PDA

View Full Version : Batavia Air

klcdenver
13th Aug 2009, 11:19
I have been offered a job here as pilot. Can anyone tell what to expect if I accept the offer. They are also supplying apartment but did not elaborate on it. Any info would be appreciated.

klcdenver
14th Aug 2009, 12:09
Cannot believe no one has any comments on Batavia Air.

Gayviators
14th Aug 2009, 14:45
Hi...

Have not got any information on them, though am curious as to whether you have been offered a position as captain or FO, as the word has been that recruitment of non-nationals was no-go in Indo.

This said, I have heard of Lion starting to recruit foreigners as of late.

Would appreciate any more info on the situation, even recruitment details via PM (if you like). :ok:

Massey058
14th Aug 2009, 15:49
Batavia are supposed to be getting A330's which they were talking about running on routes like JKT-MES and JKT-SUB in addition to Jeddah flights. Their current Airbii do seem a little tired but they seem to keep themselves out of trouble.

The whole process is rather convoluted and circuitous but there are foreigners around the traps. There is the Lion CAE contract but aside from that there are foreign guys in Mandala and Express and more in lowly turboprops.

The reality is with the continued expansion happening in the industry here they are going to need to take on more foreigners. There aren't enough flight schools to churn out the required numbers and even if there was safety would really take a dive.

BoeingDriverUSA
15th Aug 2009, 09:13
I applied to Batavia Air from their own website. Never got an answer. How did you contact Batavia Air people?

Rusty Bullet Hole
15th Aug 2009, 20:59
What did you think of the contract offer klc?

CFM_56
27th Aug 2009, 10:46
Hi all

I have been offered a Captain slot on the B737 at Batavia Air. Any current pilot flying for Batavia who could give us an insight on the company?

Regards to all

7Q Off
27th Aug 2009, 15:58
With this email, Batavia Air would like to propose job opportunity to
you as Captain B737 Series, with condition belows :

* Salary $ 4,000.00 nett with 100 flight hours per month.
* Accomodation (apartment).
* Transportation (pick-up delivery during in the performance of flight
duty).
* For 1 (one) year not more than 1,000 flight hours in total.

To low for a Captain. 6,5 to 7 k minimum just to start to talk.

Storpikk
28th Aug 2009, 11:54
F/O conditions are the same and a very meager 2000$ a month......

Hogger60
28th Aug 2009, 13:36
According to what I have read, they can only pay expats the equivalent of what they pay locals. Only under this condition will the gov't allow them to bring in foreign pilots, so either they raise all pilots salaries (the preferable option, but for a low cost carrier, this is not going to happen), or they try to attact expats for a year at a time with bottom dollar wages, and in this economy (especially in the aviation community where the jobs are few and far between), they will be able to find rent-a-pilots to fill the seats.

Only a plethora of jobs opening up in the rest of the world will change the supply and demand curve back to the pilots' favor. As long as there is a glut of pilots, and there is a big glut right now, there will be people willing and able to fly for what the Batavia's of the world are willing to pay.

That said, if you have the qualifications, and need to build time instead of sitting home and looking for a job that you may or may not find, this may turn out to be an adventure worth the pain of low pay for year.

7Q Off
28th Aug 2009, 15:02
yes, you can allways find pilots.Thats true. There is always someone jobless on the market or someone just retired with a pension there. But 4000 us for an expat captain is too low even to atract Captains from the third world. I live in the third world so I know what I mean. 6 to 7 k will do a better job.

For an expat FO that need build up time and have some adventure in a exotic place is a good option. A couple of years will get you almost 2 k in jet and you will be ready to move to a better place.

manflex69
30th Aug 2009, 02:49
Hi guys...

As I know...Indonesian Gov not accept pilots who doesn't have Instructor qualification . That's only for bridging type of aircraft.

If you want to know about living in Indonesia..it's much like the others big city...

You can find anything here...

:ok:

Storpikk
31st Aug 2009, 00:51
Hi manflex,

Quick question, the instructor requirement that you mention, does this also apply to foreign first officers or just captains?.

manflex69
31st Aug 2009, 05:34
just captain..

arba
31st Aug 2009, 08:19
@storpikk

under Part 121, must hold airman certificate and rating required to serve
as a PIC .. no ?

(121.414.b.1)

CFM_56
31st Aug 2009, 09:32
Hi All

When you have such pertinent information like Manflex69 had..
"Indonesian Gov not accept pilots who doesn't have Instructor qualification . That's only for bridging type of aircraft."
It would be great if you could tell us where did you get the information so the info is no longer a rumor and becomes a fact.

manflex69, thanks for the info by the way, but tell us where that information came from.:ok:

Regards

Hogger60
31st Aug 2009, 21:43
Yes, as I have read through all of the DGCA (especially part 121 & part 61) regulations, and can no where find any reference to the requirement that a captain (foreign or Indonesian) be required to be a CFI, could you please cite your source for this?

Thanks ahead of time for the information.

Storpikk
1st Sep 2009, 01:15
Any copilots having some success getting on with this company?.

Seems like they are expecting time on type. Hard to know exactly what they are looking for since their ad on climbto350 was very non-descriptive.

:}:}:}

7Q Off
1st Sep 2009, 01:24
Yes, the ad on climb with those req looks ridiculous for 2000 USD.

7Q Off
1st Sep 2009, 02:42
there will allways be people doing it that money. But not to many. :ugh:

Metro man
2nd Sep 2009, 13:20
Batavia are supposed to be getting A330's which they were talking about running on routes like JKT-MES and JKT-SUB in addition to Jeddah flights.

Confirmed, taxied past a BATAVIA A330 at JKT this evening.

in FACT is
5th Sep 2009, 06:02
please think ahead than go ahead:), what are the chance you get accepted by FlyDubai?? now day's remember about supply and demand, even with Oman Air the chance to get accepted is narrow at the moment:\, it was very easy 2-3 years before Oman Air will accept anything can fly no matter what your experience:ugh:, but now they just can fail you during interview no matter how good your skill are:ugh:, and they likes to fail pilot as a matter a proudness, and Fly Dubai the chance also not too good :cool:but they can fail you after many reason they are more professional base in their airline experience (emirates);)

CFM_56
6th Sep 2009, 08:34
Hi All

Before you start getting your calculators out to figure how much much you might make at Flydubai, you need to pass the Emirates Airlines assessment, which has no directive and obviously when you fail, they don't tell you in what area you messed up.

Also, Flydubai may be good if you don't mind 50C temperature "every-single-day"!!

Have fun:ok:

aviatorhi
23rd Sep 2009, 05:11
So what are the captain minimums?

captseth
23rd Sep 2009, 20:12
This one has me really scratching my head. $4,000mo for a Captain? Are things really that bad? I realize there are Indonesian regulations to deal with, but things like that can change based on need.

Boomerang1
25th Sep 2009, 03:44
I suggest that everyone that is interested in this job send in a CV with a statement that when the airline is offering a pay package equal to the experience required, that you will then submit the additional documents. If everyone that needed a job did this, then the operator would get the message. I set my Captain minimum pay at $8500.

CFM_56
28th Sep 2009, 19:35
Boomerang

Skymark in Japan is hiring Captains and the pay meet your needs. Send your application and let us know how it went.

Cheers:ok:

iaatuuuu
29th Sep 2009, 08:05
Hi all,

i have also an offer as B737 FO. Anyone on that fleet?
Also someone has done the screening? How many expat are flying there?
Any info i appreciate.....
Thank you.

