PDA

View Full Version : EU Working Time Directive & SAR

Wig Wag
3rd Aug 2009, 12:13
A source close to the SAR fleet recently expressed concern that the RAF's adoption of the EU Working Time Directive was going to directly impinge on the the Search and Rescue fleet's primary tasking.

Has this issue been resolved?

Wig Wag
3rd Aug 2009, 18:34
Good. End of thread.

3rd Aug 2009, 20:43
Do you mean the bit where we man the FI on a flight by flight basis so that the losing flights (2 at any one time) will be down to 12 hour shifts (that's either 12 hours at night or 12 hours by day and effectively off-state for half the time)?

No, surely no-one would sign up to that - the FI fully manned whilst the UKSAR coverage is further compromised:(

Griz
4th Aug 2009, 09:37
We're subject to that are we? :confused:

liedtoagain
4th Aug 2009, 10:39
If SAR is operational, does EU working time directive apply?

Does sitting watching DVD's come under work or break?

Pin pulled, running away......:O

4th Aug 2009, 11:55
Nice try liedtoagain - it depends if the DVDs are 'educational' or not:)

As I understand it, although many EU countries have thrown out the WTD, Britain jumped the gun and had it enshrined in UK law so we are now compelled to abide by it.

Whereas in the 'Stan where there is a military imperative and EU WTD can be disregarded, the UKSARF has no military imperative and therefore no get out of jail card.

It is unfortunate that at the same time, some senior officers decided we could be reduced from 5 to 4 crews per flight (it takes 5.7 crews to man 24/7 SAR according to WTD rules) and we are now waiting for Ministers to see if they will 'accept/manage' the risk that having not enough people to do the job entails.

I doubt the Ministers will fully understand the implications of the WTD on SAR until there is an incident in one of their constituencies where life is lost because no SAR aircraft was available. I know this can already happen due to unserviceabilities or other tasking but it isn't the same as a premeditated reduction is UKSAR cover just to save money.

All the boll*cks about providing more crews to SH and putting the 'war' effort first is bluster - they could have more aircraft available in theatre tomorrow if they just provided enough spares; you can have as many aircraft and crews as you like (and we have plenty it seems) but without spares, the aircraft sit uselessly on the ground.

NURSE
4th Aug 2009, 16:02
Yes but a minister standing infront of crates of spares waxing lyrical about increasing capicty doesn't look half as good as a minister standing infront of a helicopter so new the paint is barely dry waxing lyrical about increasing capicity.

Wig Wag
5th Aug 2009, 06:41
It is unfortunate that at the same time, some senior officers decided we could be reduced from 5 to 4 crews per flight (it takes 5.7 crews to man 24/7 SAR according to WTD rules) and we are now waiting for Ministers to see if they will 'accept/manage' the risk that having not enough people to do the job entails.

I doubt the Ministers will fully understand the implications of the WTD on SAR until there is an incident in one of their constituencies where life is lost because no SAR aircraft was available.

So I take it the Minister has yet to grant an alleviation from the WTD for SAR?

Yes? No?

6th Aug 2009, 06:27
Wigwag - I believe the the SARF has presented 2Gp and upwards with a series of options if we are to try and man the SARF with 4 crews per flight and man the FI and comply with the WTD. Those options need to be signed off at Ministerial level because of the potentially disasterous effects on UK SAR cover. Along with much other stuff, I suspect these decisions have been delayed until after the Summer recess.

Wig Wag
8th Aug 2009, 06:30
Many thanks for your comments. I note that BALPA sorted out this situation for the Coastgaurd:

BALPA - SEARCH AND RESCUE PILOTS FLYING AGAIN (http://www.balpa.org/News-and-campaigns/Press/SEARCH-AND-RESCUE-PILOTS-FLYING-AGAIN.aspx)

As a member of the public I find this political situation with the SAR fleet utterly disgraceful and will be making some enquiries.

Sgt.Slabber
8th Aug 2009, 14:36
One way of "solving" the issue :mad:

BBC NEWS | UK | England | Devon | 'Day only' rescue helicopter plan (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/8191314.stm)

Spartacan
8th Aug 2009, 17:51
That BBC report sounds like a calculated piece of spin to defuse the EU issue. Call me a cynic but I wouldn't have put it past the MOD to have chucked that idea into the public domain without fully evaluating it.