PDA

View Full Version : Convenient little application for UK GA weather information

Superpilot
1st Aug 2009, 23:07
Hi all,

Thought I'd share this with you. It's a little MS Windows app I have written which fetches weather information pages from some of my favourite websites / sources on the web and places them all together into one tidy and easy to access portal.

It's targeted at Mr Joe Average UK General Aviation Pilot and I don't claim that it does anything special. However, I'm sure it will save you lots of time when searching for weather information in preparation for UK GA flights.

You will require Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 or greater, which you should have if you've been keeping your Windows up to date but full instructions for download are provided.

The app provides a very quick and easy method of getting the latest METAR and TAF information from one of the worlds most trusted sources - ADDS for as many airports as you require. You can configure the METAR and TAF data to automatically update too therefore ensuring you're always looking at the latest weather reports. It also provides links to the F214 and F215 charts, Visible and IR satellite charts as well as a rainfall radar chart all from the Met Office. Pressure, temp, viz and other weather charts courtesy of xc-weather are also included. There are also a couple of tabs for your own custom pages.

Aviation Weather Station v1.0 (http://81.99.227.55/public/AWXS.zip)

Thanks

Ryan5252
2nd Aug 2009, 02:41
Thanks for that - this is a great wee app indeed; well worth the 3 second download :ok:

Now, if anyone can find a way to change the results please let me know!! :ugh:

Bigglesthefrog
2nd Aug 2009, 07:14
Superpilot
I tried to download this and got the following message:-

This file is neither allocated to a Premium Account, or a Collector's Account, and can therefore only be downloaded 10 times.
This limit is reached.
To download this file, the uploader either needs to transfer this file into his/her Collector's Account, or upload the file again. The file can later be moved to a Collector's Account. The uploader just needs to click the delete link of the file to get further information.

Computers.... who'd av' 'em:ugh:

Superpilot
2nd Aug 2009, 07:35
Biggles, link now fixed.

Piper.Classique
2nd Aug 2009, 20:51
Well, thank you, but the link sends me to a russian dating agency, so not a lot of weather forecasting there........

Superpilot
2nd Aug 2009, 20:59
OK, I've stopped using the free file sharing websites. I have now hosted it on my own webserver and updated the above link. No more problems I promise.

Fuji Abound
2nd Aug 2009, 21:47
Tell you what would be an amazing application - one which would display NOTAMs graphically (like Notamplot) on an iPHone type applet or any other mobile phone display.

Superpilot
3rd Aug 2009, 06:59
Tell you what would be an amazing application - one which would display NOTAMs graphically (like Notamplot) on an iPHone type applet or any other mobile phone display.

Beyond me! Bound to be a PPruner or two who could do this.

If you are just getting the raw data and not attempting to translate then you should be OK.

Yes. I'm using it for raw data only. I'll add that I've never seen a difference between the MetOffice METARs/TAFs and the ADDS ones. I just searched for EGSS's METAR and found them to be identical in the manner they're displayed. However as of 0800 this morning. MetOffice's latest METAR for EGSS is the one issued at 0620Z wheras ADDS has 0650Z :ugh:

liam548
3rd Aug 2009, 20:42
great app thanks. It doesnt cover all UK airfields though does it, presume as it does not get WX for the ICAO codes from a UK source?

Superpilot
6th Aug 2009, 11:41
I've not discovered any difference between The MetOffice and ADDS METAR/TAF service in over 5 years (both in terms of content and the airfields they cover). I'm not sure but I think The MetOffice and ADDS use the same aggregated METAR/TAF sources. So they have to be identical.

JW411
6th Aug 2009, 16:23
I still reckon that for simple GA services such as Olivia, the French have us beaten into a corner.

For sheer simplicity, the following is very hard to beat for met information in Europe:

MET'MAP - ORBIFLY FLIGHT SCHOOL - IFR ET CPL AMERICAIN EN EUROPE - FAA IFR AND CPL IN EUROPE (http://www.orbifly.com/ORBITEST/metmap.php)