CFM_56
3rd Oct 2009, 02:37
iaatuuuu (http://www.pprune.org/members/311076-iaatuuuu) . I am heading out to Jakarta on Oct 12th for the interview and sim check as Captain. Have you accepted the FO position?

Cheers

manflex69
3rd Oct 2009, 12:41
Hi guys..

I've got contact with 1 of the pilot who get an offering.
He got semi furnished apartment and $4000. That's it..

Be careful with the contracts.
I've many friends there who talk about how bad their maintenance are...

specially boeing..:=

Hogger60
4th Oct 2009, 13:53
Hey Manflex, is this the same contact who gave you the great & accurate information that you posted before?

"Hi guys...

As I know...Indonesian Gov not accept pilots who doesn't have Instructor qualification . That's only for bridging type of aircraft."

I can personally attest that this is not the case. The pay amount is accurate, but the apartments are actually fully furnished. If anyone wants to know the real scoop, just PM me for any information.

Hogger

manflex69
5th Oct 2009, 14:37
Hi all...

I'm working with local airline in Indonesia.
My airline has 3 foreign pilots from abroad, their jobs are to help our local instructors.

I've a friend from Indonesian DGCA, and he told me, that for protect the local pilots , only pilots who has "instructor qualification" can works in Indonesia.

But I've a friend too who told me, that batavia is going to US, to find pilots for their aircraft.( with some pilots job fair)
The facts are, Indonesia right now need pilots very bad, but........we can only pays very low. ( Air Asia Indonesia rise their pilot salary up to $7000/month, but you 've to fly 90 hours). that's take home pay.

If Indonesian DGCA change their policy, it's good for us the local pilots, cause can drag the salary up to regional bases .( hope for that).

Best regards from Indonesia..

Manflex69:ok:

moon_towers
8th Oct 2009, 01:44
The basic actually for the local even around 3000 and the flying hours around 7 dollars/hour!!!

The DMI "some list" each aircraft and with repetitive extension.

6 landing acceptable by the company.

Hoping help

Good luck dude

m_t:ugh:

manflex69
8th Oct 2009, 05:40
You're absolutely correct:ok:
Please..please read your contract carefully guys...:8

Cruiseclimb
10th Oct 2009, 04:18
A friend of mine was there for a very short time and left due to bad living conditions, a rediculous work schedule, and unsafe airplanes. The pay for a Capt is $4,000, FO is $2,000 to fly a min of 100 hours per month!! He said the apartment had several pilots living in it, was very run down and dirty, and was located in a very bad part of Jakarta. Also Air Batavia was listed a year or two ago as one of the top six most unsafe airlines in the region, but they may be trying to change that. They have had several instances in the last couple of months of maintenance problems. They give the passengers a cup of water and bread on the flight... better than a little bag of peanuts I guess.

If you have the option to go somewhere else... you may want to consider it. From what I was told, they are very bad at the moment. You will make more instructing or flying as a copilot in a regional.

a section of wing comes off in flight ???
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599...-23109,00.html

a plane gets lost and strays over 300 km?
Safety Board to investigate Batavia Air's strayed plane | The Jakarta Post (http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2009/02/28/safety-board-investigate-batavia-air039s-strayed-plane.html)

Grinding sounds coming out of the engine, but they launch anyway?
Batavia Air jet fails takeoff | The Jakarta Post (http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2008/11/07/batavia-air-jet-fails-takeoff.html)

Just an engine failure..
145 Batavia Air Passengers Safe After In-Flight Engine Failure - The Jakarta Globe (http://thejakartaglobe.com/justAdded/145-batavia-air-passengers-safe-after-in-flight-engine-failure/271281)

I like this one..
http://www.travelmole.com/stories/1127620.php

Hogger60
11th Oct 2009, 05:28
I would like to present a more accurate, first-hand view of what I have seen at Batavia. I can't speak for what Climbcruise's and manflex69's contacts may have gone through in the past, but the situation may have changed, and I would like to tell you what I have seen.

First (and foremost on most everyone's mind) - Yes the pay is very low, there are no two ways about it. And if you are an FO, you can probably make the same or slightly more money flying the right seat of a regional carrier elsewhere (although 2000usd net is more than you will make at say Colgan). I wish it were higher, but with the pilot job market the way it is right now (and it is the worst I have ever seen in 25+ years in the industry), this job is better than sitting at home watching the bills pile up, wondering if you will have to end up driving a delivery van rather than an airplane to keep from finding yourself on the street. This is a temporary gig for the expats (a year at a time contract), so if you want a career at a regional, or more experience instructing, please stay where you are.

Second - This is an LCC. Think Ryan air, Value Jet (er, Air Tran), Air Asia or Spirit Air. You get what you pay for (and one of the big reasons that the pay for pilots is so low). Single class of service, you will not be served anything more than a snack and beverage service, but when was the last time you rode economy in the US, where you got more than a soft drink and a bag of peanuts without paying for it? I know from experience that this is the rule, not the exceptinon in the US right now. But this is really a moot point anyway for those of us sitting in the pointy end of the jet. The people in the back know it is bare bones and when they are paying $38 usd for a one-way 1 hr flight to Yogjakarta, they don't complain about not being fed.

Third - The apartments are in a very safe area with tons of security, small, but clean and each pilot has his OWN apartment. The flight attendants share apartments in the same complex, but the building is only about three or four years old, and while it is a 30min-1hr (depending upon the traffic in Jakarta, which is horrific) cab ride from downtown, it is only about 15 mins from the airport. There are stores and small restaurants all within walking distance. They may not be the same kind of apartment you might be provided with as an expat in the UAE or other places in the Middle East, but they are above average for this part of the world. Are there some things that I would like to have here, like a good Internet connection? Yes, of course, but having lived in the 3rd world for a number of years, take my word for it when I say that this is more than adequate.

Fourth - The pilots are flying close to the max of 110 hrs each month, mostly due to the fact they are short of pilots, which is the reason the company got permission from the Indonesian government to bring in expat pilots in the first place on a large scale for something other than simply being instructors. Yes you will be flying almost every day, but if you like to fly, want to fly, then you will not be sitting around here. The workload will drop as more pilots come online, but like many of the LCC's in the US, you will be flying close to your max allowable time each month.

Finally - The MX issue. I haven't experienced any problems with mx, firsthand yet, and I am not saying there are none, but every carrier I have ever worked for has had issues of some kind with mx (Eastern Airlines comes to mind). But engine failures happen all over, I will cite a few examples to illustrate:

SQ A380 last week,
AA 767 Spring 2009
US A320 Spring 2009
AA MD80 Aug 2009
US Dash 8 Aug 2008

These are just a few examples with some quick research. Does this mean the mx at these airlines is shoddy? Maybe, but AA & Singapore for sure have the reputation, at least, of having very good mx. Batavia has had problems in the past (the unsafe report was early in 2007), and may still have problems, but they have greatly improved that side of the house. If I find any concerted effort to try and put an unsafe aircraft under my seat, I just will not take it. And if I see a regular problem I will not continue working there, and will let everyone know this.

