PDA

View Full Version : EK new FCI: As pilots you can't open the cabin doors!

kennedy
12th Aug 2009, 09:43
On the list we have cabin crew, suitably trained engineering staff, Dnata operatives, even the caterers, but nowhere does it say Pilots!

It's an Fci, so when we are on the freighter, the delay code should be pilots unable to open doors due SOP!
:mad:

ironbutt57
12th Aug 2009, 09:46
I don't touch the things anyway..of course a trash-hauler is a different story

yada.yada.yada
12th Aug 2009, 10:08
Funny....my email showed it as being FCN not FCI. RTFE.

XIVIL4DEP
12th Aug 2009, 13:33
Hmmmm ... Hmmmmm

cerbus
12th Aug 2009, 16:00
Thanks for the words of advice Bin Liner. We will all calm down because you told us too meanwhile the company can keep on doing stupid things and costing us money while they keep their bonus and we keep on getting further in debt. What an airline. I can't believe that there are not more outrage at the company but with the likes of BL he is just glad to be in the middle east working for EK

Payscale
12th Aug 2009, 18:48
CERBUS.... and what would you like to do about it? There is only one way to vote here, and that with your feet. We might not like it, but we chose to come here. When the market picks up, they will give us a nice bonus and all the thumb sucking revolutionaries with smile again. I dont like it any better than you do, but our hands are tied up right now. :{ :ooh:

411A
12th Aug 2009, 19:12
There is only one way to vote here, and that with your feet. We might not like it, but we chose to come here. When the market picks up, they will give us a nice bonus and all the thumb sucking revolutionaries with smile again.

So very true...and not just at one ME carrier either.
Ain't gonna change, either, I expect.

PorkKnuckle
12th Aug 2009, 20:23
More profoundly wise words by 411 who's never set foot in the ME. :rolleyes:

As for not opening the doors, I feel sorry for the freighter guys who it appears now get to sleep in the cockpit when they get back, waiting for the jingly caterers to come let them out.

According to the FCN, DNATA staff are NOT allowed to open a door - I thought they were? Seems they haven't received the high level of training the skilled catering staff have been given. Neither have we, apparently although I thought I recall opening a door at SEP last month...

Standby for yet another "recall" of this FCN followed by a sheepish re-issue. If we did OUR jobs as well as this.... it'd be a SACKING, wouldn't it??

Nil defects
13th Aug 2009, 03:08
Are you type rated on the whole aircraft - or only part of it?

Time2go
13th Aug 2009, 04:35
Why is everyone making a big deal of nothing. The title of the FCN is "Aircraft Door Operation- External Handling of Aircraft Doors". When is the last time you OPENED or CLOSED the doors during passenger ops? Previously EK Flight Catering and Dnata Staff were not authorised to open or close the doors from outside. Now they are, which reduces the chance of an inadvertent slide deployment from internal handling of an armed door.

I have backed up cabin crew in confirming a disarmed door after arrival on occasion and the Freighter ops is a different operation in that regard as well. Now all it is saying is that doors can be opened from the outside by those mentioned and internally by Cabin Crew and Engineers. BIG DEAL !

Know which battles are worth fighting over,is this one? or as usual everyone jumps on the bandwagon instead of looking at the big picture and seeing if it really affects our job or not. :ugh:

kingoftheslipstream
13th Aug 2009, 08:12
No one is goin' to tell me I can't operate the doors... from the inside or the outside... this is some kind of dumb error, typical a EK manglement, and typically poorly conceived and communicated.

This whole issue is an interestin' one... some folks just ain't got even horse sense...

In the last 6 months I had occasion to open the R3 door in order to examine the wing in poor light, for signs a ice... as the skipper I like to employ a backup person if it's possible, (it's not a requirement though) simply in the interests a safety, so asked a nearby cabin crew to open the door, whilst I was their back-up (this is 'xactly what the Pursers do, it's a handy form a delegation).

Another nearby cabin crew challenged me (politely enough) that I wasn't allowed to open cabin doors! I unequivocally informed my mistaken colleague that I was trained, licenced and had the authority to open, close any door/hatch/compartment I reasonably had cause to at any time as I was the Aircraft Commander. I was polite but firm. I don't know what goes on in the heads (if they have 'em) of those numbskulls in the Training College or on the floors of Flt Ops manglement... perhaps their brains have bin 'liberated' from their torsos...

Common sense jes' aint that common sometimes... if it wuz, everyone would have it...

Happy contrails

Aircav
13th Aug 2009, 09:06
Yes!! But their manual says otherwise. Next time get them to check it so that they know better next time. Remember the more you let go the more the norm it becomes and frankly some of are cabin crew already think that their job is the most important on board.

Time2go
13th Aug 2009, 09:40
Quote "Common sense jes' aint that common sometimes... if it wuz, everyone would have it..."

Amen Brother Amen:ok:

Kittty125
13th Aug 2009, 12:19
I have to say, I'm with Bin Liner and Payscale. Who cares?

Frankly, I'm bemused and a little saddened by my so-called professional colleagues who almost seem to regard it as a race to get the next damning FCI/FCN/management email on PPRuNe for a little whinge.

Chaps, please get a life or get out of the UAE. Nobody enjoys these missives (except, perhaps, their authors) but this constant public moaning is seriously immature.

Running for cover...

ironbutt57
14th Aug 2009, 00:57
Go ahead as a "Commander", exercise your Command authority, and open the door....the one odd time in a decade you might need to...pop the slide, and see what happens to you...why not enlist the professionals in your own crew who do it day in and day out..called CRM...as in crew RESOURCES management...:ok:

411A
14th Aug 2009, 03:08
More profoundly wise words by 411 who's never set foot in the ME.

Gosh, I suppose my thirty years counting the tax-free cash there doesn't impress...better stick to HAMburg, PorkKnuckle.:rolleyes:

As for doors...let someone else do it, as that is what they are paid for...:ugh:

trimotor
14th Aug 2009, 05:07
Ladies, it's an FCN telling us what will normally happen, not a policy-changing FCI.

You can still open the door if you want to.

Saltaire
14th Aug 2009, 05:13
I always thought the easiest solution was to only allow doors to be opened from outside. Removes all doubt and a not so bright cabin crew with 3 hours sleep barely awake can't blow a slide with the automatic disarming from the outside.

If something bad happens, I'm likely doing a rope squeeze out the flight deck window anyway ;)

BackpackPilot
14th Aug 2009, 05:13
I'm bemused and a little saddened by my so-called professional colleagues who almost seem to regard it as a race to get the next damning FCI/FCN/management email on PPRuNe for a little whinge. But like us you can't wait to get back here to read of the latest misery/stupidity and whinges! Because we have nothing else to do apart from swapping flights and going to the mall. I have offered to back up a cabin crew in opening a door, they also challenged the legality of my doing so, and in two cases refused. Why not thank them for their input and offer them another night in the destination to wait for the next flight back to Dubai where they can explain why they refused an instruction regarding the doors from His Excellency, the Right Royal Grand Poobah el Capitano. AKA "stood down". It sends a message in the language CC management understand: FEAR and ACTION.

But doing that might mean "growing a pair" for some guys here. Let's face it, IFS run this show and you even have CC telling the captain he's not allowed to open "their" door. Didn't TCAS even tell you at those meetings to grow a pair and remember who's in charge?

Kittty125
14th Aug 2009, 14:54
But of course BP - what else would I do with all my days off?;)

H1N1
15th Aug 2009, 07:41
The Equus caballus wasn't careful again and signed something that he didn't actually write.
BM wrote this FCN about the door opening procedure.
Our SOPs for door opening and closing still applies.