes the flight to what I'd booked in the first place and confirms it; new details will be e-mailed shortly. Cost £10 to change it. Total 25 mins on line.
Go to book hire car. Fill in all the boxes down to final confirmation, think let's check e-mail first. 2 new e-mails both giving identical details to the incorrectly booked flight that had been confirmed by 2 identical e-mails (why the duplication?) 45 minutes earlier. Oh dear!
Twenty minutes holdng now, during tis time a further e-mail arrives to say the flight booked "is not available" which is odd as their rep has confirmed it half an hour previously. Please call the premium rate line to change/refund. Ha ha.
Rep explains that "someone else must have booked the seat literally just before the previous agent booked it for you" and apparently expected me to swallow that bolleaux, and offers to find a flight from another airport. Comes back 10 mins later to say "although you said you couldn't travel before the 9th we've got a flight on the 8th"! Wow! That's impressive. If they have a social programme to employ morons they really shouldn't put tem on the telephone hotline? Seemed miffed when I pointed out that 8th is actually before 9th. Then said triumphantly there's a flight from Glasgow later in the week. Brilliant! Not really near London, is it? She goes away to check on something else. I look at the website. GLA flies to destination on Wednesdays not the Tuesday she'd mentioned. There is no GLA flight on Tuesdays. I take the booking process for the GLA Weds flight as far as I can and the system accepts it. Agent comes back and I query the Tues/Weds conundrum. No, I'm wrong, there is no flight on Weds. I tell her I'm looking at their website and am actually trying to book it so I'm not imagining it. No. Tuesday is the day she says. Not on your website it isn't! Well, we're updating the website she fibs hopefully, and there are two systems she explains helpfully, obviously (that word!) the Tues flight isn't one you can book on the internet. What about the Weds flight? It doesn't run on Wednesdays she tells me. It doesn't exist. (Except on the internet booking system)

45 minutes all that bs took, and I still can't get to where I need to go.

Clearly TC haven't a fugging clue what they're doing, their computer booking system seems to be deliberately designed to book you incorrectly so they grab a change fee, their timetable doesn't correspond to the one in front of their telephone agents, or when aeroplanes actually fly, they apparently have two different booking systems, one invisible to the agent and the other to the public which contain different flight details, they are capable of booking and confirming you on a flight that turns out later to be "unavailable", and to add insult to injury charge you to hang on for hours on their undermanned telephone system listening to numpties full of the most unimaginative wet excuses ever.

Disgraceful, shoddy and dishonest beyond belief. I shall be using Onur Air/Ryanair in future in preference to this bunch of idiots.

Please, be warned.

Chuchinchow
2nd Feb 2011, 17:48
Please, be warned.

Consider it done, old fungus.

Could it be that your real name is Peter Signature, that you are short, curly-haired, bearded and bespectacled, and that you and your Junoesque wife frequently endure "holidays from hell" after travelling on Fly-Lo airlines?

tb10er
3rd Feb 2011, 05:51
Take a deep breath, and then get on with your life - you had a bad experience from a big company. It happens all the time.

Why don't you raise the case with a "no win, no fee" bunch of solicitors? Now there is a bunch of cowboys....

take-off
4th Feb 2011, 07:57
Is the website down? Been trying for half an hour to log on, Can't get on TC website,airtours????

JEM60
4th Feb 2011, 09:10
Used Thomas Cook many, many times. I have never had a problem with them. Having 1 bad experience is no reason to avoid them like the plague. I suspect that there are far worse firms out there than TC!. I would, however say that I always book in their travel shop, rather than on-line. [a] you are invariably talking to a pretty woman, and [b] Booked a Cruise with them on Tuesday, and they gave me 10% off the internet price!!.:ok:

Parapunter
6th Feb 2011, 07:19
Sorry Tightslot, I apologise unreservedly, it was irresistable to me, but I apologise to Agaricus and the moderators without reservation.:)

Joao da Silva
6th Feb 2011, 07:34
Let's try to summarise AG's beef, removing the invective.

