PDA

View Full Version : Licence query

Torque Tonight
31st Jul 2009, 13:00
I was issued with a UK CAA PPL over a decade ago but more recently qualified for a UK JAA CPL/IR. I was not asked to surrender the PPL on issue of the CPL and therefore have both the UK CAA brown book and a UK JAA blue book.

Does my PPL therefore still stand in its own right as a UK national licence or did it cease to exist when I upgraded to the JAA CPL? I will shortly have to convert my CPL to that of another JAA country and need to know whether legally I will still hold a UK PPL? (The licence numbers are the same apart from the PP/CP bit.)

I know I could just phone the CAA but I reckon on a Frday afternoon I'll get more sense out of Pprune! Thanks:ok:

Keygrip
31st Jul 2009, 13:54
You may hold both - at least for now.

Whopity
31st Jul 2009, 20:47
JAR-FCL says you can only hold one JAA licence. It does not say you cannot hold a National licence as well so as Keygrip says its still valid.

flybymike
1st Aug 2009, 01:22
But for how much longer remains to be seen....:rolleyes:

Whopity
1st Aug 2009, 09:11
March 1012 is the projected date but I am told it is likely to be longer!

flybymike
1st Aug 2009, 17:16
March 1012 was quite some time ago....;)

Torque Tonight
6th Aug 2009, 12:23
Thanks for the replies. I received this from the CAA yesterday, so here's the official line.

Your UK PPL (A) is a lifetime licence and will remain valid for your lifetime providing you hold a current rating and a JAR Class 2 medical or higher.

This licence is completely separate so you can run this alongside the JAR CPL (A) if you wish.

Cheers, TT:ok:

Rodent1982
6th Aug 2009, 13:22
Lifetime? I though the PPL was valid for 5 years? While the rating is valid for 3?

Contacttower
6th Aug 2009, 14:24
I though the PPL was valid for 5 years? While the rating is valid for 3?

The JAR-FCL PPL (as issued now to all new PPLs in Europe) is valid for 5 years with an SEP rating valid for two, the old CAA UK PPL was valid for life though.

flybymike
6th Aug 2009, 16:56
The JAR five yearly renewal amounts to nothing other than a five yearly tax take. There is no reason whatsoever for a licence to be renewed when it is only valid if accompanied by a current medical or rating, other than for revenue raising puposes for the bureaucrats who invent all this cr*p

That is quite an interesting reply from The CAA, although whether the CAA licence will continue to be recognised in the rest of europe is arguably another matter, even if the licence is fully ICAO compliant.

An SEP rating is valid for two years, not three.

(Edit.Contact Tower beat me to it.;))