PDA

View Full Version : If it's published.....?

Too Fast
12th Aug 2009, 12:41
I have unfortunately been tasked with finding out the answer to this:-

We have recently published that when flying either the ILS localiser only or PAR Az only approaches you must fly the nominal glidepath thus preventing the piolt from decending to the step fix and continuing decent below when clear of the fix.

Because this has now been published we no longer tell this to the pilot before the commencement of the approach. At every unit I have spoken to they say "well if it's published then you don't need to say it" however where is it written that if it's published then you don't need to say it?
I have been tasked with writing a safety survey on these approaches (presumably punishment for something I'm gonna do wrong in the future!) and need to find the answer. At the moment I cannot evidence this
.......any help!

cleo
14th Aug 2009, 06:55
Just a thought, but the runway length is published as well - nowhere does it say ""don't give the length every time you issue landing clearance" :hmm:

orgASMic
14th Aug 2009, 08:29
I do not know if there is any written regulation or advice but, on airfields I have worked where there have been non-standard procedures, the drill was that station-based crews or regular visitors were expected to know the procedures and infrequent visitors were asked if they were "familiar with the procedures as published" or words to that effect. That was usually enough to reduce the mouth music on freq. Controllers have enough arse-covering phrases to trot out these days. Get the Approach controller to ask in the initial exchanges and that gives the crew time to dig out the plates and have a quick refresh before getting too close.

Remember that safety management is about reducing risk as low as reasonably practical - it is not unreasonable to expect a professional crew to have looked at the approach plate for a planned arrival before they get to you. Diversions are, of course, another matter and may need lots of help.