PDA

View Full Version : Valencia

Hugh_Jarse
2nd Aug 2009, 13:37
I'll be making a trip to Valencia in November for the MotoGP - does anyone have any advice on routes/local knowledge/procedures etc ? Almost certainly flying VFR.

Thanks

Hugh

A and C
2nd Aug 2009, 17:05
Just follow the VFR arrival published in the Jeppesen charts, the only problem that I had was that the pick up from the GA park was a bit slow.

172driver
4th Aug 2009, 02:18
Valencia must me the worst airport for GA in Spain. :yuk:

First, check, if they have mandatory slot times for your arrival. They have a tendency to think of themselves as something much, much bigger and institute slots for events in the area. Check the NOTAMS well back, this is sometimes buried in a months-old one.

Second, you will be forced to park at the far end of the airfield. This also means, that you will be forced to use handling (Servisair or others) for the transfer to the terminal. Last time I was there, EUR 50, but I have already paid much more during some sort of event.

The fuel station is right next to the ARO - but don't even dream of parking on the huge apron in front of it while you file your flight plan.

Landing and parking fees are low, as per AENA schedule.

You have been warned......

jellycopter
4th Aug 2009, 08:10
Hi

I flew to Spain a couple of years ago and ended up diverting into Valencia with high oil temp in my Tri-KIS. I put out a 'Pan' which confused the ATC controller but eventually he got the message and cleared me straight in. They had a 737 overshoot at about 5 miles finals to leave the runway clear for me and made all the other commercial traffic hold until I was safely on the ground. I was parked on the GA apron and stayed for a week until i had the snag fixed. Everyone was hugely freindly and helpful and from memory, it cost about 36 Euros.

If you don't mind a small drive, there's a private tarmac strip up the coast about 10 mins flying time away at Castellon. It's possible to hire a car in the town and drive into Valancia if you want to avoid the International Airport. There's a small restaurant at the airfield and better restaurants, hotels and a great beach within walking distance. The local pilots are very freindly and made me extremely welcome and even invited my wife and I to join them for Sunday Lunch (rabbit paella and baby octopus).

JJ