I do not post this as a put-down to any other poster, I simply want to try and keep the postings as accurate as possible with what the CURRENT situation is here, so that if you are considering taking the job, you can do it being as informed as possible. Flying at Batavia will definately not be for everyone. Living in Indonesia can be a big culture shock to anyone who hasn't lived outside of the US or EU, but the people are friendly, the cost of living is extremely low, and you will be flying jets...a lot. This may be too much for some people, but just what others are looking for.

As always, I will do my best to answer individual questions anyone might have, so just ping me and be patient as I will try and get back to everyone.

Check Six,

Hogger

manflex69
11th Oct 2009, 20:06
Hi hogger60,

I'm glad if Batavia is change. Many complaint from my friends who work there.Especially about their maintenance.

If Batavia improve their maintenance, that's a good news.
I don't know what type of aircraft are you flying there, I just call my friend yesterday who work there ( he fly boeing 737 - 200 ), many 737-200 batavia's are with not good conditions. If they're refuse to fly it, they're dealing with the owner. I don't know this is right or wrong, cause I'm not worked there.
Perhaps you can clarify this to us, so our friends who wants to work there clearly now what happened INSIDE Batavia.

Thanks in advanced..

Regards..Manflex69:ok:

Cruiseclimb
12th Oct 2009, 11:01
My friend who left also said he was threatened with his job if he didn't fly an aircraft that had an MEL item that was not fixed. The aircraft was cleared for VFR flight.. so he was told take it or leave. He is still waiting to get paid for a month of work.. Also, he said he was promised his own apartment, but never received it.. I am curious about Batavia as well, but don't want to quit a good job to go to Jakarta and be with a unsafe and bad run company...

Storpikk
12th Oct 2009, 13:11
Maybe better if your friend post things here, other than second, third party hearsay.
I think as Hogger points out, what you saying is not entirely correct. Hogger is the man on the inside now and able to reflect on the current situation there.

:ok::ok:

Cruiseclimb
13th Oct 2009, 10:01
Not intended to offend anyone here.... but Storpikk, if you have something to add to the forum regarding the airline itself... please do so. Newspaper articles about parts of wings falling off, planes getting lost, engines failing in flight, and angry passengers storming onto another plane aren't what I'd call.... second and third party hearsay.....

Klcdenver asked if anyone knew anything about this company... He didn't say just tell me everything nice about the company. :rolleyes:
I passed what I had heard first hand, backed it up with some research, then had some conversations with Billi in HR at the company when they offered me a job.

The smart person will know how to weed through the typical negetivity that sometimes runs through lots of the posts here. I'm glad to hear some good things about the company from Hoggar. There are obviously some positive things about the company, and he hit the reasons for going there right on the head... but if you read between the lines (and the newspaper articles), you won't walk into things like a blind cow. If you know the score in the beginning, you won't be disappointed later.

Batavia looks like a great place to move a career to if you know what you are getting into. I've been to Indonesia many times in the past and can highly recommend it. I've worked for some bad run companies, and the signs of poor management show up in things like, maintenance problems and unhappy aircrew that leave when they aren't paid or are pressured to fly equipement that isn't 100% (how do you think Batavia ended up on the top six most unsafe hit list in 2007). Read the articles I posted and make up your own mind ... The truth always lies somewhere in the middle :ok::ok::ok:

Thanks Mate!!

fofeytor
14th Oct 2009, 15:36
Thank you for the info Hogger 60, I´m thinking to join Batavia air, the only information that I have is the salary 2000$ per month (F/O). Do you know something else about screenings, contracts, and how many expats are you there? I´m Spanish and the situation here is absolutelu horrebly! all the Spanish companys are closing....so we have to move where the work is.
Tnank you very much, hopefully will meet in Batavia next month, Alfonso.

Hogger60
17th Oct 2009, 04:07
The few days I have been around the operation itself, have been relatively problem free. I will continue to post if I seen anything that is extraordinary, either good or bad. Most companies I have worked for have aircraft that carry MEL items. Some are better than others, but since I spent time at Eastern in the days leading up to the strike, I saw more than my fair share of bad mx problems. Routinely we went without apu's, had inop packs, or wx radar, and a slew of other problems. I know what bad mx looks like, having had to deal with it day in and day out during the days of Frank Lorenzo (it still kills me to mention his name, after what he did to a once proud airline).

The biggest problem here (as in many other places), appears to be with the APU's. We had one MEL'ed the other day on one of my observation flights, but the other AC was in good shape for being 15+ years old. Looking through the logbooks, it appears that MEL's are fixed in good time, so while Cruiseclimb's contact may have seen problems in the past (and I do not doubt that, especially if he is on the 737-200 fleet), safety and mx appear to be priorities now.

As I have said before, I will not take an airplane that I consider to be unsafe to fly. I haven't done it in the past under threat of discipline, and I will not do it now. I would rather be without a job than to end up a smoking hole in the ground. And if there is an incident, even if not caused by the MEL item, then it will be my license on the line. Unsafe, I don't take it: no ifs, ands, or buts.

Other than the DGCA license validation process which is extremely slow, everything else has been as promised here. I will try and answer all the pms and any other questions posted here, and give updates as I go.

I have gotten a few PMs about the type of 300/400 we have here. The fleet is split pretty evenly between anolog (with an FMC) and EFIS, with the 400's all being EFIS and at least two of the 300's. The simulator used for the PC's and evals though is anolog, so that will give you an idea of what you will need to know for the eval.

Keep the blue side up,

Hooger

PK-KAR
17th Oct 2009, 15:42
There are several foreign pilots there, mainly for the A332s...
Nice duty days... duty and flight hour limits are juuuuust within the rostered sched... bye bye annual limits though.

A332 routes are currently only CGK-MES (regular) and CGK-SUB (irregular)... News from inside have it that they plan it for JED flights, and several domestic trunk routes.

Lion CAE contracts appear to be extremely convoluted after the DGCA found out several "unqualified" persons applying and was accepted by Lion.

Any current pilot flying for Batavia who could give us an insight on the company?
I'm not there, but expect a double log book *grin*

so either they raise all pilots salaries (the preferable option, but for a low cost carrier, this is not going to happen),
Well, ironically, it's the LCC that has done this (Indo Air Asia)... now highest paid pilots in the private airliens... they have no pilot problems (I wonder whyyyy)

"Indonesian Gov not accept pilots who doesn't have Instructor qualification . That's only for bridging type of aircraft."
That should be phrased as:
"Indonesian gov accepts foreign pilots who does have instructor qualifications, for aircraft and instructor bridging purposes"... Anything beyond that, it's anyone's guess...

Oh, 6 months contracts are no problems with the govt... *grin*

$4,000mo for a Captain?
Basic or take home? If take home, that's the lowest in the country, if basic, well, that all depends on the ++...

I set my Captain minimum pay at $8500.
Is that take home?

I've many friends there who talk about how bad their maintenance are...
Believe me, there are LOTS who'd want to talk about it! *grin*
4k and that's it? Sucks!

I've a friend from Indonesian DGCA, and he told me, that for protect the local pilots , only pilots who has "instructor qualification" can works in Indonesia.
Try and say that to Cor Blokzjil in Mandala...

The official answer is I guess, "the only pilots who can work in Indonesia are the ones whose employers are willing to fork money out on them to the **********"

The basic actually for the local even around 3000 and the flying hours around 7 dollars/hour!!!
Shucks! $7 an hour? That's what the girls earn at the red squad in terminal 3 in jakarta (after a lower basic pay)...
6 landing acceptable by the company.
And >140hrs a month...