He booked a ticket, without double checking the date before pressing 'continue'
He then receives a 'service' that seems not dissimilar to what many pax experience when trying to make changes with some low cost carriers
I infer from the that he also received a refund, which some may feel makes him rather luckier than others in a similar position with other carriersI think the correct words should 'mea culpa', for everything appears to have flowed from his negligence in failing to double check the dates before making a contract with the carrier.

Mr @ Spotty M
6th Feb 2011, 07:50
Good post "JDS" l was thinking the same with reference to item 1 of your post and was tempted to be the first reply to this thread, but lack of time when l first read it stopped me.
I wonder what it would have cost if he tried to change his ticket with the likes of AF/KLM, BA or LH, as it is the date which is wrong and not an error in the name on the booking.

strikemaster82
6th Feb 2011, 10:02
Sounds like the OP is ranting about his own deficiencies. Check before you click with all these online booking systems.

Measure twice, cut once.

Fernanjet
6th Feb 2011, 12:12
Sounds like its completely your own fault....check the details before you click "confirm" and theres no problem...

ive never had a problem with them.....

then again...i read what im about to book first

Xpert
6th Feb 2011, 14:46
I know its already been said but .... Check the date before clicking continue!.... designed to book the wrong date so you have to pay the change fee.

Unlikely friend.

JetSetJim
10th Feb 2011, 13:34
Hi all - I'm off to Vancouver next week (TCX7K booked thru Canadian Affair) and have been doing much routing around to see if it's worth my while upgrading to premium.

There seem to be conflicting stories on the web - some suggesting economy is a rather spacious 33", but others suggesting Canadian Affair insisted TC removed 8 rows of seats to squeeze in another 50 or so pax!

Does anyone know if this was a temporary thing, a trial, a summer only revison, or a permanent fixture on their A330s to Canada?

Any input would be appreciated to spare me the achey limbs which wont make skiing much fun!!

Thanks all! JSJ :ok:

cockney steve
10th Feb 2011, 13:49
Unfortunately, intentional or otherwise, many "sharp practise" companies DO have websites that have undesirable consequences to their "attempts" to "help" the customer.

If the O.P. was not aware that his inputted data would be arbitrarily substituted with whatever the site-owner was trying to offload, I hardly think it's his fault.

He was, perhaps, somewhat naive to trust the honesty and integrity of the site-operator and it's programmers,but that's another story.

A brief letter to T.C's Company Secretary, outlining the "swindle" he feels has been prepetrated on him and requesting financial redress to be settled promptly and amicably , before resorting to County Court action, should get results.

Don't forget your telephone and postal costs! If they don't cooperate, issue a plaint, it's unlikely to cost more than ~£30,which the loser stands.

These cases are normally not contested ,as the Company's costs would be several times the small amount (I'm guessing under £100) of the claim.

If you feel you have a genuine claim, don't be afraid to hit the big boys....under the small -claims procedures, they CANNOT claim any of their very expensive legal costs.

The lies, misinformation and marketing misinformation should be sent to sales manager and Managing Director, together with copies of the original letter/reply (if any)....make sure there's a clear "CC" list of all adressees on everything......stops the buggers pleading the "i never knew about this" routine.

If they give you grief, just rattle their cage really hard....it's not a popularity contest,-it works.

Sir Herbert Gussett
10th Feb 2011, 16:58
Thomas Cook's a decent airline... the only issue I have is the legroom isn't the best!

Kestrel_Stu
10th Feb 2011, 18:50
JSJ,

The A330s operating on Canadian Affair routes were indeed increased to 354 seats last summer at the request of Canadian Affair, but have all been returned to 323 (or 325) config over the winter - so 33" in economy (35" in premium IIRC).

You should be fine.

