PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft Hire USA

girl with a stick
9th Aug 2009, 02:23
G'day!

Am planning flying trip in USA later this month and am looking for a Piper Dakota or Arrow to rent for a week or so.

Am landing at LAX, but am able to rent from pretty much anywhere.

Advice appreciated!

Cheers,

GWAS

girl with a stick
9th Aug 2009, 22:25
Have applied for temp licence, at Long Beach FSDO...

Cheers,

GWAS

ExSp33db1rd
10th Aug 2009, 00:54
And I believe that the 'temporary certificate' will then only be valid for 6 weeks ? ( that's what I was told the first time I encountered this nonsense - so I stopped right there. )

Next visit you have to do it all again, and I visit annually.

All in the too hard basket.

I used to enjoy the occasional flight in the USA, and I actually have an FAA certificate that was once permanently predicated on the validity of my current foreign licence - not any more, see above - the Anti-Terrorist policy of a certain ( unnamed here ) recent US Ex-President has certainly ruined all that, I can wait until I get home again.

Cusco
10th Aug 2009, 07:21
Temp certificate , issued under 61.75 is actually valid 120 days pending issue of permanent certificate: My perm. certificate recently took 90 days to be issued.(If perm licence doesn't arrive within 120 days they will, on request issue another temp cert , I believe by fax if requested.)

I should imagine that as gwas has nominated Long Beach FSDO she is well up with the ramifications of applying for a 61.75 'based-on' FAA cert.

Cusco

Aerial Chauffeur
10th Aug 2009, 13:31
(If perm licence doesn't arrive within 120 days they will, on request issue another temp cert , I believe by fax if requested.)

And they will do so very efficiently and quickly.

englishal
11th Aug 2009, 12:10
California Flight Center (California Flight Center, Inc. (http://www.californiaflightcenter.com)) and Angel City Flyers (Professional Flight Training at Long Beach Airport | Angel City Flyers, Inc. (http://www.angelcityflyers.com)) both at Long Beach come highly recommended - top aircraft at good prices. Might not have the Pipers though :ok:

girl with a stick
4th Sep 2009, 05:00
Just want to say big thanks to everyone who offered advice to me. Am sitting at LAX right now, on the way home, after a fabulous, easy trip to the USA...

After faxing the app to Oklahoma, I was handed over to my nominated FSDO, in Long Beach. I made an appointment, they gave me a brief interview, printed out a licence - free of charge (I'd paid CASA $50 for a letter verifying my details, which they'd faxed to the wrong office!) and called me a taxi to the airport.

The licence is valid for 120 days, and the only condition was that I'd have to do a check-ride from the flight school from which I'd be hiring the a/c.

The USA is an amazing place to fly, with FBOs everywhere providing advice, maps, free coffee (and in one case, popcorn!). ATC take a "hey, we work for you" attitude. The whole country is set up for GA.

Am already planning next trip......

GWAS

Sam Rutherford
4th Sep 2009, 10:36
I'm glad you had a good trip, American GA is (arguably) the best in the world!

Safe flights, Sam.