Second - This is an LCC. Think Ryan air, Value Jet (er, Air Tran), Air Asia or Spirit Air. You get what you pay for (and one of the big reasons that the pay for pilots is so low).
I think to use LCC and low pay in the case of this carrier, it's inaccurate... The other 2 "true LCC"s in Indonesia pays more than Batavia!

Fourth - The pilots are flying close to the max of 110 hrs each month, mostly due to the fact they are short of pilots, which is the reason the company got permission from the Indonesian government to bring in expat pilots in the first place
A friend who recently jumped ships and moved there a couple of months ago... sorry, he's flying >110hrs... reason? Not short of pilots... Don't buy that argument, it's been going on for years at that carrier... they're known for their low pay... shortage? Well, how much are they paying? So the real reason is, "stingy pay". He's busted his max hours ever since he joined... a lot left because they got tired of the maximum hours busting year after year...

Oh, and that DMI???? There's a "envelope price" for certain items on that list for you to fly... *hint hint*...

If I find any concerted effort to try and put an unsafe aircraft under my seat, I just will not take it. And if I see a regular problem I will not continue working there, and will let everyone know this.
This is why, expat pilots are also a double edge sword for the carriers... The locals are worked their butts off, the expats are flown to the limit... why? If the expats bust their max hours, someone will talk to a LOT of places...

My friend who left also said he was threatened with his job if he didn't fly an aircraft that had an MEL item that was not fixed. The aircraft was cleared for VFR flight.. so he was told take it or leave. He is still waiting to get paid for a month of work.. Also, he said he was promised his own apartment, but never received it.. I am curious about Batavia as well, but don't want to quit a good job to go to Jakarta and be with a unsafe and bad run company...
That's an all tooo familiar story...

Despite ALL the bad stuff I wrote, there is however, hope. Yes, the company is turning around.. or at least try... but, it'll take some time because you really can't cure cancer overnight... The stories from the locals inside differ (as in worse) from what Hogger60 has said... BUT, I'm sure neither are telling outright lies and that the truth are somewhere in the middle...

PK-KAR

peternowell
18th Oct 2009, 12:18
I would like to get in on this action. How do I email my resume to Batavia? And whom do I contact???

Thanks Guys! :)
Peter

peternowell
18th Oct 2009, 12:22
All I could find on Batavia was this gentleman at the training center. Anyone have more info on how to contact please let me know.

HRD Department
PT. Metro Batavia
Jl. Ir. H. Juanda Raya No. 15
Postcode 10120
Central Jakarta
[email protected]

Hope this helps! :)
Peter

Bahamapilot
19th Oct 2009, 01:00
Peternowell, who are you flying with in the Bahamas...Have you ever heard of Take Flight Charters?...PM me and let.

arba
20th Oct 2009, 06:13
for those who're joining the company, i suggest that it would be a good .."safe" practice .. to carry an extra copy of your contract to show it to the management pilot who asked you to fly a defective airplane. Just like you carry your licence.

don't mind those story guys .. it's all up to us to decide !

manflex69
20th Oct 2009, 13:07
PK-KAR,....

Thanks for complete answer..
Just wanna make smaaalllllllllllll correction here...
Cor Blokzijl as a DFO in mandala, he doesn't has permission to fly and teach in mandala.
Just act as a DFO

Thanks,
Manflex 69:ok:

PK-KAR
20th Oct 2009, 17:24
Manflex,
Cheers for that... I guess someone was telling me porkypies! :}

on the glide
23rd Oct 2009, 02:23
Tell to the operator to get thru the operation division dept,am not sure the extension...though!:ugh:

:cool:

Cruiseclimb
23rd Oct 2009, 14:23
Just heard back from Billi in HR. I guess they've had an overwelming response to their hiring, and plan to stop taking applications soon. They are touring the states this weekend, starting in Miami at a hiring conference. They supposedly have more than enough resumes to choose from, with most of the applicants typed in the 737 and lots of time in them. If you haven't gotten your CV and application in, get it there soon.

skycruiser1
24th Oct 2009, 00:46
Just a little inside scoop on whats going on at Batavia. I have a feeling there will be others posting more detailed horror stories here soon.

First of all communicating with Batavia is like pulling teeth, huge language barrier and almost zero information comes out of Jakarta.

Currently there is a group of Captains and F/O's sitting in Jakarta waiting for license conversion. Most have been waiting for up to 6 weeks. There seems to be allot of politics coming out of the Indonesian DGCA towards expat license conversion. All logbooks and previous flying history will be scrutinized to the max. You better have no errors in your log books, all log books have to be stamped and certified by your previous employers. You will also need letter from previous employers certifying your time.

Many have been asked a whole array of ludicrous requirements to verify previous employments., such as provide ID cards from previous jobs....:ugh::ugh::ugh:

As of Yet NO expat have been granted a license conversion :}:}:}

You are expected to pay the full airfare to Jakarta by yourself and you will NOT be reimbursed if you don't pass the PC check upon arrival. :D:D:D.

Housing is in semi furnished small apartments with DOUBLE occupancy, yes you have to share a small apartment. Very professional :=:=:=

And now to the pay, 2000$ USD for F/O's and 4000$ USD for Captains.
They expect you to fly up to 110 hours a month.

Do your homework on safety history of the airline, and what you are getting in to.
Is it worth getting violated, or be a smoking hole in the ground, for this third world working conditions?.

manflex69
26th Oct 2009, 02:09
Guys....

Please don't expect too much about batavia.
For those who wants to have a job desperately , it's okay to join Batavia, but you've to prepared for the risk.

But please read the contract carefully guys.....

Good luck....:ok:

Manf 69

skycruiser1
26th Oct 2009, 11:28
Well as far as I know no expats have had their license converted by the DGCA as of yet at Batavia. I guess the political games goes on.....:mad::mad::mad:

Jakarta Jock
27th Oct 2009, 04:32
Bisnis Indonesia
Jakarta – Transportation Department cancels its plan to propose four carriers to be lifted from EU blacklist next November 2009 due to the consideration that these carriers may have small chance to pass the audit.
These carriers include PT Lion Mentari Airlines (Lion Air), PT Indonesia AirAsia, PT Metro Batavia (Batavia Air), and charter airlines Travira Air. “We have not decided to propose the audit for these four airlines in November or January. Most probably not this November” said Director General of Civil Aviation Herry Bakti S. Gumay.
He added that this cancellation caused by the lack of confidence from the airlines to undergone audit by EU.

A37575
28th Oct 2009, 12:18
For first officer position (foreigner) on 737 do they require a minimum hours on type or will they accept a 737 type rating on a simulator. What is the minimum total hours they want before considering F/O position for foreign pilots and is there age limits through hiring firms like Eagle Jet. Friend of mine with 340 hours and 737 type rating was hoping to be placed by Eagle Jet in an Asian airline to undergo 500 hours RH seat but was told that max age was 40 for such pilots. He is 42.

Cruiseclimb
29th Oct 2009, 06:14
Sorry.. I had to delete it..

flyhigh85
29th Oct 2009, 13:48
Anyone knows how long time the assessment will take? Do you have to wait there until the licence conversation has been done or can you just do the assessment and go back to your homecountry and wait?

skycruiser1
3rd Nov 2009, 11:21
Latest on the constant changing terms at this outfit.

Travel for interview will only be reimbursed at 50% if you pass the DGCA test.