JetSetJim
10th Feb 2011, 23:01
Ah bonus Kestrel Stu! Thanks for the swift reply! :ok:

GROUNDHOG
11th Feb 2011, 12:30
I fly this route often, have you thought of paying for extra legroom seats if you do not want to go full premium economy, it is much cheaper? Great to hear premium is back up to 35", last time I flew I vowed never to travel with TCX again as I found the 34" pitch still too tight and uncomfortable, the armrests are fixed down and as a six footer I would rather pay BA the extra for WTP. If you look at the CA website though it says TCX is 34" and Air Transat is 35" so may be worth checking. IFE is poor but the crews are always friendly and service adequate considering what you pay. Only once would I describe it as really good.

I have never flown down the back end but have relatives who are regular flyers who say it is pretty uncomfortable and very cramped, if you are on the tall side seriously think about upgrading. It is also great not having to stand in a long line to check in plus the extra baggage allowance.

On the plus side I have probably made a dozen crossing with TCX and they have always been on time and no problems with either the CA booking process or at either end.

Hope that helps.

occasional
11th Feb 2011, 16:26
I have never come across an airline website which did not have flaws which might lead directly to an incorrect booking. And one of the most dangerous things you can do is to go back and try to check that you have input the correct information.
As I remember it, even the best airline website is capable of changing your airport of origin if you choose the most unfortunate sequence of events.

If it happened to me I would try to work out why the booking was wrong by trying to repeat the sequence of events and then write to the airline explaining why I felt entitled to a refund.
If the letter looked reasonable I would post it. And if the response was not satisfactory the Small Claims Court (in England, not Scotland ) has always worked well for me.

And if you have any doubt about a booking, start all over again.

A2QFI
13th Feb 2011, 19:55
Well I have had a problem every time I have booked, and face to face in a shop On the first occasion I booked sflight for May based on sensible departure times. When I collected my tickets at the end of April there was a letter in the folder, addressed to me and dated January and not sent to me, telling me that my flights had been brought forward 10 hours and inviting me to call at the shop to discuss alternative plans. Too ****** late!

I was recently forced to book with them again as they operate the only direct flight to my destination. All went well until I tried to pay with my TC credit card (valid to 10/11) and it was rejected. I paid by other means and when I got home rang to ask what went on. I was told that the expiry date was irrelevant and the card was deleted from their system, without notification, as I hadn't used it for 12 months.

They are not a Lo-Co airline but they charge extra if you want more than 15kg to check in and only allow 5kg of cabin baggage in something the size of a very small sports bag. The flights may well be punctual and possibly comfortable but the admin that leads up to them is a bit creaky.

SLF-Flyer
26th Feb 2011, 15:15
What seat pitch can be expected this year on the A330 Gatwick to Halifax. Is it worth paying for the upgrade.

GROUNDHOG
26th Feb 2011, 17:25
SLF FLYER - My last flight with TCX the seat pitch was not as advertised so I would say yes without a doubt, premium will be at least 34" and poss 35" but seats are wider so more comfortable. It is more than that though the dedicated check in is so much easier, priority baggage quicker and service is a little more bearable.

SLF-Flyer
26th Feb 2011, 20:08
Thanks Groundhog.

I now see that some web sites say that TC will not offer premium cabin on the way out from the UK due to high level of tax. Yet all of the web sites I have looked at for bookings, all have offerd premium cabin as an ungrade from the UK.

Any one know which is correct, as I am about to book premium.

The truth is out there somewhere.

GROUNDHOG
26th Feb 2011, 20:31
SLF I guessed you were booking through Canadian Affair?

canadave
6th Apr 2011, 19:37
Hi all,

My wife and I booked economy tix to go from Canada (Halifax) to Gatwick, departing May 19 and returning June 2. Recently we thought we might want to consider upgrading out of economy class.

My question is a little complicated I guess. We booked our original tix online with Air Transat (airtransat.ca). However, I see now on their website that the flights are operated codeshared with Thomas Cook--it's a TCX aircraft as far as I'm aware.

Now, I also have heard that due to the APD tax, TCX is phasing out Premium seats--from what I've read, they offer an upgrade for £50 on flights TO the UK, but not from? So we'd only be able to purchase those seats from Halifax to Gatwick, not on the return to Halifax?

