PDA

View Full Version : Gripen gear up landing 6/8-09

M609
8th Aug 2009, 15:54
JAS-39C Gripen from the F-17 Wing of the SwAF landed with the gear still stowed at Ronneby/ESDF. Inital interview with the pilot points to "the human factor".

Guess he will buy the beers for some time! ;)

http://www.mil.se/ImageVault/Images/id_9036/ImageVaultHandler.aspx?~9036~En%20JAS%2039C%20buklandade%20p %C3%A5%20flygflottiljen%20F%2017%20i%20Ronneby.

http://www.mil.se/ImageVault/Images/id_9040/ImageVaultHandler.aspx?~9040~JAS%2039C%20efter%20buklandning %20p%C3%A5%20F17. (Swedish only)

From JAS 39-plan i olycka - Försvarsmakten (http://www.mil.se/sv/Forband-och-formagor/Forband/Blekinge-flygflottilj-F-17/Nyheter/JAS-plan-i-olycka/)

The Swedish AAIB will do the investigation. (Joint MIL / CIV thing in Sweden)

CirrusF
8th Aug 2009, 19:17
Guess he will buy the beers for some time!

If not career Endex.

But probably the swedes will hand-wring and send him/her on another human-factors course at yet more public expense.

Rigger1
8th Aug 2009, 19:47
If not career Endex.

I really don't see why. Why waste all the money spent training him and then get rid of him for making a mistake. He won't do it again, and therefore may be safer than other pilots, getting rid of him acheives nothing.

Ramember HF and the just culture.

Stitchbitch
8th Aug 2009, 19:56
Rigger 1, nail,head, on the. Didn't one of our whizzy Typhoons do a wheels up last year? What happened to the pilot, bet he didn't get sacked, probably got a promotion?
Why is the blunt end sticking up, did he/she try and lower the gear post gravel rash/expensive noises?:E

CirrusF
8th Aug 2009, 20:17
I really don't see why. Why waste all the money apent training him and then get rid of him for making a mistake.

Pour encourager les autres, as Napoleon used to say. It's not as if landing wheels up is a minor error..

chiglet
8th Aug 2009, 22:42
I have seen a clip on Pprune/Youtube where you can substitute Gripen for Mirage 2000[?] comlete with audio [Merde" is quite clearly heard]

kiwi grey
9th Aug 2009, 02:32
As Napoleon used to say ... no, actually it was Voltaire:
'Byng's execution was satirized by Voltaire in his novel Candide. In Portsmouth, Candide witnesses the execution of an officer by firing squad; and is told that "in this country, it is wise to kill an admiral from time to time to encourage the others" (Dans ce pays-ci, il est bon de tuer de temps en temps un amiral pour encourager les autres).' John Byng - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Byng)

Napoleon may well have approved from one point of view: Byng was the second son of a recently-ennobled family and therefore undoubtedly guilty of bourgeois tendencies.:}

On the other hand it lead to "a culture of aggressive determination which set British [Naval] officers apart from their foreign contemporaries", to the significant disadvantage of France.

Rigger1
9th Aug 2009, 09:10
Pour encourager les autres

Please tell me Cirrus F what exactly that would accomplish, do you work in aviation, have you heard of Safety, CRM, HF or do we punish on outcome, for genuine human mistakes, look up ERROR in the dictionary .

Yes, we must investigate such mistakes, and if a violation had occurred there must be a level of punishment equal to the level of violation – NOT THE OUTCOME . Tell me if you make a mistake do you cover it up, out of fear of reprisal from upon high, or do you own up so others don’t make the same mistake. And by doing so educate people and perhaps stop other falling into the trap. “Executing this Admiral” achieves nothing and drives open and honest reporting of mistakes underground, something the RAF is currently trying to prevent.

Green Flash
9th Aug 2009, 19:55
Why is the blunt end sticking up, did he/she try and lower the gear post gravel rash/expensive noises?

Fuel tank/recce pod/airfield furniture??? Would have thought it would take some pretty mental hyds to lift a jet off its belly?! (Given that the engine would have wound down and hyd pressure would be zilch).

VinRouge
9th Aug 2009, 20:44
You can see its balanced on its crushed centreline tank.

JEM60
10th Aug 2009, 10:53
Beats me as to what the hell the guys in the tower are doing. Don't they look at approaching aircraft anymore.?? Was at a U.S. Airshow a few years ago, Douglas Skyraider within 50 feet of the ground, slowing with no gear. Loud message from tower 'Skyraider Gear. Skyraider Gear!!'. It sure helps to look out of the window!!!

GPMG
10th Aug 2009, 11:31
Still think that my 2 beacon idea would stop all of this silly wheels up nonsense.

Not worth following it up now, seeing as all pilots will be replaced by Skynet and HAL soon. :eek:

BEagle
10th Aug 2009, 13:54
Beats me as to what the hell the guys in the tower are doing. Don't they look at approaching aircraft anymore.??