Salary will only be half pay while you wait for DGCA license conversion, some are still waiting now for over 8 weeks. That means 2000$ for Capt and 1000$ for F/O`s pr month.

You have to also share a small apartment with another pilot.

Wonder whats next, work for free. Clean the lavs?....:ugh:

CFM_56
4th Nov 2009, 16:42
Skycruiser1. Do you work for Batavia? I do and there is nobody here waiting 8 weeks for license convertion. The first Expat here waited 5 weeks and is doing line training at this time.

The age limit Batavia wants for its crews is max 50 years old. For FO they want B-737 Type with minimum 300 hours in B-737 with no determination as far as Total Time.

Cheers

PK-KAR
6th Nov 2009, 16:27
CFM56,
Quit the "I'm there and you're not" game... it's only been a short period since you appeared to have no clue on the company...

Congrats on making it... welcome to "hell"... *hehehehe* :D
Say hi to "Jeff" on the 330 and tell him good to have the rotations changed before the DGAC accused him for duty busting for me will ya! :}

I'm sure it won't be long till you can really "feel" the Batavia experience... oh hang on... you're not local... they'll spoil you... Go and check the log book of the guys you're flying with... :oh:

PK-KAR

CFM_56
7th Nov 2009, 21:17
PK-KAR (http://www.pprune.org/members/16082-pk-kar)

It seems like you got fire from Batavia. How did you manage to do that? One really needs to work hard to be let go.

Best of luck on your next job!

PK-KAR
8th Nov 2009, 17:41
CFM56,
Now now, no need to be slanderous. With Captains who still fly there preferring to do his take off numbers using the LDA, or not knowing how the IRS and NAV correction work causing them to end up trying to land elsewhere, at times flying on the Airbus with 1 IR only, frequent structural MTOW busts... no, I didn't get fired from Batavia, I don't even want to go there! It won't be my cup of tea for a while. And that explains why the CCP and several Ops guys moved out of there recently.

Of course, to top it all off, their A330 spilled its gut fluid (HYD) allover the tarmac till the reservoir was dry during the proving flights...

But, as someone said, it's all up to each of us to decide... enjoy or loathe or regret it... each of us is different in what we look for. No need to be defensive about it. 27th of August until today isn't a long time, and probably not enough for you to know the nooks and crannies of the airline yet, so no point in claiming otherwise.

Here's an advise for you to stay alive, paper numbers and reality needs to be crosschecked often at Batavia, unless you're the type who look forward to flying with the local guys who flies 140hrs a month on dual log books... well, if they never tell you, won't be surprised.

And for pay wise, other shops pay locals 1.5x or even double the "expat Cpt pay" in Batavia. Heck, what the local leftseaters get for hourly flight pay is equivalent to what the junior cabin crew earn in another airline!

And as to:
It seems like you got fire from Batavia.
Well, seems that the fire I'm getting from Batavia is from you. ICAO lvl 4 my good ol' chap?

I hope your presence there will weed out the ones who should have been fireD, and bring better pay and conditions into Batavia.

skycruiser1
8th Nov 2009, 23:21
Thanks PK-KAR for your angle on things, for some reason I think you are spot on :}:}:}.

PK-KAR
9th Nov 2009, 03:17
Well, for those wanting to join Batavia, there is one good news... CFM56 is absolutely correct, you do need to work DAMN HARD to get fired!!!! Heck, even stealing simulator time for a friend who claims to be a relative (who then runs around with a fake Batavia ID going around airports claiming to be a Batavia crew to crews from other airlines), and instructing for that so called "relative" for at least 100hrs does not get you fired !!!!!!!!!! :D Even after being caught red handed with all the simlogs and other evidence! :D

I have a few colleagues in there who are out of ideas on how to get fired out of there, thanks to the contract they're in (doesn't include ability to refuse to fly an non-dispatch-able aircraft with passengers on board). The rule there is, you leave before the end, you PAY (and pay a lot), or you stay till the end of the contract... in the meantime, accept whatever condition the company gives you.

Some of you might think this is a local vs expat kind of thing, but here's my question... would you fly in the monsoon with someone who's already done 1475 hours this year to date on a 5th leg of the day at dusk?

So, CFM56, is that 4K USD for 100hrs all in (as in the total you receive each month) for left seat ???? If so, man, you areshort changed. Mind you, you seem to like it! Good on ya! :D I'll have lunch with my colleagues (locals) with 9K for 95hrs at a local non-government owned airline and we'll drink to your fortunes! :rolleyes:

Skycruiser1, the choice is yours buddy. Who knows, I or CFM56 might be telling you porky pies... or maybe both of us are... :}

skycruiser1
9th Nov 2009, 10:13
Hi PK,

In my dealings with this guys, I TOTALY believe you. Every warning bell goes off in my head.

By the way, the Expat contract does not stipulate any monetary penalties, if you leave before the contract is up. But then again the contract is bare bones....hardly enforceable overseas.

CFM_56
9th Nov 2009, 16:21
To all of you who want to get information about Batavia, just ask PK-KAR. He appears to be the "go-to guy".

No more personal messages!

Good luck to all

GBV
9th Nov 2009, 21:20
It's very clear that PK-KAR doesn't want expats flying in Indonesia. Anyway, he's kind of right when he complains about the work conditions. And yes, Batavia is a bit dodgy, like ALL airlines in Indo, but remember that almost all crashes in the archipelago happened due to pilots doing some stupid stuff. Just be careful with ATC and check the airplane conditions very well before flying and you should be safe. The money Batavia is paying is not much, but is OK for Indonesia. I would rather fly for them than being in Europe during winter doing nothing.

By the way, 9K for 95Hs in Indo? Bollocks...i don't believe you. For which Indonesian airline are you flying?

flybywire
9th Nov 2009, 21:38
And yes, Batavia is a bit dodgy, like ALL airlines in Indo, but remember that almost all crashes in the archipelago happened due to pilots doing some stupid stuff. Just be careful with ATC and check the airplane conditions very well before flying and you should be safe.

GBV have you got the proof of what you have stated? Because in my little experience, it's not entirely true. I would like to see proven evidence of what you are saying.

Some of you might think this is a local vs expat kind of thing, but here's my question... would you fly in the monsoon with someone who's already done 1475 hours this year to date on a 5th leg of the day at dusk?

In one word.......NO!!!:=

PK-KAR
9th Nov 2009, 22:06
Sorry GBV, you're dead wrong! we NEED expats flying here! However, I am just disturbed when someone who less than 3 months ago have little knowledge about Batavia, suddenly gets peeved off when someone complains about their conduct when dealing with someone else using the "I'm in, and you're not so therefore you're telling porky pies" tagline.

I have been trying to get some carriers to accept expats here, unfortunately it seems that for some those who are open to the idea, the mentality of a lot of the management is, "hey, they need the job, some have come to us desperate for work, so let's get ourselves a huge bargain," whilst some have adopted the "who cares if they can't really fly, they're foreign, they screw up, we'll just kick them out of the country and tell the DGAC "Damn Foreigners"" mentality. To me, that's extremely sad! Some carriers do need an injection of expats to change the "box mentality" aka "oh that's not how we do it in Indonesia, who cares if the rest of the world have stopped doing that 20 years ago" mentality.

4k USD for 100hrs is by mainline Indonesian carriers' jet standard is sorry to say, beginning to be short changed. Other carriers pay that for 80hrs...