But then again I also saw that TCX is removing those Premium seats "in May 2011".

Now I see a bunch of posts talking about Canadian Affair and TCX operating flights for them. In experimentally "booking" the same flights I've already bought through Air Transat (without paying at the end of course), it seems to me that they're the exact same actual flights as are offered by Air Transat. So I'm guessing that Air Transat AND Canadian Affair are selling seats on the same actual aircraft that TCX is flying?

It's all very confusing. All I want to know is--is it possible to buy a Premium seat on the flight I'm on, and who do I call about that? I called Air Transat three weeks ago to inquire (before I found out about the whole "Premium cabin going away on TCX" issue), and they quoted me $150 CAD, per person, each way, to upgrade my ticket. That is about $50 more than £50 would be. So I don't know if Air Transat is trying to gouge me, or whether I can call Thomas Cook instead, or what?? :(

TANGO100
6th Apr 2011, 20:12
Hi I need a little help
Can someone give me a clue to how much it costs to add hold baggage to a Thomas Cook flight (flythomascook), the bag wasn't added at the time of booking and also give me a link or contact to add this on
Cheers

CabinCrewe
6th Apr 2011, 20:26
Aaah the beauty of google searches....
fly thomas cook | Book your in-flight meals (http://book.flythomascook.com/charges-and-fees/)

david1994
6th Apr 2011, 20:28
Hi I need a little help
Can someone give me a clue to how much it costs to add hold baggage to a Thomas Cook flight (flythomascook), the bag wasn't added at the time of booking and also give me a link or contact to add this on
Cheers

Short Haul - 20KG is £12 per flight so £24 for a return flight.
Long Haul - 20KG is £19.00 per flight so £38.00 for a return flight.

To add this on visit: https://book.flythomascook.com/skylights/cgi-bin/skylights.cgi

True Blue
17th Apr 2011, 18:16
Hi all

we are flying out to turkey next week with BA and pegasus via Instanbul. We are returning from Bodrum on Tcx back to the UK. I have been trying to enter API for TCX, but the site keeps coming back with a message "internal error". On reading their site, I am unsure if we actually need to enter this, bearing in mind we are returning to the UK with them. We hold UK passports. Does anyone know for sure whether we need to or not? I have not had any emails from TCX telling me this info is still outstanding, I assume if it was i would have had some emails by now.

Thanks

A2QFI
17th Apr 2011, 18:58
This link opens OK but I don't know if it is what you need?

https://managemyflight.thomascookairlines.co.uk/thomascookuk/login

True Blue
17th Apr 2011, 19:12
I have been in that part of the site and entered the details, it is when you get to the end of the process that the error message comes back.

Thanks

A2QFI
17th Apr 2011, 19:19
Sorry! I obviously I didn't go as far as to put in info for a flight I wasn't going on! Suggest you make a print out of the error message page and take it with you. I think you can do API at the airport but allow time for it. Is it even needed for flight TO the UK? I am not sure

ohitsmonday
17th Apr 2011, 22:23
Theoretically all flights to/from the UK require transmittal of eborders data, but the responsibility lies with the carrier not the individual.
TC may capture the required data at check-in at BJV, but if they don't it will not impede your entry into the UK (assuming you have valid documentation), so don't worry and enjoy your holiday.

old fart
28th Apr 2011, 20:17
Hi folks,
Since I retired from flying recently, we have joined the normal world of the SLF.
For the first time, we are now going on a holiday with Thomas Cook, and discovered that we have to pay if we want to guarantee that we can sit together.
Can someone please advise whether this is more a scare tactic or actually necessary?
Many thanks
OF

750XL
28th Apr 2011, 20:20
If you're one of the first to check in then you shouldn't have much of a problem.

Espada III
29th Apr 2011, 07:31
I too think it is a scare tactic but it has its uses.

Because of the condition of one of our children we like to sit as a family of five across several rows with several aisle seats. On recent flights we have had seats like 12C, 12D, 13C, 13D, 13E. Makes for a comfortable flight and you might get to have an interesting conversation with someone different!

