PDA

View Full Version : 11 air traffic control jobs to go

sinky
6th Aug 2009, 19:26
is it a sign of things to come in nats

ELEVEN jobs are to be axed at air traffic control at Jersey Airport over the next two years.

Six posts will disappear ahead of a more automated system being introduced next year when the new control tower is operational, with a further five to follow in 2011.

The new system will make the role of air traffic control assistant redundant. Currently, 11 people hold that position and their jobs will be scrapped over the next two years.

Some of the staff will be redeployed elsewhere within the Airport or in other States posts. The staff members were formally told on Monday following consultation with unions.

Both voluntary redundancy and retirement packages will be offered with an assurance given that compulsory redundancy will be a last resort

Traffic is...
6th Aug 2009, 20:24
Been happening on the mainland for a while. Welcome to the world of air traffic automation.....

west atc
6th Aug 2009, 20:31
11 air traffic control jobs to go

You should get a job in the media with sensationalist headlines like that.

This may start a war but there is a big difference between ATC assistants and Air Traffic Controllers.

ATC Assistant jobs have been disappearing gradually for a few years now.

Ceannairceach
6th Aug 2009, 21:51
Er, hardly sensationalist. 11 air traffic control jobs are going. FACT!

west atc, you win my "pedant of the day" award. Well done. Have a badge.

White Hart
7th Aug 2009, 00:31
As said, it has been happening on the mainland and will continue to do so across NATS wherever there are support grades in post. To those affected at JJ, life actually does go on outside of NATS, so dont be afraid to take a chance - cut n' run with the dosh whilst its still available. :ok:

'This may start a war but there is a big difference between ATC assistants and Air Traffic Controllers.'

yes there definitely is. EVERY assistant is able to buy a hat that fits.

ImnotanERIC
7th Aug 2009, 07:23
"see you jimmy" hats are elasticated aren't they?

sinky
7th Aug 2009, 07:39
west atc,

the whole post apart inc title (apart from my nats comment) was lifted from a web site called jersey evening post. maybe you would like to congratulate them on journalism!

11 air traffic control jobs to go News This Is Jersey (http://www.thisisjersey.com/2009/08/04/11-air-traffic-control-jobs-to-go/)

GBALU53
7th Aug 2009, 08:21
A number of issues here.

Assistants shafted by the temporay contracted people who were brought down to certify the C.I. control Zone to be an ANSP which they have done for many years anyway they had to have a tick in the correct box,and you know who that company is as alread said.

These contracted people will walk away when there contract comes to an end, then the Island will have to try and pick up the pieces of a real big mess.

The equipment that is going in will be fully automated??? so they say?? it is not a fully tried and tested system operating any where else, so does this mean the ATC unit will be big guinea pig for this project.

Some of the equipment is up and running at a number of places, this will be the first place from what I understand to have it all working together??

All this does paint the makings of one big F up as they say.

luv pringles
7th Aug 2009, 12:45
In relation to EFPS, yes that has been at a number of units for years and does work, how is the weather going to be done fully auto or ATCO?. The way i understand it, is once EFPS is up and running, the only ATSA task is the weather, you might be the first unit to totally lose that task, and if that is so, then it will not be long before that is rolled out at all other units. i believe management wish to reduce the current redundancy terms fairly soon, which if true is not good news, i wish you all the best, but there are other jobs, i know i was an ATSA once

Neptune262
9th Aug 2009, 04:46
Sad news :{

Sorry to hear about that guys. Hope the packages and relocations work out for everyone.

Yes, unfortunately, ATCAs are being replaced by computers, but how useful are computers when an emergency happens and all the phones start ringing or extra phone calls are required to be made? Then an ATCA is worth their weight in gold to the ATCO trying to deal with the situation!

OA32
10th Aug 2009, 22:01
Yahoo

If thats who I think you mean then the answer is a resounding yes.

Track Coastal
11th Aug 2009, 05:33
The new system will make the role of air traffic control assistant redundant. Currently, 11 people hold that position and their jobs will be scrapped over the next two years.

Australia hasn't had Tower assistants in a decade since Eurocat was introduced (and the crew on the pole still paper strips automatically printed by the system).

BALLOO53
11th Aug 2009, 05:50
Yahoo

It looks like you must have worked with the said person???

Or do you just know the person personnally??

GBALU53
11th Aug 2009, 20:39
Some people must think NATS is the place to go??
On another forum they are asking about being interviewed for NATS jobs.
They might not be jobs in air traffic they could be jobs out side Controlling or being an ATSA??
Could be just asking for a secure job in aviation???
If so they shouldask what happens when you are called in to say you are not required any more.
Here is your P45 or what ever it is called these days and the post code for the nearest labour exchange is XYZ.

Track Coastal
12th Aug 2009, 04:22
I really am sorry for those unfortunate to suffer under this reign of terror
Bringing British ATC technologically into the 21st century is a reign of terror?