Often the answer is 'no' as they're probably busy with other tasks and don't simply watch landings. Learning Command and FJ stations used to have a runway caravan with an alert chap in it who, over the years, probably saved HM a fair bit of dosh!

I was Duty Pilot at Scampton once; we only had to be in the tower if one of our aircraft was within 100 miles (this was in Vulcan days). Whilst waiting for an aircraft to return, I happened to glance out of the window as a JP appeared at 250 ft over the nuclear weapons storage area, did a split-arse 180 and returned whence it came.

"Did you see that?", I asked. Neither controller nor assistant was looking out; in fact the NCO controller said he didn't even know what a JP looked like....:eek:

Well, I did. In fact the canopy shape and tip tanks clearly identified it as a Finningley Mk5. So..."Finningley please...click, buzz...Finningley here....JP Ops please...."
"JP Ops"
"Scampton Duty Pilot here. My compliments to whoever it was for the impressive but unannounced low level simulated attack on our nuclear weapons site a couple of minutes ago - it was most entertaining. However, I suspect that the pilot and his lad were probably after Blyton disused - please tell them that they can find it at about 340/12 from here! Fortunately no-one important seems to have noticed, so just a quiet word in the shell-like will do. Goodbye...click"

Happy days....:)

Wrathmonk
10th Aug 2009, 14:08
BEags

Surely you didn't say:

unannounced low level simulated attack on our nuclear weapons site

over an insecure land line....! Tut tut:=

Happy days ... :E

AQAfive
10th Aug 2009, 16:17
Seem to remember a Norwegian F5 landing at ISK in the 80's without using his wheels. Nice and smooth it was too for he settled on his long range tanks and skidded smartly to a stop.

As a Maritime base no runway caravan, they seem to think that between 13 of you someone will remember to put the wheels down.

I believe they jacked it up, undercarriage pins in and towed it off. Quick check and back in the air before too long. The pilot? Well he was the flight commander I do believe. So no danger of a sacking there, maybe promotion?

M609
10th Aug 2009, 21:53
The RNoAF has a proud tradition of promoting people landing gear up. :) The former commander of the air force, Brigadier General Colin Archer did a TGL on the dollies on his F-16 back in the 80s........then got the gear down and landed on the next attempt! :)

Madbob
11th Aug 2009, 09:28
It's not unique to the RNoAF! OC 5 Sqn Wg Cdr K*** at Binbrook made an in-advertant wheels up landing in an F3 in the early 80's. Quite spectacular and very lucky there was no fire after landing on the ventral.

The cause? Well, the SOP had been to raise the gear after every TO when doing circuits. This was changed to reduce wear on the UC being cycled. Habit got the better of the pilot downwind, selecting gear actually retracted the UC which had been left down after the last low approach and so the scene was set.....

It happened again earlier in April this year when a Typhoon FGR4, ZJ 943 coded "DK" of XI sqn which was on loan to 17 (R) sqn for weapons trials at China Lake air weapons station.

MB

Dengue_Dude
11th Aug 2009, 11:52
Try to look on the bright side . . . it saved both tyre AND brake-wear.

SEE . . . it's not so bad after all - AND it gives something for the engineers to do now that aircraft are SOoo reliable.

sitigeltfel
11th Aug 2009, 14:37
Neither controller nor assistant was looking out; in fact the NCO controller said he didn't even know what a JP looked like

This doesn't sound right! To have reached the rank of NCO controller in those days he/she would have had to come through the AATC ranks. Either that or crusty old NCO aircrew retrained in ATC. All ATC training was carried out at Shawbury, and guess what type of aircraft bashed around giving the students experience of controlling them?

BEagle
11th Aug 2009, 17:30
In the days when he would have been trained, surely CATCS was still flying the last of the RAF's Vampire T11s?

I thought that it was a rather stupid comment for him to have made....

TEEEJ
11th Aug 2009, 19:06
Flanker wheels up. The video has the footage of it being jacked up.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/G_AOacDEW2s&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/G_AOacDEW2s&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

TJ

taxydual
11th Aug 2009, 23:23
Whatever happened to the good old UUPI (Ultrasonic? Undercarriage Position Indicator).

It was fitted to every JP that I ever 'Runway Controlled' (12 years of blatting off red verey's at RAF Yorkshire).

I appreciate that the 'pip,pip,pip' integrated into the 'Finals, Three Greens' call could get on one's t*ts, (especially after hearing it about 300 times a day), but not to hear it, certainly concentrated the mind.

Interestingly enough, I only had to fire two reds for 'no wheels' in 12 years (apart from the b*ggers from JP Standards who deliberatley tried to catch me out).

I often wondered why it (UUPI) wasn't fitted as standard.