However my experience with Lufthansa when they put my 6yo daughter on her own, can limit your consideration of choosing to sit where they put you.

Torque2
29th Apr 2011, 07:55
Not scare tactics at all if you think about the process required.

There are many travelling who will have selected their seats (paid for of course) and then there are those passengers with reduced mobility who have to be allocated seats which then leaves us with the remainder to sort out.

There are a finite number of seats left and an intricate pattern left with which to place the remaining passengers. As has been stated previously, if you are at the front of the queue at check-in then it is more likely that you will get seats together, this includes sitting across an aisle pair of seats.

As the check-in progresses the seats remaining become more varied and although the check-in staff do have experience and training in allocating the seating (although you may sometimes find that hard to believe) it gets to a point when the last of the passengers arrive in a group travelling together and expect to have seats together on the aircraft find that it isn't going to happen. This is especially true for the harassed family with small children running late.

If you really want to sit together with no uncertainty then it would be prudent to pay up and select the seats that you want.:ok:

Espada III
29th Apr 2011, 07:57
So what happened to pre-flight allocation of seats? Surely an airline must take account of groups, families etc etc?

Torque2
29th Apr 2011, 08:16
Always a 'so what' question. Factor it in and make your own answer.

If you know better let us all know.

It won't make any difference to whether or not you wish to pay to be seated together.

AlpineSkier
29th Apr 2011, 11:59
Surely an airline must take account of groups, families etc etc?

Espada 3

Are you trying to prove something ? You already have your own experience of that , fully detailed, in the thread you started on April 13 th.

Globaliser
29th Apr 2011, 13:57
So what happened to pre-flight allocation of seats? Surely an airline must take account of groups, families etc etc?As you've been told in the other thread, it depends on the airline. Some do, but some don't. Find out what you actually need to do to sit together, and don't assume anything in advance.

old fart
30th Apr 2011, 18:30
Thanks folks
Guess I just have to bite the bullet and get up real early,
Cheers

Saintsman
2nd May 2011, 20:50
For a short haul flight, it's not the end of the world if you can't sit together for a couple of hours....

bjh123
3rd May 2011, 09:20
"For a short haul flight, it's not the end of the world if you can't sit together for a couple of hours...."

You might be happy for a small child to sit with strangers for a couple of hours but other parents and your child might not be so keen. The facility exists for airlines not to be money grabbing and mixing up sitting together out of necessity and sitting together out of choice.

Skipness One Echo
3rd May 2011, 10:28
OR, and it's just a thought, NOT take a young child abroad on holiday. Kids get really stressed travelleing at the best of times and as much as they have fun it's an emotional rollercoaster for everyone.

I have NO sympathy for people who fly with babies either as it seems to me they put the baby through a lot just so they can go on holiday.

TSR2
3rd May 2011, 10:56
OR, and it's just a thought, NOT take a young child abroad on holiday. Kids get really stressed travelleing at the best of times and as much as they have fun it's an emotional rollercoaster for everyone.

And not a good thought at that.

lowcostdolly
3rd May 2011, 13:49
You don't mention who the "we" is in your OP?

If you are with just Mr/Mrs old fart early check in should suffice without the need to pay.

If there are a large group of adults who really want to sit together then I would suggrest you pay up to guarentee this.

If you are travelling with little farts they are your ticket to a blissful flight of sitting next to them free of charge.......;)

Taken from www.caa.co.uk (http://www.caa.co.uk)

"CAA guidlines ask airlines to develope systems for the seat allocation of family groups particularly when the family group includes children........"

It goes onto state the rationale and what should apply on a wide and narrow bodied aircraft.

Admittedly they are "guidlines" but it is a foolish UK registered airline whose cabin crew and ground staff will ignore this particularly if the pax has done their research beforehand and will quote.

Hope this helps :)

spaceman18
8th May 2011, 21:09
Thomas Cook wont allow a child to be sat on their own. Theres a multitude of reasons, and possibly laws that wouldnt allow it.
Even if the check in staff do this, the cabin should rectify once on board.