Guys at Citilink and Indonesia Air Asia take home 50% more for 60 - 80 hrs, and above 80, they money kicks in and you'll end up double what Batavia's paying. UNFORTUNATELY, neither of the above take in expats at the moment, and I do hope that will change soon. Several other carriers here now offer 5-6K for captains on narrowbody jets.

U dun believe the 9K for 95H? Certain things have gone forward here... but yes, I didn't believe it until I saw the pay records of someone at one of the 2 carriers I mentioned in the previous paragraph.

I would rather fly for them than being in Europe during winter doing nothing.
This is why I said, it's up to each one to decide. I for one understand why, I just don't feel comfortable for not giving the heads up to someone to go to another country on the other side of the world without knowing what he/she faces. Beyond that, it ain't my business guv!

For those who want to come in here, make a good living, and contributes to the overall improvements of safety standards, have a beer at my place sometime (but you pay for the beer!) :) whichever airline you join or whichever airline and country come from! Why? Coz I want less "crashes in the archipelago happened due to pilots doing some stupid stuff."

However, for those who want to lie their way into Indonesia, go somewhere else! I heard DGAC caught 2 of them last month...

skycruiser1
9th Nov 2009, 23:18
Expats need to sit down and do some serious thinking if its worth flying for this company.

-Poor Pay
-Continuously changing terms
-Excessive schedules, many times illegal with 140 hours in a month
-Bare bones contract that offer zero to no protection
-Atrocious safety records after industry standards
-Sharing small apartment with another crew member
-Travel to Indonesia payed only at 50 %, IF you pass DGCA
-Half Pay while waiting for DGCA conversion, this takes weeks and sometimes over a month

GBV
10th Nov 2009, 00:59
GBV have you got the proof of what you have stated? Because in my little experience, it's not entirely true. I would like to see proven evidence of what you are saying.

NTSC (http://www.dephub.go.id/knkt/ntsc_home/ntsc.htm)

Sorry GBV, you're dead wrong! we NEED expats flying here! However, I am just disturbed when someone who less than 3 months ago have little knowledge about Batavia, suddenly gets peeved off when someone complains about their conduct when dealing with someone else using the "I'm in, and you're not so therefore you're telling porky pies" tagline.

Well, the guy only said that nobody was waiting for license validations, he never said that Batavia was a perfect and happy place.

I have been trying to get some carriers to accept expats here, unfortunately it seems that for some those who are open to the idea, the mentality of a lot of the management is, "hey, they need the job, some have come to us desperate for work, so let's get ourselves a huge bargain," whilst some have adopted the "who cares if they can't really fly, they're foreign, they screw up, we'll just kick them out of the country and tell the DGAC "Damn Foreigners"" mentality. To me, that's extremely sad! Some carriers do need an injection of expats to change the "box mentality" aka "oh that's not how we do it in Indonesia, who cares if the rest of the world have stopped doing that 20 years ago" mentality.

An expat in the cockpit doesn't mean you are safe, ExpressAir just had a very bad experience. Do you agree?

Happy landings :ok:

manflex69
14th Nov 2009, 01:37
Guys....

I told you so......

Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...............be careful with your contract and offering from BTV.

Read and read again .......:ugh:

Cheers...

Manf

skycruiser1
14th Nov 2009, 04:07
The contract is completely bare bones, does NOT contain much at all. That's why they change the terms on a whim!! :}:}:}:}:}:}:}:}

Monur
24th Nov 2009, 07:29
What is the compulsory retirement age with Batavia for an expat captain - anyone have any facts?

sebsair
26th Nov 2009, 19:05
Buenas ,

Creo que eres español me gustria hablar contigo si esta por Jakarta..
enviame un privado,
Sludos
sebas

Old glass
5th Dec 2009, 18:43
Buenas,

Pensé que todavía vuelan A320 en Rusia.

moon_towers
8th Dec 2009, 09:52
I Like these:

It won't be my cup of tea for a while.

:) m_t

Storpikk
21st Dec 2009, 04:49
Whats the latest with this outfit, there where some expats that went there and then quiet.

No feed back from anyone??

Cruiseclimb
21st Dec 2009, 18:48
Storpikk,... It's not so much third party hearsay now is it? :ok:

PK-KAR
21st Dec 2009, 19:57
It's not so much third party hearsay now is it?
Was it something to do with an expat having to pay a bond >1 month salary for a holiday out of Indonesia "in case you don't come back" ? :E
Or was it that the expat captain's pay in Batavia for 100hrs is equivalent to what an F/O would get at at least 2 Indonesian carriers for 100hrs?:eek:
Or was it the lack of training? :=
Or was it really the hearsay stuff I posted? :ooh:

As I've said in another topic, this company knows there are a lot of guys out of the country seeking jobs in the current economic environment... and the company will exploit that!

PK-KAR

Storpikk
22nd Dec 2009, 03:03
PK-KAR,

I agree with your assessment, I had an offer from this outfit. Dealing with them via email and on the phone was a very unprofessional experience, this set off my alarm bells. I started talk to expats that's there already, this sealed the case for me. I turned them down.

I rather stay alive and out of jail, than risk my life flying for this unprofessional lot...

piratepete
23rd Dec 2009, 00:56
The only issue here has absolutely nothing to do with being safe or professional at all.There are really no issues in that respect, as far as the 20-odd expats here already are concerned.However, there is a big credibility issue with respect to the honesty of the company regarding contract conditions.You get a contract sent to you before you come, then like magic, a new one is presented to you upon arrival that doesnt resemble the first one.Its all about the pilot supply/demand equation and right now it favours the airlines.What to do?.Its up to you, but if desperate enough, or looking for that first break into jets, etc, then you will consider almost anything wont you?.Things will turn around soon, but a job is a job even with Batavia, and nothing rules you out of the running for desirable jobs more than a CV that screams "...last flight was july 2008..." Pete.

jamestaylor
23rd Dec 2009, 01:36
Guys is Captain Cor still CP at Mandala - thought the Batavia guys would know....?

PK-KAR
23rd Dec 2009, 04:22
Very well put PiratePete!!!! :ok:

The safety issues regarding Batavia is unrelated to the expat issue... they might even send the expats flying the serviceable planes instead because they're worried someone might "talk" after leaving. The safety issues in Batavia isn't as blatantly simple as say, Adam Air, but the potential consequences isn't that much different. But it's a different situation.

My worry is very well put by PiratePete... it's the contract! This is a company that has used crew contracts as a weapon against its crew, and a weapon against those refusing to compromise safety.

A job is a job... whether it's better than being unemployed, is everyone's own decision... but, coming in with information is better than stepping into the unknown! The last thing Indonesia needs is another war of words between locals and expats on what happened here...

Guys is Captain Cor still CP at Mandala - thought the Batavia guys would know....?
He's DFO at Mandala... doesn't fly though...

Storpikk
23rd Dec 2009, 07:22
Thanks for your view on the matter Pete!!...:ok::ok:

manflex69
5th Jan 2010, 10:24
Hi James...

Just curious , why you're asking about Corr?
Do you know him very well?

manflex 69

Khaosai
8th Jan 2010, 06:29
Hi,

lets meet for a beer in Jakarta and put the world to rights on all aviation matters !. I am there soon.

