PDA

View Full Version : Flight simulator training

pilotwings1982
15th Aug 2009, 18:16
Just curious to find out what pilots are looking for in a flight simulator training centre and if there are any particular companies that you would recommend.

mutt
15th Aug 2009, 19:22
1: Do they have the right simulator
2: Is their training certified by the required authority, FAA or JAA etc.
3: Cost
4: Location
5: Suitable training slots
6: Do they provide crew lounge with free biccies.......

Mutt

ZFT
15th Aug 2009, 20:54
As the question was what pilots were looking for. My offerings would be:-

1.Location
2.Hotel
3.Local costs
4.Day slots availability
5.Are the girls pretty
6.Do they provide crew lounge with free biccies.......

However, of course the DFO/CP tends look for:-

1.Suitability of training equipment
a.Certification standard
b.Fidelity with aircraft operated
c.Availability
d.Reliability
e.Suitability of visual databases
2.Cost
a.Training
b.Hotels, transport, travel
3.Location
4.Crew security

Northbeach
16th Aug 2009, 00:45
I have used four in my career. USAir’s training facility in Pittsburg Pennsylvania, SimuFlight in Dallas Texas, FlightSafety International (several training centers USA & Canada) and my own airline’s training facility. Training involved F-27, IA-1124, IA-1125, Challenger, DC-9, and Boeing 737.

The quality of the instruction is most important followed by the quality of the simulators. In my opinion ground school taught by motivated skilled instructors is far superior to computer based system training. Unfortunately the direction of training seems to be headed away from the instructor led discussions to self paced computer based training. I don’t like it, but I’m not going to change the direction the industry is going.

The quality of the training facility, hotel accommodations and meal options are less important but still considerations. A good school with lousy accommodations; nowhere to eat and nothing to do for miles around will loose out to an ok school with great accommodations. The longer the training program the more important the accommodations, fitness, recreation and eating options become.

At FlightSafety and SimuFlight you are treated much more like a customer. “You have a question about that system sir; let’s see if I can explain it better.” “We are here to help you in any way we can”. And their simulators are state of the art. Airline based training can be more along the lines of: “Were not here to hold your hands, this is the school of fear, intimidation and ridicule”. It just depends on the program and personnel. A student’s preparation, demeanor, attitude and effort have a huge impact on how that student is received and treated.

If I had to pick one it would be FlightSafety International. They do training for a living and have it figured out. (No I do not work for them, nor do I have any commercial interest in the company).

Respectfully,

411A
16th Aug 2009, 01:10
Airline based training can be more along the lines of: “Were not here to hold your hands, this is the school of fear, intimidation and ridicule”.

Yes, some are...and this sort of attitude needs to be flushed down the loo at the earliest opportunity.
The above describes the way it was done many years ago at most airlines...and this attitude has a life of it's own....:eek:

mutt
16th Aug 2009, 07:33
“Were not here to hold your hands, this is the school of fear, intimidation and ridicule”

Unfortunately in some part of the world, its considered the norm.... Nothing changed since your time 411A....

And worst thing is that with the school of fear, intimidation and ridicule.... there are no biccies..

Mutt

Northbeach
16th Aug 2009, 15:35
mutt,

................. It's been too long since I have been in the Middle East. What in the world are biccies? Or perhaps this is a British or European thing, either way I am without understanding.

Northbeach

mutt
16th Aug 2009, 16:33
Northbeach, I apologize, we had another thread going about the CAE training center in dubai...

http://www.pprune.org/middle-east/384842-ek-simulator-no-more-chocolate-decent-food-cae.html

Thats why i put the importance on the "Biccies"...biscuits........

Mutt

Northbeach
16th Aug 2009, 20:48
mutt,

Ah, the light is on, now I understand. Thank you.