ThatRedHatGirl
8th May 2011, 23:13
Typical, leave it up to the cabin.

I ahve better things to do with my time than to rearrange families sitting apart (mostly because they turned up late than anything else) when a short word from the responsible adult at check-in or the gate (PRIOR to boarding) will do far more to help your case then waiting for the CC to do it onboard.

If ground staff tell you they can't do anything & the cabin crew can, DON'T BELIEVE THEM!!! They are the ones with the seat map and ability to re-issue boarding cards. We can't do it without delaying the boarding and therefore the flight. You are far more likely to get it sorted before boarding, lots of crew just chuck it in the too hard basket once pax are onboard. Of course we do what we can, especially where kids are concerned, but after a few flights of nearly EVERYONE wanting to change seats, it does get frustrating and it starts the whole thing off on a wrong note.

If you can sort it out with the people around you, even better. Just remember some airlines need you to stay in allocated seats prior to take off.

Dropline
9th May 2011, 11:37
Ground staff can't always help. Check in agents are often under strict instructions from airlines NOT to move passengers that have pre booked and paid for seats together. In the summer a large percentage of charter passengers pre book their seats, which mean check in agents are left with only a few seats to play with. The family of four, turning up last to check in for a full flight, will simply have to be given the last four seats on the aeroplane, wherever these may be. Same family of four then turn up late to the gate, and expect other passengers to be moved to accomodate them. Understandably people who have paid for their seats are usually reluctant to move. Very often the majority of passengers will already be on board so cannot be asked to move seats by the ground staff. The only option then is to send passengers on board to see the crew. The crew have one advantage over us - they have the option of offering enticements such as free drinks to passengers who offer to move. Ground staff can't do that.

Even pre seating whole flights causes problems - someone who has been presat at the back wants to sit near the front, someone given a window wants an aisle, and groups of people travelling together who have not booked together want to sit together, but have been sat apart because they were under different bookings. They then complain they have been presat in seats they didn't want. You can't win!

If you want to sit together, bite the bullet and pay up, or make sure you are the first in line at check in. Why should people who have booked and paid or turned up early be expected to give up their seats for people who haven't?

EXS258
15th Aug 2011, 12:12
Just booked my first long haul holiday to Mexico with Thomas Cook recently, quite anxious about what i've read about their A330s being cramped, the IFE not working and the service not being that good. Understandably this is a charter flight and to be honest im not a fussy person, as long as it gets me from A to B in relative comfort and there's something to occupy me for the 10+ hours im happy!

can anyone share personal experiences?

jack_essex
23rd Aug 2011, 09:46
I flew with TCX A330 to Goa India this year and thought it was perfectly fine for a 9ish hour flight. Leg room fine, and I am 6ft. The IFE was acceptable for the flight duration, although not on demand.

GROUNDHOG
23rd Aug 2011, 12:59
Not sure if they still offer it but would recommend upgrading to premium for a flight of that sector length.All depends on your definition of acceptable.

jeanyqua
24th Aug 2011, 20:42
SeatGuru Seat Map Monarch Airlines Airbus A330-200 (332) (http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Monarch_Airlines/Monarch_Airlines_Airbus_A330-200.php)
Book rows 2.,,,through to 6.
We flew A330 to lanzarote,although it was monarch,and an extra legroom seat we had booked,we deliberately chose the front section,as it is quieter.

rob39
25th Aug 2011, 12:08
Flying TCX 13/11/11 GLA-TFS.Taking the grand kid first flight and wanting to know what is the best window seat on TCX typical cattle class.Usually this flight is on a 757 200

birdstrike
25th Aug 2011, 20:25
If you go to Thomas Cook Airlines - Support Home Page (http://www.thomascookairlines.co.uk) and follow the various links to ''booking your seat'' you will see a diagram of the seating plan. This will ensure that you avoid an over-wing seat.

Personally, I would sit on LH side going south, (and vv), this will give you the chance to see the French and Moroccan coasts rather than the wide expanses of the Atlantic.