Cheers.

brasmelzuit
8th Jan 2010, 08:51
try contact PK-KAR once you landed in Jakarta..I'm sure he can enlight you of the situation there..:ok:

PK-KAR
8th Jan 2010, 13:52
PM me on arrival if you want... no guarantees though... :}

PK-KAR
11th Jan 2010, 08:22
Piratepete,
It is normal... for Batavia that is... :ouch:
If they don't give you charts, go to Halim and grab some IndoAvis enroute charts. It's not Jepp, but it'll keep you alive at least! :ok:

Stay safe,

PK-

arba
11th Jan 2010, 13:32
poor Piratepete

you fly pax with those questions ?
what a burden ! better know when to stop than sorry.

BTW the "LHS's hand on throttles during T/O roll" is for the Stage II Checklist.
they may not yet adopt it (but if you meant nobody grab the T/L .. that's another story).

MUGA
3rd Feb 2010, 06:59
Hey everyone,

Just hearing some rumours that the DCA in Indonesia has/might be increasing the hour requirements for foreign pilots looking to join local airlines, ie. Batavia and other 737 / 320 operators to 500hrs on type or previous jet experience.
Just wondering if any of you who work in the region have heard anything to that effect.

Many thanks.

piratepete
3rd Feb 2010, 15:31
Yes its now official DGCA policy.You must have 500 hours on type, in order for the DGCA to approve a foreign pilots licence validation, for example B737 or A320.You will not be able to be employed if you dont have this so will be wasting your time coming here without those hours.This apparently in response to the very many expats going to Indonesia to gain some jet time, or time on type to qualify for more lucrative jobs back home etc.

stevieboy
4th Feb 2010, 08:11
Piratepete, where did you read the 500 hours on type requirement, can you please direct me to the official DGCA policy?

PK-KAR
4th Feb 2010, 11:01
Official ? Since?
I've just been told that the expat crew cannot exceed 10% of the total crew numbers on type. I guess just as it's all getting clear again, something else comes into the fray!

aseanaero
4th Feb 2010, 12:03
I guess just as it's all getting clear again, something else comes into the fray!

PK-KAR , you should know better .... when it's clear no one makes money !

The money making color is abu-abu (grey)

Diamonds, Gold, Cash, Accepted

on the glide
7th Feb 2010, 01:12
KAR,

.........:ok:

I keep my mouth shut!!!

on the glide
7th Feb 2010, 01:14
James Taylor,

I believed No Expat....anymore

Cheers

on the glide
7th Feb 2010, 01:25
KAR,

I have been flown with less "performance" aircraft with 300/non EFIS and the Incoming gentlement comes with a better wages,flying with better MEL(???@#!!!better MEL...fuuiih) and special sector NO high obstacle routes and able to make direct call to someone if the aircraft has a discrepancies to fix.....It's a good Chain of situasional awareness according I used to get from the CRM in the past time.:ugh:

Let's see what is going to be....:=

Offcourse the company taking the advantage disregard the situation is....:}

KAR...:D

otg :oh:

piratepete
21st Feb 2010, 11:46
Hear from the grapevine that some expat pilots have resigned lately.It is also apparent that the job market is hotting up significantly all over the planet, but not least in Asia.It is not surpising then that pilots at outfits like Batavia, will just take off as soon as an offer better than $20usd an hour pops up.Yes thats $20usd an hour, wow......$2000usd a month, with average of 110 hours a month flight time equals just un der $20.Charming Batavia.Pilots are not slaves!!!

CFM_56
22nd Feb 2010, 21:58
It is true. Last week 2 expat pilots resigned from Batavia. The expat FO pay is indeed USD2,000 a month for 100 hours. Captain is USD4,000 a month for the same flight time. Cost of living in Indonesia is about 1/2 of the USA.

Those are the facts, not rumor:ok:

rangerss
12th Apr 2010, 09:51
CFM56

I heard some rumors lately that even more expats has left the company. They have just gone on "vacation" but haven't returned. People are stuck in line training getting no flights and everybody are pritty unhappy since they get treated like sh:mad:t. Do you have a HU on the situation?

CFM_56
1st May 2010, 20:45
I hate to say but that last posting in....quite the reality at Batavia. Not rumor. It's a fact.:\

CFM_56
2nd Jun 2010, 13:53
Not rumor. It's true. More people are leaving and some are not returning. The last Expat Captain just left and Batavia has indicated they shall not hire foreign Captains anymore. About 4 FO's also left the company within the last month.

Cheers

sumair
15th Jul 2010, 14:12
Hi Hogger60,
Having read your posts i see that u have immense knowledge about batavia air. I have some questions to ask you. Does batavia air provide aa type rating ?? and if os do they make you sign a bond? and if so for how many years? I am an Indian Citizen and i have an Faa and Indian CPL with multi IR as well. So what is the procedure to convert it into an indonesian cpl if i am trying to get a job with Batavia air and how long does this process of conversion or validation take?? Please let know the answers to the above questions.
Regards,
Sumair.

66biscuits
30th Jul 2010, 01:23
Australia?
Indonesian Batavia to service Australia - Airline News - etravelblackboard.com (http://www.etravelblackboard.com/showarticle.asp?id=106977&nav=130)
Five Indonesian airlines seek rights to Australia: Batavia, Sriwijaya, Mandala, Lion Air & AirAsia | Centre for Asia Pacific Aviation - CAPA (http://www.centreforaviation.com/news/2010/07/23/five-indonesian-airlines-seek-rights-to-australia-batavia-sriwijaya-mandala-lion-air--airasia/page1)

jetjockey696
30th Jul 2010, 03:26
Jakarta Globe 2nd July 2010

Two more domestic airlines have won approval to fly to Europe, one year after the European Union allowed four other Indonesian carriers regained access to the continent, an air transportation chief said on Friday.

Herry Bhakti Singayuda, director general of air transportation at the Ministry of Transportation, said that the EU would officially announce that Batavia Air and Indonesia AirAsia will be allowed to fly routes to European Union member nations by the end of this month.

“[The EU] air transportation director [Daniel] Calleja told me that the two airlines have been released from the ban,” he said, adding that Batavia, Air Asia and Lion Air submitted proposals to the EU during a meeting in Brussels last week.

In 2007, the EU imposed a ban on all of the country’s 51 airlines, effectively blocking them from flying into European airspace.

The ban came on the back of a series of Indonesian crashes and a subsequent damning report by the International Civil Aviation Organization.

The Montreal-based body found that Indonesian airlines’ safety and maintenance regimes fell well below European standards.

From 2004 to 2007, the rate of Indonesian airline crashes was about 15 times higher than that of the global average.

However, the ban and the ensuing public relations disaster that followed, forced local carriers to address the ICAO recommendations.

In 2009, the EU lifted the flight ban for Garuda Indonesia, Mandala Airlines, Airfast, and PrimeAir.

However, only Garuda has returned to the continent, with a route to Amsterdam.

Herry said for airlines to get off the no-fly list, they must already have achieved the nation’s top airworthiness category, which qualifies them for an Aviation Operator Certification issued by the ICAO.

Lion Air, which is in the top safety category, failed to convince the EU that it would be able to expand its fleet and coverage while maintaining high European safety standards.

“Out of three airlines we proposed, two were approved by the EU,” he said. “It is good that their confidence in our air safety and industry is increasing.”

Edward Sirait, a spokesman for Lion Air, said the airline was not planning to fly to Europe.

“What matters is that our airline will get international recognition if the ban is lifted,” Edward said, “not whether we will fly to Europe or not.”

