PDA

View Full Version : Flying to Channel Islands?

Contacttower
7th Aug 2009, 21:49
Apologies since this question has probably been answered on here before (although I could quite get the question I was looking for out of the search function).

If I want to fly to the Channel Islands from a non-designated airfield I know I need to submit a GAR form (one each for the flight there and back yes?) and notify Special Branch in writing within 12 hours of departure.

What is slightly confusing me is what exactly to do with the GAR form, do I fax it both to the customs number and the police number also on the form? (I take it faxing them counts as 'notifying in writing' yes?) and how do I make sure I've got an up to date form with the right numbers on it?

Is there anything else I need to do other than the obvious like file a flight plan?

Another_CFI
8th Aug 2009, 08:10
Check with the airfield from which you will be flying. At the non-designated airfield from which I fly it is simply a matter of emailing or faxing the GAR form to the tower and they do the rest.

englishal
8th Aug 2009, 17:58
When I fly to the CI from a non customs, non designated airfield I email the GAR to Customs NCU and the local SB stating in and out times on the same form (if it is a day trip)...so one form emailed to NCU and SB 12 hours in advance (minimum). File the flight plan 1 hr before on AFPEx and then hit the road.

I phoned the local Ports unit to get their email address and check if it was ok to email. Fine they said and I never get a reply or response.

Jodelman
9th Aug 2009, 16:10
Do you have to send SB a GAR form? I can see nothing in the Terrorism Act 2000 that requires you to do so. Only that you should notify in writing with no format being specified.

S-Works
9th Aug 2009, 17:20
No format is specified, it is just a notification. But if you have filled a GAR you might as well just send the same form to everyone!

wsmempson
9th Aug 2009, 17:37
IF I have planned a day or so in advance to go to the CI, I'll go down the 12hr notice to HMC&I and SB route. If it's more spur of the moment, I'll file in the usual way and simply drop into cherbourg (usually for one of Luc and Edith's steak-frites lunches) and then go onwards to the CI from Cherbourg. To go back, you can reverse this procedure.

Contacttower
9th Aug 2009, 19:13
OK thanks guys, I think I've worked it out...I sent a copy of the GAR form to both SB and customs (on the advice of my club as well) so I should be good to go.

S-Works
9th Aug 2009, 19:40
Where you going? I will be in Guernsey tomorrow leaving Tuesday.

OA32
10th Aug 2009, 11:29
wsmempson

IF I have planned a day or so in advance to go to the CI, I'll go down the 12hr notice to HMC&I and SB route. If it's more spur of the moment, I'll file in the usual way and simply drop into cherbourg (usually for one of Luc and Edith's steak-frites lunches) and then go onwards to the CI from Cherbourg. To go back, you can reverse this procedure.

Special Branch, if they found out, would consider the Channel Islands as being your final destination, so you are breaking the law. A few C.I. based pilots used to do this until this was made clear to them. If people get caught doing this then more draconian restrictions could be introduced making life difficult for others who remain within the spirit of the law.

S-Works
10th Aug 2009, 11:50
OA32. I would be interested in seeing the law that you refer to. It is my understanding from my own SB unit in Northampton that once you are in Europe which Cherbourg constitutes, your onward destination is nothing to do with UK SB. They have told me they are only interested in direct flights as it is there view that it is up to the CI and French authorities to do whatever they need before onward flight.

We have enough pointless rules without making more up.

However if you can show me where the law states any different I am prepared to listen.

Aerial Chauffeur
10th Aug 2009, 12:57
Where you going? I will be in Guernsey tomorrow leaving Tuesday.

Found a new place to drop 'meat bombs' Steve? :E

Jodelman
10th Aug 2009, 13:02
Special Branch, if they found out, would consider the Channel Islands as being your final destination, so you are breaking the law.

The SB man that visited our airstrip a couple of years ago said that if our intended final destination was the CI we needed to advise them of the trip.

When questioned on this he said he would get back to us with the legislation detailing this. He never did.

OA32
10th Aug 2009, 13:19
I am merely passing on what I've experienced and been told, admittedly this was a few years ago. Remember that there is more than one constabulary and while Northampton may be okay with this procedure, others may not be so accommodating. Don't forget there's room for interpretation on both sides of it.

Contacttower
11th Aug 2009, 09:17
Where you going? I will be in Guernsey tomorrow leaving Tuesday.I was going to go yesterday...in the end I never did since it was only meant to be a day trip and I didn't like the look of the TAF for later on in the day. We went to the Isle of Wight and got stuck there instead. :ugh:

IF I have planned a day or so in advance to go to the CI, I'll go down the 12hr notice to HMC&I and SB route. If it's more spur of the moment, I'll file in the usual way and simply drop into cherbourg (usually for one of Luc and Edith's steak-frites lunches) and then go onwards to the CI from Cherbourg. To go back, you can reverse this procedure

That is what my club suggested...I'm not sure whether its legal of not though.

Fuji Abound
11th Aug 2009, 10:30
Hmm, I thought yesterday was a good example of the TAFs being a little optomistic. You would have thought the prob 30 of scattered at 1,000 would have given plenty of opportunity for a VFR bimble. The prob 30 quickly evolved into a broken at 1,000 and in reality proved to be a very solid overcast at 800. Ah well.

Not really a VFR afternoon at all.

I am with SteveC - coming from France and I am certainly not going to tell anyone. I would also be amazed if the law says otherwise. How do you constuct a law which includes such terms as your final destination when you might stay in Fance for an hour, a day, a week etc. At what point does your "final destination" become final? Not withstanding my final destination has always eventually been Blighty (although I am beginning to wonder if that was a mistake these days) so I guess I dont have to tell anyone anything using that logic :) since I always finally arrive back from whence I started.

englishal
11th Aug 2009, 11:49
Of course everyone knows Alderney is heaving with Al Qaeda Suicide Bombers...and hence the need for this perfectly sensible and proportionate legislation.:hmm:

jxk
11th Aug 2009, 13:11
I seem to remember that SB rules were introduced when the IRA were the treat - perhaps they still are?

Lazy skip
11th Aug 2009, 13:44
Hi guys,

Can anyone that has been there recently give me a quick recap of the procedure to be followed re. custom into EGJB, going there on the 13th, inbound from France with a German registered Bonanza, a couple of hr. stay then back to France.
Thanks

Ni Thomas
12th Aug 2009, 11:31
Err,....
In Bound

Plan to depart France from a Customs Designated French Airfield (eg Cherbourg)
File flight Plan to EGJB.
Fly.
Avoid The Prohibited area around Cherbourg (P81) and Nuclear plants (eg Cap D'la Hague and Flamanville).
Land.
Fill in the forms in the reporting office (base of tower).
Pay your landing fee.
Buy cheap fuel.

Outbound

File flight plan -
Go
Avoid blah blah blah
Land at French Customs designated airfield.

Simples.