Have a great time.

sunshine79
25th Aug 2011, 21:19
There is no way of saying exactly which seats have full windows (something that customers ask us all the time) but from about row 17 to 26(ish) are over the wing. When you book your seats on the website, it will advise you if its over the wing and if the seat dosen't recline.

jabird
25th Aug 2011, 21:51
birdstrike,

Sound advice, although I think I'd rather be on RHS for a view of Teide on approach to TFS - assuming a straight in approach. I think regulars would know which runway is used most often at each airport - never found a website which publishes this though, would be very useful to know the prevailing winds.

Don't forget the view in and out of GLA too, should get a second or two before you hit the clouds:rolleyes:

GrahamK
26th Aug 2011, 06:07
jabird

Most of the times which I've flown into TFS, landing has been on runway 8, so the LHS would be better for viewing Teide.

ericlday
26th Aug 2011, 07:25
Graham K...spot on. Not sure of percentage but 08 in use most of the time.
Rob39....enjoy Tenerife there is plenty to see on the small island.

macdo
26th Aug 2011, 07:32
GLA - TFS is almost always a TANGO (oceanic) route going out to Shannon turning south and seeing nowt (apart from Funchal on a good day) till you let down directly north of the island. After that the route normally takes you down the sea gap between Tenerife and La Gomera followed by vectors to land on 08. Therefore, a left hand seat outbound, on a good day, will give you nice views of Mt Teide and the west coast resorts. The opposite will be true if you are landing on 26, but this is rare. I hope you enjoy your flight and holiday, our cabin crew do their best to make cattle class bearable and if you smile at them, likely as not, they will not treat you like cattle.

Danny_R
26th Aug 2011, 14:57
I agree, on the majority of my TFS trips over the past few years it has been 08 in use, can only ever recall it being 26 once out of a good 30-40 flights. As Macdo said, get a LHS and you'll get a view of the Island as you approach, you will see the cliffs of Los Gigantes followed by the resorts like Las Americas on the coast before turning to line up.

Enjoy your holiday, lovely Island with plenty to do and see! I highly recommend Siam Park, has to be one of the best waterparks on the planet!

A2QFI
31st Aug 2011, 09:36
Does anyone know why T Cook only allow 5kg of hand luggage in something the size of a small case when others give 10kg and EZY give you any weight (subject to dimension limits) so long as you can get it into the overhead locker yourself? It can't be a load/balance problem as they all fly the same aircraft types, broadly speaking. I like to travel hand luggage only but 5kgs doesn't work for me!

A2QFI
31st Aug 2011, 10:24
Thanks for the statement of the obvious! The question was not how do I get more than 5kg - it was why will one airline give 5kg, others 10kg and others more than that? Ezy are cheaper than TC on fares but don't fly to where I want to go.

PAXboy
31st Aug 2011, 10:29
Money.

You want more than 5Kg = you pay them more money.

Simples. :p

VS-LHRCSA
31st Aug 2011, 12:17
It could be something to do with seating density. With more seats there would be more bags that have to fit in the existing space. Perhaps it is something to do with that.

A2QFI
2nd Sep 2011, 08:01
Paxboy - please re-read my post #142!

TightSlot
2nd Sep 2011, 09:49
Does there need to be a reason? Maybe it just is, that's why. That may just be the TC Business model, and for many people, it appears to work. If it doesn't work for you, there is always the option to exercise your ultimate right as a consumer to choose an alternative provider.

Spitfire boy
2nd Sep 2011, 10:32
Much of the infrastructure to support this will be housed in Lufthansa's new Tier 3 datacentre in Welwyn, Hertfordshire, UK.

Thomas Cook servers take a trip - 01 Sep 2011 - Computing News (http://www.computing.co.uk/ctg/news/2105950/thomas-cook-servers-trip#ixzz1Wn0sqZ3F)

rob39
2nd Sep 2011, 11:13
I've never had a good landing at Glasgow, Plane constantly in turbulence going up and down and heavy landings and yes rain.