PDA

View Full Version : Jetstar Interview / Planning Exercise Info

wateroff
8th Aug 2009, 06:49
Gidday All,

The title asks the question I guess - I have done the search but only found information on "Dad he stole my toy..... well he poked his tongue out at me " and the like.

Just looking for some straight details without the childish bickering ..... or so help me "I'll pull this car over and you can walk"

Ta

:}

horserun
8th Aug 2009, 07:08
Hey,
When is your interview?

Artificial Horizon
8th Aug 2009, 08:07
I did the planning exercise about a year ago now and I have dredged up an email that I sent to another guy waiting interview. Here it is:

"The planning exercise was a bugger, I didn't have any time to research it at all as the interview was last minute. They give you a route that you are rostered to fly A - B - A - C with flight times a schedule and basic perfomance figures that allow you to work out fuel. Of course on departure you have a tech fault that doesn't effect timings but does increase fuel burn putting you first destination just out of reach. On the first landing you have to get the fault fixed which increases your turnaround time to two hours from one hour. Your job is to replan the day with the goal of sticking as close to the original schedule as possible. The kicker comes when you see the notam sheet for all of the available airports. Things like restricted fuel supplies, no maintenance, runways shut at certain times and of course crew FDP's. You are required to write out 3 different options before selecting the one scenario you want to proceed with after which you have to fill out a detailed flight log with fuel uplifts and burns and adjustments to the schedule. Time is the major issue, I though that I had it cracked and had come up with a scenario that would only lose a couple of hours on the original schedule, then as I was filling in the flight log with about 10 minutes to go realised that my crew would be about 20 minutes short on Duty Time. Well I swore quite a bit and plumped for a scenario that basically was the worst possible solution leading to over a nine hour delay!!! Doh!! All I can say is keep an eye on that time and keep reading those notams because every time you think you have cracked it there will be some detail in there that will screw it up for you."

I ended up passing the interview process so can't have messed it up to badly, advise is just to read the notams and then read them again and draw everything out with timings and fuel burns, good luck.

A.H.:ok:

WynSock
8th Aug 2009, 10:08
Tell us about your career up to now....
Why are you here? Why Jetstar?
When have you changed your communication style to get a point across?
How did you know your current style wasn’t working?
When have you been in a stressful situation?
How did you deal with it?
When have you had to discipline a person for their behavior at work ?
Do you feel you can do anything to improve you stress managing?
When have you had to work with somebody difficult/different?
Tell us about a time you lead a group (or took leadership of a situation/issue)?
When was it critical that you convinced somebody to take you point of view?
When have you been part of a team that worked really well?
When have you had to do a really monotonous task?
What motivated you to do it?
What are the biggest strengths you have as a leader?
What are your weaknesses as a leader, what attributes do you admire in leaders that you know or have worked with in the past that you wish to possess?
How do you motivate a team?
Tell us about your biggest non-aviation achievement
When have you had a stressful situation at work?
Tell us about disappointments you have had in your job
Give me a specific occasion in which you conformed to a policy with which you did not agree
Describe a situation where your work standards were not to your supervisor’s expectations
Tell us of situations in which you have had to adjust quickly to changes over which you had no control
Compare and contrast the times when your work was above the standard and times when your work was below the standards
Describe times when you were not satisfied or pleased with your performance
Give examples of experiences in a job that were satisfying
What kind of supervisor do you work best for?
Give me a specific example of something you did that helped build enthusiasm in others?
Tell me about difficult situation when it was desirable for you to keep a positive attitude
Tell us about a time you had a conflict with a captain
Tell us about a time a person voiced concern about your performance
Tell us about a time you had to work with different people
Tell us about a time you had to work with difficult people
Tell us about a time you had to deal with a difficult passenger
Tell us about a time when you did not agree/have difficulty with your supervisor
How would you evaluate your ability to deal with conflict?
Describe a situation where you found yourself dealing with someone who didn’t like you
Tell us about a time you did not meet a deadline
Tell us about projects you have been involved in
Give an example of how you prioritize your work
Give an example of an important goal which you had set in the past and tell me about you success in reaching it
Describe the most significant presentation you had to meet
Recall a time when you where assigned a complex project? What steps did you take to prepare and finish the project? Where you happy with the outcome? What would you have done differently given the chance?
What was the most complex assignment you have had?
Describe some projects or ideas that were implemented or carried out successfully because of you ideas
How do you determine priorities in scheduling your time?
Tell me about a time you had to handle multiple responsibilities?
Describe the system you use for keeping track of multiple projects?
How do you stay focused?
When have you had a difficult circumstance to complete a task?
Was your greatest obstacle in over coming to learn to fly?
Would you say that you can easily deal with high-pressure situations?
Describe an instance when you had to think your feet to extricate yourself from a difficult situation
Give me a specific example of a time when you used good judgment and logic in solving a problem
Describe a time when you were faced with problems or stresses that tested your copying skills
Give an example of a time in which you had to be relatively quick in coming to a decision
Tell me about a time you had to go over and beyond the call of duty to get a job done
What steps do you follow to study a problem before making a decision
We can sometimes identify a small problem and fix it before it becomes a major one?
Give example of how you have done this
Recall a time when you manager was unavailable and a problem arose
Describe a situation that required a number of things to be done at the same time? How did you handle it? What was the result?
Tell me about a problem you recently handled
Tell us about a time you have had to change your style of communication
When have you had to change some ones mind to agree with you
Describe the type of supervisor that has created the most beneficial learning experience for you
Describe a situation in which you were able to use persuasion to successfully convince someone to see things your way
Describe a time when you had to use your written communication skills to get an important point across
Give an example when you were able to successfully communicate with another person even when that individual may not have liked you? Vice versa?
Tell me a time when your active listening skills paid of for you? Maybe A time when other people missed the key idea?
What has been your experience in giving presentations? What has been your most difficult experience in speech making
Give me a time you sold your supervisor on an idea or concept?
Sometimes it is easy to get in over your head? Describe a situation where you had to request help on a project or assignment?
Give an example of how you applied knowledge from previous situations in another situation?
Have you found any ways to make a job easier or more rewarding or to make yourself more effective
Tell me a time when you had to make a decision but didn’t have all the information you needed to
Tell me a time when you came up with an innovative solution to a challenge your company was facing?
Tell us about a time you had to take command of the situation?
Give me an example of a time you had to make an important decision? How did you make the decision?
Give me an example of a time you had to persuade other people to take action?
Are you more energized by working with data or by collaborating with other individuals?
How would you describe yourself in terms of your ability to work as a member of a team?
What is the biggest mistake you've made?
Give me a specific example of a time when a co-worker or classmate criticized your work in front of others. How did you respond? How has that event shaped the way you communicate with others?

The planning excercise is an irrelevant waste of time - in the real world, call ops.:rolleyes:

Chadzat
8th Aug 2009, 10:22
Wynsock- what a brilliant list of possible interview questions that is. I have just saved that as a word document for future reference! :ok:

From a distance
8th Aug 2009, 10:53
I agree the list of questions is a brilliant source for future reference but the questions themselves are far from brilliant. So much psycho babble , touchy feely rubbish from people who don't understand the job of pilot. Tell us about a time blah blah blah.......

hoss
8th Aug 2009, 11:59
good work wynsock for helping out the guys with upcoming interviews.

but what an absolute load of crap those questions are. what a mockery on our profession. someone should show some "leadership" at jetstar and wipeout such a process.

ps. i'll try and attach some of the actual QF/JQ psychometric and skills examinations soon!

Lookleft
9th Aug 2009, 01:25
The behavoural type questions are not restricted to Jetstar and are used across the QF Group.

myshoutcaptain
9th Aug 2009, 04:15
thank you for the questions :ok:

startingout
9th Aug 2009, 06:52
Thanks alot for those, gives me a great starting point.

SO:ok:

auto throttle
31st Aug 2009, 09:06
Anyone done the phone interview?

Mr. Hat
31st Aug 2009, 12:46
phone interview?

thats a new one.

Richard Kranium
31st Aug 2009, 13:31
yeah, you get to talk to a Bring-Bring...defies belief the garbage these people come up with, proves that the airline is run by incompetent morons.:sad:

auto throttle
1st Sep 2009, 00:06
Yeh I got offered a phone interview, but I have never heard of that with Jetstar before.

Mr. Hat
19th Sep 2009, 04:09
So are there any tech questions or is it all "tell us about a time"?

Whats the word on courses/bases/ and how long recuitment will go.

Know of some going to Darwin - sounds like the expansion is on for that base.

What sort of flying do they do out of Darwin?