Danang Parikesit, chairman of the Indonesian Transportation Society, said Indonesia had worked hard to win back the trust of the EU and travelers.

However, he said, safety should not be viewed as the sole responsibility of the airlines, but rather a cooperative relationship shared by carriers and the government.

“Safety should also be a major concern for the regulator as well,” he said.

jetjockey696
30th Jul 2010, 03:39
"Jakarta G. 15th July 2010.

A Batavia Air flight from Pekanbaru, Riau, to Jakarta had to turn back and make an emergency landing midway through the journey on Thursday evening when two explosions were heard coming from the left wing.

Passengers on board reportedly panicked but the plane was not turned back immediately.

“During take off the engine sounded really rough, and five minutes later there was quite a loud bang,” said Amir Husein, one of the passengers.

“Everyone was screaming. Passengers panicked 15 minutes later upon hearing another bang near the left wing of the plane, which began to spark.”

Amir added that the pilot did not explain what the explosions were, only that there were technical problems and as a result, the flight crew would conduct an emergency landing.

“The pilot said that in order to make the emergency landing at Pekanbaru, we had to burn off fuel by circling from 6.45 p.m. to 8.45 p.m.,” he said.

Passengers got even more agitated when the air conditioning had to be turned off.

“But as soon as we landed, everyone clapped their hands,” Amir added.

No immediate report was available for the cause of the explosions or the decision to turn back, while the authorities declined to say if the two incidents were linked. There were 186 passengers and crew on board the airplane.

Batavia rescheduled the flight for the next day, but just before takeoff on Friday morning, a female passenger became hysterical and had to be taken off the plane.

According to an airline official, Zulkifli, the passenger, Andranita, was screaming and pulling a flight attendant’s shirt when the plane was about to take off.

The pilot finally decided to have her removed from the plane to prevent disruptions to the flight. Andranita was helped off the plane by another passenger.

However, Andranita denied that she had been a nuisance. She claimed she only asked a flight attendant to ask the plane’s technician if the plane was ready to fly because she did not want to go through a repetition of Thursday evening’s incident.

“I was traumatized and I asked the flight attendant to confirm that all was well with the plane to reassure us, but she didn’t give me a satisfactory answer,” Andranita said.

According to Ahmadi, who helped Andranita off the plane, she didn’t do anything that may have disrupted the flight.

“It’s highly regrettable that Batavia Air didn’t understand the psychology of passengers who almost experienced an accident. We are all traumatized,” Ahmadi said."

I only guess the only way to fly to EU by an Indonesian to carrier is to buy Airbus, a bit of you scratch my back and I scratch yours... there is no way Batavia can be clear to fly to EU without the Airbus they have.

So be careful out there my cowboys and cowgals..:ok:

PK-KAR
6th Aug 2010, 07:02
Well Jetjockey,
Lion's Wings ordered the ATRs and couldn't get the exemption.
Batavia's Airbuses are, "unapprovedly maintained" according to Airbus.

So, seems that the EU ban isn't strict. Really! CASA's audits were stricter!
All the EU asked for is:
- Are you adequately covered by the DGCA?
- Do you have records of your screwups?
- What do you do regarding those screwups?

Lion answered, "screwups? what screwups? We NEVER screwup!" Everyone knows that's a lie.
Batavia answered, "oh, we screwed up REAL bad in this, this, this and this. We're implementing this, this and this, but we don't know what the resultant improvements are." And that was acceptable.
The major difference between those two is one tries to cover it all up (and allegedly forks out heaps of money to keep the media silent), whilst the other, just says, "yes we suck!"

Put me on a Batavia A320 with only 1 IRS working anyday over a Lion 737-900ER with a claimed "spotless record".

Partially "you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours" is true, but not the whole truth.

HurryUp&Retire
7th Aug 2010, 01:11
Does anyone know the FO requirements?
Do you need to be typed?

thanks in advance

adam75
9th Sep 2010, 22:48
hi !! what about their 737-300 did they have EFIS on board with ND or only EHSI ??

Springbok90
19th Sep 2010, 00:51
Yes its now official DGCA policy.You must have 500 hours on type, in order for the DGCA to approve a foreign pilots licence validation, for example B737 or A320.You will not be able to be employed if you dont have this so will be wasting your time coming here without those hours.This apparently in response to the very many expats going to Indonesia to gain some jet time, or time on type to qualify for more lucrative jobs back home etc.

I was just checking out the website of batavia airlines and the minimum requirments for a FO B737/A320 are:

1. CPL ME IR holder;
2. min. on type 100 hours

Is this the same for an expat? Because that means you don't need the 500 hours.

jetjockey696
19th Sep 2010, 05:15
guys... just apply.. my friend is now flying with Batavia without any hours on type (B737). Anything is possible. Just send your resume to these guys. nothing to lose. They got over 20 foreigner in batavia.. I expect some will jump ship to Garuda..for better pay and conditions.

Batavia do need pilots... just do it...

Springbok90
19th Sep 2010, 10:24
Did your friend have a B737 TR?

jetjockey696
19th Sep 2010, 16:31
Yep a current type rating.. my friend flew props.. before the join batavia. No hours on type...

requirement:

# Rated and current license on Type B 737-300/400
# Current Medical
# English Proficiency min. level 4

HRD Department

PT. METRO BATAVIA

Jl. Ir. Juanda Raya No. 15

Jakarta Pusat 10120

INDONESIA.

Email: hrd @ batavia-air.co.id

BTW... dont expect much of T&C, benefits, housing and salary.. and changes in contract when you get here.:ok: All nice and dodgy... :p but if you are game and have a sense of adventure..do it... NOT for the faint hearted..:E

SV_741_India_Bravo
19th Sep 2010, 17:15
thanks for that jetjockey696

Michi
3rd Oct 2010, 12:25
Anyone know the requirements for the Airbus fleet and 'screening' process at Batavia?

Thanks
M.

Springbok90
20th Oct 2010, 12:38
Im not typerated on 737 or a320 yet, but i am willing to do that if i can fly for batavia airlines. I can drop my resume letter and cv personally and i know some people there. Do you guys think i make any chance if i let them know that i am willing to do the typerating and pay it by myself.

SW1
10th Nov 2010, 13:53
Hi, looks like they are still recruting. Going by what has been said in earlier posts, do they still require 500 hours multi crew time? Im rated on the A320 with just under 100 hours and have not had any luck here in Europe so thought I may a well give it a shot. Any new updates or information would be greatly appreciated:ok:

Michi
10th Nov 2010, 14:48
I don't know about the present requirements. I have close to 2000hrs on type and until now no response what so ever. If anyone knows better contact details, I am open for it.
M

SW1
10th Nov 2010, 15:18
Michi, When did you apply? The advert on their website states 100 hours on type required. With your hours have you tried Sri Lankan, Air Arabia even Qatar?

Boeing Europe
26th Jul 2012, 05:27
Does anyone have any info on how to contact batavia for 737 pilot recruitment , also does anyone know wether they are cunnently recruiting at the moment for 737 experienced fo...?

Wesker
26th Jul 2012, 09:13
I'm sorry but Batavia only hires their own cadets. They've used experienced foreigners before but not anymore.

squarecrow
26th Jul 2012, 15:15
Ja hear Air Asia are buying it out for X millions of dollars. Seems TF wants to stop the competition by buying it ya. repeat of FFY