PDA

View Full Version : Flybe E195 makes forced landing

bubblesqueaker
10th Aug 2009, 20:46
just noticed this online, anyone know which reg it was or any info?

BBC NEWS | UK | England | Devon | Flybe plane makes forced landing (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/8194453.stm)

Phileas Fogg
10th Aug 2009, 20:59
Well had it been tracking from C.I. to London it wouldn't have been anywhere near to EXT to make a 'forced' landing, whatever a forced landing may be.

Suspect that it was merely a technical diversion to Flybe's main engineering base for some unscheduled TLC and the press, as usual, are making a mountain out of a somewhat routine molehill.

bubblesqueaker
10th Aug 2009, 21:02
no surprise there then! :ugh: According to the updated story it was now going from LGW to CI? Hmmm!

Scott Diamond
10th Aug 2009, 21:30
Reg G-FBEC flight BE-953from Gatwick to Jersey... diverted to Exeter with 'flaps problem', landed safely and replacement aircraft dispatched to Jersey.

Lay off them, BBC, just after the non-event landing at Gatwick. Go report on the body discovered in a gear bay of an A320 in Vladivostok... :suspect:

Dave's brother
10th Aug 2009, 21:37
"Well had it been tracking from C.I. to London it wouldn't have been anywhere near to EXT to make a 'forced' landing, whatever a forced landing may be.

Suspect that it was merely a technical diversion to Flybe's main engineering base for some unscheduled TLC and the press, as usual, are making a mountain out of a somewhat routine molehill."

I'd argue it's safe to say that a 'forced' landing is a landing at an originally unintended airport for a reason that has nothing to do with the original destination. As for diverting to Exeter being "routine", I'm sure that's an added extra most passengers would be happy to forego.

Defruiter
10th Aug 2009, 21:38
Is it just me that gets constantly infuriated with the way these news agencies report something? When I read "Forced landing", I imagine it has gone down somewhere. Then when you read further on and see it was a "minor technical fault", it hardly constitutes a "forced landing" in my opinion.

adverse-bump
10th Aug 2009, 22:18
This Is Not A Forced Landing

Phileas Fogg
10th Aug 2009, 22:26
I was 'forced' to stop my car in a lay-by the other week to pump a tyre up ..... why wasn't this reported as headline news?

This had been an added extra that I would have been happy to forego! :)

kms901
10th Aug 2009, 22:27
I agree. Surely a forced landing involves being forced to land, now ! This was a diversion for a technical problem.

Otto Throttle
11th Aug 2009, 13:22
The laws of physics force everything to land eventually, ergo, every landing is a forced landing. :hmm:

newtownards
11th Aug 2009, 14:15
I can vouch for the Flybe E195s diverting from Belfast City airport a couple of times due to hydraulic issues last year.

Nice aircraft though, flown on them once and caught a go around on video :) still..bring back the 146 i say :)

RVF750
11th Aug 2009, 14:27
Yes Bring back the 146!

Let's see how much fun it would be paying through the nose for old fashioned, probably u/s on fitting parts to a 20 year+ old airframe, with outdated avionics/engines and systems, a fuel burn per seat /KM than the current fleet and no end of techical problems to solve weekly.

Don't get me wrong, I love the old 146 and enjoyed flying it for several years no end, but it's an old design, obscelecent and poorly supported and simply not the tool for today's fragile industry model.

You'd drown in parts costs and unreliability for starters.

Flybe are scrapping a lot of the old things because they are worth more as parts than flying machines...says it all really.

The E195 is a superb aircraft, modern and efficient, the Dash also for most of the routes it services. Without them, Flybe probably wouldn't be around in as good health as it is.

The BBC however, really needs to go find some proper News to fill it's time!

newtownards
11th Aug 2009, 14:56
Would i be right in saying one of the big flaws in the 146 fleet was that Flybe inherited them all with different layouts inside, making booking and passenger numbers a bit more tricky? Also all the stories of burning or nasty smells onboard, and a mercury spill on one aircraft.

PaperTiger
11th Aug 2009, 15:03
You know very well the media and spotters can't spell "precautionary".

Muppets.

JEM60
11th Aug 2009, 19:38
I can assure you that spotters [I am not one] can spell very much better than some of the Airline Pilots on here!!!!. Can't bring myself to use 'muppets'

EGTE
11th Aug 2009, 21:56
See last night's post on the Exeter thread.
http://www.pprune.org/airlines-airports-routes/194546-exeter-17.html#post5116860

Skyfan
11th Aug 2009, 22:14
Just my two pence worth, but it strikes me that a forced landing is one that involves some polite but firm commands to put it on the ground, backed up by the business end of a Tornado or two.

In cases like this I think it's up to crew/press officers/PR types to try and set the terms of the discussion. I'd call it a unscheduled landing.