PDA

View Full Version : From Pilot to Controller?

avkiwi
4th Aug 2009, 04:32
I am a GA pilot who has had a lot of fun flying GA over the last few years however have got to a point where I want a change of lifestyle. I am not interested in the airlines and wondered if ATC could perhaps be for me.
The only thing holding me back is the question “will I miss the flying”
Are there many pilots in ATC who have trained to CPL IR level then moved onto ATC?
Is ATC interested in Pilots moving from flying to ATC?

slackie
4th Aug 2009, 05:18
There's no reason that you need to "give up" flying altogether...why not fly for fun?!

One of the problems we have is an ever increasing number of controllers that have no flying experience...10hrs of "flight deck time" doesn't give a trainee controller an appreciation for what occurs on the flight deck. Having said that, just because you are a pilot doesn't guarantee you'll make it as a controller, but it sure gives you a great headstart!!

In the same vein, it would be good to see more pilots, particularly RPTs, coming up to the towers to see what it's like on the other side of the microphone...might give them a better appreciation of some of the challenges we face (although we still have some swine flu visitor restrictions).

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
4th Aug 2009, 07:08
In the UK there are many, many controllers who are pilots - some with ATPLs flying in command. Of course, you could continue to fly privately too, as do hundreds of controllers.

Your posting makes it sound as if you are idly thinking of something to do "ah, wonder what ATC is like?" It's not easy and should be recognised as a career totally different to flying. The training for professional controller is as strenuous as that for professional flying licences and every pilot I have ever had sitting next to me at work has been amazed at what ATC involves. Most didn't fancy trying it.

I suggest you make contact with ATC at your local airfield - as long as it's a real airport and not a grass field for clockwork mice - and see if you can spend time with the controllers. This would give you a far better insight into the job than anything we can tell you on here.

Best of luck...

Whip99
4th Aug 2009, 12:42
An en-route controller at Melbourne Center takes up a C-172 from my school every few weeks. I've got no idea which one he got into first though.

It's a good feeling knowing that a controller appreciates the other side.

aviones
4th Aug 2009, 12:59
You should heed Heathrow Director's comments. Flying throws up many frustrations trying to get a job and it's slow progress towards a descent airline job. I went the other way. I was a Controller for 15 years and now fly an A380. ATC was the more challenging job in my opinion. ATC is a great job but not easier than going flying.

JonathanB
4th Aug 2009, 14:40
I always wanted to become an ATCO and also learn to fly. After a city career in IT and learning to fly, I'm about to start training at NATS in October. I already hold a CPL and FI rating (but not an IR) and I'm hoping that once settled at a unit with NATS I'll be able to continue teaching in my time off. I think most people might do it the other way around though! :)

BaldEd
4th Aug 2009, 22:06
I wanted to become an ATCO, so I learnt to fly in order to get the necessary aviation background for entry to an adult entry ATCO course. My PPL experience proved invaluable during my 39 year career. The only regret was in not being allowed to stay at my initial aerodrome posting long enough to complete my CPL studies and take advantage of the plenty of part-time commercial flying available there. It is a mystery as to where I may have ended up if I hadn't been posted to a radar centre so soon?

Tarq57
5th Aug 2009, 07:03
When I was younger, I always wanted to fly, and joined ATC because part of the training was a PPL course, which I did. (Had already done about 50hours, here and there, and solo'd in a Rhonlerche then a Cherokee)

As the ATC career progressed, however, I found myself enjoying the job enough that the urge to become a professional pilot waned gradually. I still enjoyed flying, and did about another 450 hours total, as a PPL.

Now I'm starting to find that ATC looks like it's heading down the road of being "procedures-based" instead of "skills-based". In a few years a lot of the enjoyment in the job is likely to be seriously diminished. I could not in all honestly recommend it as a career move, for the time being. Not in this country. Time will tell.

criss
5th Aug 2009, 21:54
About 20 percent of ATCOs at my place hold some sort of licence (many of them commercial ones, two ATPLs). Some started before controlling, others the other way round.

captain747_747
6th Aug 2009, 11:57
AVIONES, how did you go from ATCO to A380 ?
How old were you when you applied to a airline company ?
Was the experience as ATCO rather positive against your "old" age ?